Jr A Hockey Comes to FreddyBeach

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
St Stephen Aces will play in Fredericton in 2019-2020 season. Wondering what the thoughts are on any impact on UNB fan base?
I don't think it will have a big impact, but some fans may opt to watch JR'A'.
There is a shortage of hockey in the city, other than Midget AAA and High School.
UNB only plays 15 home games during the winter and if anything, this will give the public an opportunity to see more hockey.
UNB needs to find a way to get more students at the games. Buy one/ get one Free beer or popcorn for the students??
Interesting to see what the new rink on the SMU campus will do for SMU's fan base?
Spoke to a SMU Hockey parent on the weekend and they are excited about it.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
St Stephen Aces will play in Fredericton in 2019-2020 season. Wondering what the thoughts are on any impact on UNB fan base?
To be honest, I don't think it will have a huge impact. Different kind of game, different kind of fans. Those, now older, fans who used to go to Fredericton Express and Fredericton Canadiens games, but never come to UNB games, will probably show. They like the testosterone on display and all of the rough stuff -- they have always found university hockey too bland (because there is no fighting). Plus, I have heard fans go on about the old Fredericton Jr. Red Wings forever - we'll see if they put their money where their mouth is.

Where it will have the biggest effect I believe is in the competition for sponsorship dollars. There is only so much in a small city that is dominated by government, universities and NB Power.

Reactions: Rob and Drummer

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
It will be interesting to see what kind of relationship, if any, they will have with UNB. I know there are some personnel connections there, but it’s not like UNB really recruits out of the MHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad