Proposal: Joshua Ho-Sang to Pittsburgh

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
When people say he has more value traded than he does waived because he can be sent to the AHL if he's traded, what good is that supposed to do for the trading team when he won't report?

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
When people say he has more value traded than he does waived because he can be sent to the AHL if he's traded, what good is that supposed to do for the trading team when he won't report?

Why wouldn't he report? Not reporting means he doesn't get paid.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
So, he's reported to Bridgeport?

I don't know but if he hasn't it has to be just a tactic to speed up the trade process because Ho-Sang and his agent obviously want to have nothing to do with the Isles organization any longer. With his career earnings and performance, Ho-Sang doesn't have the leverage to just refuse to play in the AHL. Him clearing waivers means nobody wanted to take him on their NHL roster, he has no choice but to play in the AHL or terminate his contract and go play overseas or something.

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
I don't know but if he hasn't it has to be just a tactic to speed up the trade process because Ho-Sang and his agent obviously want to have nothing to do with the Isles organization any longer. With his career earnings and performance, Ho-Sang doesn't have the leverage to just refuse to play in the AHL. Him clearing waivers means nobody wanted to take him on their NHL roster, he has no choice but to play in the AHL or terminate his contract and go play overseas or something.
He hasn't reported to Bridgeport because Lou told him not to. I guess Lou is afraid he might get hurt....thereby lowering his trade value. As if it can get any lower than zero. Actually, I think his value would have too increase just too GET too zero.

Reactions: Ciao

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Conditional 7th if he plays 40+ games? Maybe?

This is a little bit light, even for a player who just passed through waivers. If he plays 40+ NHL games this season, he's worth more than a seventh-round pick.
:popcorn:
Why not 80 games for that whopping 7th rounder?

Wouldn't want the Pens to give up too much for a cheap, top 6 winger
:popcorn:

He might be cheap, but Joshua Ho Sang is not a top-six winger. If he were, he wouldn't have passed through waivers.

For Lou to trade him away I'd imagine he'd demand SOMETHING of value in return.

I'd settle for a 4th round pick TBH. Make it a 3rd rounder for any divisional team.

Can't see anyone giving that for a guy who just passed through waivers.

Lou would be a miracle worker to get a third- or fourth-round pick. That's far, far too much for this type of player.

waivers =/= trading

Absolutely, but the normal trade value is another AHL player on an expiring NHL contract, or a 6th or 7th round pick, or some combination of the above. Not often that you see much higher than that.

His career is pointing towards Europe before too long. The AHL is a development league, and it doesn't seem that he's been doing much developing. He definitely doesn't look like NHL material at the moment, and the likelihood of him developing an NHL career is becoming more remote as time passes.

Mind you, Scott Harrington many other young players have gone up and down in a similar manner and still made it as fringe NHL players.

[EDIT: My mistake -- Harrington never went on waivers. The player he was traded for, Kerby Rychel, did clear waivers and is now in the KHL. I have a hunch this is how it will go for Ho-Sang too.]

Then, once in a blue moon, a Martin St. Louis arrives on the scene, but that hasn't happened for a while and I wouldn't bet on it here.

He hasn't reported to Bridgeport because Lou told him not to. I guess Lou is afraid he might get hurt....thereby lowering his trade value. As if it can get any lower than zero. Actually, I think his value would have too increase just too GET too zero.

It's clear that he's done with the Islanders and the Islanders are done with him. He is only following managerial instructions while he waits for a trade, and I'm sure a trade will be made for something between a bag of pucks and another AHL player on an NHL contract, or at most a 5th or 6th round pick. Anything more than that is wishful thinking.

Last edited:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
You mean the guy that every player passed on when he went through waivers for free?
Yeah, that guy.
I would rather pass up the whopping 7th rounder, then see him rack up points in Pittsburgh.

Last edited:

IODCPiper

Jan 26, 2016
He was told by Isles GM to stay home while they look for a trade.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You misunderstand my point. I have zero interest in giving up JHS to Pittsburgh. Sullivan's interest is not my concern.

Fair enough. Just understand that Ho-Sang would not be racking up points on any Sullivan-coached team because he wouldn't sniff the line-up, so that fear is unfounded.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Mind you, Scott Harrington many other young players have gone up and down in a similar manner and still made it as fringe NHL players.

[EDIT: My mistake -- Harrington never went on waivers. The player he was traded for, Kerby Rychel, did clear waivers and is now in the KHL. I have a hunch this is how it will go for Ho-Sang too.]

Then, once in a blue moon, a Martin St. Louis arrives on the scene, but that hasn't happened for a while and I wouldn't bet on it here.

Rychel got terminated by his KHL team, too fat.

(actually that was what his SHL team said a month ago, I don't know why he got terminated in KHL, but 0 pts in 7 games wasn't good).

Also, do we really have to look all the way back to MSL to think of guys that came up late from the AHL? Did Yanni Gourde go through waivers at some point? Jonathan Marchessault?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Ee
Fair enough. Just understand that Ho-Sang would not be racking up points on any Sullivan-coached team because he wouldn't sniff the line-up, so that fear is unfounded.

It is much more likely that JHS would rack up assists on that highly skilled Pens team, then that 7th rounder would contribute to the isles.
Since neither Isle or Pens fans are interested the swap,it's all good.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I'd offer (And this isn't a joke) a conditional 7th round pick that could go as high as a 2-3rd if he meets a series of criteria (Games played, playoffs, Stanley Cup goals, etc).

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
As a Canuck fan id love the idea of swaping Goldobin for him. Maybe for Ho Sang and a late pick.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Can't see anyone giving that for a guy who just passed through waivers.
Everyone would want them to take a contract back. That’s why so many people pass through these days. Bobby Mack even said the day it happened. The whole “this guy has no value because he passed through waivers” no longer exists. Teams value roster spots and everyone has a contract they’d like to move. Why take a guy for “free” when you can trade something you don’t want and not lose a roster spot at the same time?

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->