Player Discussion Josh Norris C 6’1”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
He's a 1st rounder and has the same bday as me so I like him already. Hopefully he pans out.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Seems very average. Will be surprised if he becomes more than a 3rd liner

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I kind of like guys like this. Will never break the bank or explode offensively but hopefully can help us win and be a net positive influence on the ice. A roster of guys like this with guys like Brady/stone/white/pageau/dzingel could be "competitive on a budget". Not sure if that's the plan here, but it certainly seems to be with the Lazar/tkatchuk/white/bowers draft picks. Cheap speedsters and two way guys.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
Y'know what else is named Norris? The Norris Trophy for best defenseman in the NHL that our captain won twice before we traded him for Josh Norris.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I kind of like guys like this. Will never break the bank or explode offensively but hopefully can help us win and be a net positive influence on the ice. A roster of guys like this with guys like Brady/stone/white/pageau/dzingel could be "competitive on a budget". Not sure if that's the plan here, but it certainly seems to be with the Lazar/tkatchuk/white/bowers draft picks. Cheap speedsters and two way guys.

They are nice fits, sure.

But you dont trade your franchise for nice fits. You trade for cornerstones.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
They are nice fits, sure.

But you dont trade your franchise for nice fits. You trade for cornerstones.
Agreed...but this was an opportunity to try to get a bunch of good pieces in one shot. I dont think they wanted a superstar paycheck coming back. I'm not defending that strategy, just suggesting this might be part of the thinking.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Agreed...but this was an opportunity to try to get a bunch of good pieces in one shot. I dont think they wanted a superstar paycheck coming back. I'm not defending that strategy, just suggesting this might be part of the thinking.
You're right this was the right opportunity to get a bunch of good pieces, which Dorion wasn't able to achieve unsurprisingly.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I hope the kids works out, but it doesn't look (from the little reading I've been doing) that he has any kind of top-6 potential. Plus, taking a university kid right now scares me a bit...if he stays the whole 4 years in the NCAA and walks.....

canadiantirefire

Sep 14, 2018
Ottawa
Probably my 2nd favourite part of the deal apart from the 1st rounder. Looks like a legit C prospect that can take his time in NCAA while we're trash for the next few seasons.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Is it possible his last years numbers are low due to having a bunch of older players taking alot of ice-time?

Univ. of Michigan at eliteprospects.com

Yes, that is exactly the case. Not to say he would have been PPG otherwise, but he definitely wasn't put in a number-generating role.

From Steve Kournianos:
The people who watched Michigan more that two times know that Norris always was matched up against top lines, took all the big draws, and did not see time on the top PP unit, even after Lockwood was hurt.

The NCAA generally favors upperclassmen. People cried about Poehling's freshman stats but didnt realize he was a frosh on a loaded team playing limited minutes. Michigan almost won the Frozen Four and Norris as a freshman was a big part of that, except he did a lot of the dirty work. Norris has a very strong reputation among USA Hockey and NCAA circles. He was the No. 1 center on a dominant NTDP and San Jose's best forward prospect.

Norris is a vey good prospect. At some point he'll be centering Michigan's top line this year.

Acidrain66

Jun 13, 2018
Just the way the owner likes it huh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad