Joy and Sorrow in a Shootout

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
The “Detroit Door Mats” have to feel pretty good coming away with 3 of 4 points in their last two games against division rivals St. Louis and Columbus.

With key players out injured such as the teams number one defenseman Kimmo Timonen and emerging star Claude Griroux the team felt in necessary to press Brett Festerling back into service even though he had barely been cleared to play again himself.

The first game against the Blues saw the Wings come back from a 2-0 deficit in the second period that included Mike Santorelli’s first ever HFNHL goal and Brad Boyes scored the equalizer. Both goaltenders were solid through the 3rd period and OT thereby forcing a shootout. Both goalies held their ground through the first 3 shooters before Jeff Carter managed to bury one giving the Blues the extra point and tying the season series up at one game a piece.

The second game was against the Jackets and for the second straight meeting between these clubs a Wing went down early in the 1st period forcing the Wings to play the majority of the game with only 5 dmen. In the first meeting it was Claude Giroux injured in the first and this time it was Ryan Wilson who was injured while blocking a Nikolia Kulemin shot.
Overall the game was a little flat. After scoring one goal a piece in the first period both sides settled in. The Jackets had their chances on five powerplay opportunities but failed to score. The Jackets scorers were equally inept in the shootout as Lundquist did not even have to make a save on 3 of the 6 Jackets shootout opportunities b/c they missed the net. It was eventually Mike Santorelli who emerged with the shootout winner for the Wings. After the last two games the unheralded Santorelli may be gaining some fans in the motor city.
As with the Blues, the season series between the Jackets and Wings now stands at one a piece.

Despite a 'unique' collection of players, a tough season opening season schedule, and numerous injury issues the Wings are please to be a game above .500 to start.

Next up will be the Blackhawks. With 3 players out again and a rumour circulating that the Wings may have traded their best defensive forward Scott Nichol the very short handed Wings will head into Chicago to try and tie that series up as well.

Last edited:

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Now if this was Dougs post it would have been Joy and Pain in the title cause Dougie's got sooooouuuullllllll

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
...Sun shiiiine, and Rain!

Lol, beat me to it.

Anyway, it's winter - I suppose one has to expect to slip on the door mat once in a while (especially when multiple injuries have forced the Sim God to run autolines).

The scary things is that despite all of these injuries (I now finally have everyone back except Daley), and only two wins in 6 games, I'm actually over .500 because three of my losses went to OT or the Shootout. As a proponent of "a loss is a loss", my team should by rights have 4 points, not 7, but I guess I have no choice bu to take it.

As far as sooooouuuuuuuuulllllllllll goes, you boys don't know from it:

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
See. I knew Doug had soul.

That middle video reminds me of the Five Heartbeats movie.

I love hijacking threads ;)

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
See. I knew Doug had soul.

That middle video reminds me of the Five Heartbeats movie.

I was astonished to come across that studio session with the Funk Brothers backing the Temptations in rehearsal - that's damned rare footage. God I love YouTube.

EDIT: And yes, I'm aware that technically Nina is Jazz, not soul, but she certainly HAS soul.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad