Miller is averaging nearly a point every two games

That's one way to say nearly a half a point per game. lol

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

I read that was twice and thought the same thing.

I don't think Miller is far off from the NHL club. He just needs more work/consistency in his own end.

gary laser eyes

Apr 6, 2007
I really liked what I saw from Miller in the WJC. Plays a tough up and down game and not afraid to go into the corners or dirty areas in front of the net. Is also apparently a fitness freak and does have some hands:

Yes, that would be the great Adam Larsson that he absolutely abuses there. Hoping for a late season call up.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Considering the Rangers were trying to sign Arnott, I would doubt they believe Miller is that close to NHL ready. Same with the deals for Mashinter and Ferriero.

He needs some time in the AHL. Normally he would be playing his second season in the OHL right now.

truebluegoalie

Nov 28, 2008
Virginia
Considering the Rangers were trying to sign Arnott, I would doubt they believe Miller is that close to NHL ready. Same with the deals for Mashinter and Ferriero.

He needs some time in the AHL. Normally he would be playing his second season in the OHL right now.

I don't disagree about his readiness, but I doubt the Arnott deal had anything to do with that.

gary laser eyes

Apr 6, 2007

Miller was a consensus 1st round pick. Ferriero was a 7th round pick and Mashinter undrafted. Obviously draft position doesn't always mean everything but it gives a good indication of what NHL scouts see in potential.

I've never really seen Ferriero play before he came here, but looking at his stats and judging from his one game, he could be a useful player. Ideally he's a 4th liner that can move up a line or two if needed. Mashinter has great size but doubt he makes an impact in the NHL. I think Arnott was to be brought in specifically for the PP and for offensive zone faceoffs. Having Arnott take a regular shift at even strength would have been more of a liability at this point of his career.

You are correct though that Miller needs more time in the AHL. If he follows the recent NYR developmental curve, we can hope he finishes out this year in the AHL strong and be around a PPG player next season in the AHL unless he makes the team out of camp. I know it's early to call him up this season but I'm just anxious to see some fresh blood due to the lack of talent/depth in our bottom 6. Dubinsky made the team after one year in Hartford where he put up .5 ppg.

I see Miller as a sure-fire NHL 3rd liner due to his physicality with 2nd line upside if his offensive game can develop. Basically Dubi reincarnated.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

Sure sounds better than "Miller has fewer points than Tommy Grant and even Blake Parlett."

Look, I give him a lot of credit for being able to stick in the AHL as a teenager and not embarrass himself, but he's nowhere near the best player in Hartford. Not by a mile.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Miller was a consensus 1st round pick. Ferriero was a 7th round pick and Mashinter undrafted. Obviously draft position doesn't always mean everything but it gives a good indication of what NHL scouts see in potential.

I've never really seen Ferriero play before he came here, but looking at his stats and judging from his one game, he could be a useful player. Ideally he's a 4th liner that can move up a line or two if needed. Mashinter has great size but doubt he makes an impact in the NHL. I think Arnott was to be brought in specifically for the PP and for offensive zone faceoffs. Having Arnott take a regular shift at even strength would have been more of a liability at this point of his career.

You are correct though that Miller needs more time in the AHL. If he follows the recent NYR developmental curve, we can hope he finishes out this year in the AHL strong and be around a PPG player next season in the AHL unless he makes the team out of camp. I know it's early to call him up this season but I'm just anxious to see some fresh blood due to the lack of talent/depth in our bottom 6. Dubinsky made the team after one year in Hartford where he put up .5 ppg.

I see Miller as a sure-fire NHL 3rd liner due to his physicality with 2nd line upside if his offensive game can develop. Basically Dubi reincarnated.

Upside is great and potential is fun for teams not looking to truly contend but what I meant was that the Rangers must not have been enthused with the call-up options they have for right now so they decided to go out and get some players who they may have thought could contribute if needed. Mashinter, Ferriero and Arnott (no longer)

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach

i dont think signing Arnott (or attempting too) is any indication on where the organization is on Miller, theres a difference between signing a veteran for more competition and a spark in the bottom 6, and giving a first rounder a shot with the big boys; also this team is in a position to compete (or at least we should be, in time) and not see what some guys can do thus Arnott>Miller to fill whatever void we needed to fill. I dont disagree miller needs more time in the AHL and id much rather see him play well in the Ahl and hopefully make the team next season.

its great to see Miller getting some recognition hopefully he kicks some ass in camp next year and makes the team.

gary laser eyes

Apr 6, 2007
Upside is great and potential is fun for teams not looking to truly contend but what I meant was that the Rangers must not have been enthused with the call-up options they have for right now so they decided to go out and get some players who they may have thought could contribute if needed. Mashinter, Ferriero and Arnott (no longer)

Yeah I was probably a bit ahead of myself in saying that I hoped for a late-season call up. I have no doubt that Rangers brass will only call him up if he is ready. Only thing is that now that he is an AHL regular his ELC is on the clock. No doubt they want him making an NHL impact sooner rather than later. A strong finish to the AHL season is the next step.

One thing that confuses me is how/why he made the all-star team. His numbers certainly do not warrant it.

Khelvan

Apr 5, 2002
Oakland, CA
i dont think signing Arnott (or attempting too) is any indication on where the organization is on Miller, theres a difference between signing a veteran for more competition and a spark in the bottom 6, and giving a first rounder a shot with the big boys; also this team is in a position to compete (or at least we should be, in time) and not see what some guys can do thus Arnott>Miller to fill whatever void we needed to fill.
I disagree. The fact that the organization is going out and making trades for players as well as trying to sign players like Arnott is definitely an indication on where they are with Miller. In addition, Torts' comments about how there is "no help coming from Hartford" is yet another indication. This says nothing about his long-term potential, but in the short term the Rangers do not intend to call up Miller, and that's pretty clear from all of the subtle and overt signs.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Miller won't get called up this year unless he shows just massive improvement in the next couple of months. He just doesn't look comfortable playing pro hockey yet. People who don't watch the minors don't realize just how out of place rookies look down there.

By the time they make it to the NHL, they are decently polished and what we call "rookie mistakes" in the NHL are nowhere near what the mistakes look like in the AHL. These kids have shifts (on a regular basis) where they look like a deer caught in the headlights

Miller has improved this year, but he's nowhere near NHL-ready. He doesn't look like a man among boys in the AHL, he looks like a boy among men. He even alluded to it himself when he went to the WJC, following which he said, "It was nice to play with guys your own age, to get some confidence back."

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Miller won't get called up this year unless he shows just massive improvement in the next couple of months. He just doesn't look comfortable playing pro hockey yet. People who don't watch the minors don't realize just how out of place rookies look down there.

By the time they make it to the NHL, they are decently polished and what we call "rookie mistakes" in the NHL are nowhere near what the mistakes look like in the AHL. These kids have shifts (on a regular basis) where they look like a deer caught in the headlights

Miller has improved this year, but he's nowhere near NHL-ready. He doesn't look like a man among boys in the AHL, he looks like a boy among men. He even alluded to it himself when he went to the WJC, following which he said, "It was nice to play with guys your own age, to get some confidence back."

Yea I agree with you. It can be easy to forget that being a 19 y/o in the AHL is not the norm and in that sense Miller not being ready for a call up shouldn't be a surprise. But the fact remains that he isn't ready for a call up. I think the Arnott/Mash/Ferriero moves were a testament to that - but also a testament to the org not wanting to rush players and make sure they "go through the process" as Torts puts it.

SupersonicMonkey*

Its been a very good first pro season for Miller.

WJC gold, AHL all-star. And he's only 19.

Loads of potential in this kid.

I wish he had more skill to play with in Hartford right now. Next year Fast, St. Croix, Lindberg should be joining him.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
This reminds me of when Milbury made Scott Lachance their All Star representative in order to raise his trade value. Miller is no more than your average AHLer right now. It's like making Hagelin an NHL All Star, but even more blatant in how it Is nothing more than prospect pimping.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Miller is the only forward on Team East who does not have a point.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

Or maybe to they were brought in to replace Miller in the AHL once he is called up? :naughty: I like the idea... although its probably wrong. :cry:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad