Player Discussion Josh Norris C 6’1”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Norris' progression could make roster decisions very difficult next season, particularly if L.Brown forces his way into the lines and we win the lottery to draft 2nd OA...

2a. Norris
2b. Brown
3. Tierney
4. Byfield
5. Chaplik

I don’t think it is a great idea but I think Byfield plays in the NHL next season. He probably plays some wing too. Hopefully If we get him the Sens let him go to the U20’s.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
2a. Norris
2b. Brown
3. Tierney
4. Byfield
5. Chaplik

I don’t think it is a great idea but I think Byfield plays in the NHL next season. He probably plays some wing too. Hopefully If we get him the Sens let him go to the U20’s.

I think we need to wait till we win the #2 pick in the lottery before penciling Byfield into the lineup...

That said, you're missing Anisimov (who has shifted to the wing from time to time) and he who shall remain nameless (also can shift to the wing or be pushed out I suppose).

Hey, it's a good problem to have. Add to that, I think Formenton might force his way onto our LW, we could have some fun young lines...

Tkachuk-Norris-Ryan seemed to have some chemistry
Formenton/Balcers-L.Brown-Batherson
Duclair-Tierney-C.Brown
Balcers/Formenton/Paul-He who shall remain nameless/Chlapik/Anisimov-xxx

where xxx is somebody shifting to the wing.

Of course, this is all very early, as 2 good games does not etch yourself in stone into the line next year

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I think we need to wait till we win the #2 pick in the lottery before penciling Byfield into the lineup...

That said, you're missing Anisimov (who has shifted to the wing from time to time) and he who shall remain nameless (also can shift to the wing or be pushed out I suppose).

Hey, it's a good problem to have. Add to that, I think Formenton might force his way onto our LW, we could have some fun young lines...

Duclair-Tierney-C.Brown

Of course, this is all very early, as 2 good games does not etch yourself in stone into the line next year

I agree - I was responding to a post asking what things will look like if we win 2020 2OA. I have no doubt that we will use 7-8+ players at C next year.

As a side not we look desperately short for a typical 3C/shutdown C type Center. Ideally “what’s his face” or Chappy would take on the roll but that may be a stretch in the short term.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Duclair-Tierney-C.Brown

It's starting to look like a roster that is taking some shape

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It's starting to look like a roster that is taking some shape

Ryan 32 yrs old
Anisimov 31
C.Brown 26
Tierney 25
Paul 24
Duclair 24
White 23
Balcers 22
Chlapik 22
Batherson 21
L.Brown 21
Abramov 21
Norris 20
Formenton 20
Tkachuk 20

That's a young group of forwards going into next year (yes they will all turn one year older next year). I wonder if we sign some vets or just let C.Brown Anisimov, Ryan and Tierney be the vets

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Ryan 32 yrs old
Anisimov 31
C.Brown 26
Tierney 25
Paul 24
Duclair 24
White 23
Balcers 22
Chlapik 22
Batherson 21
L.Brown 21
Abramov 21
Norris 20
Formenton 20
Tkachuk 20

That's a young group of forwards going into next year (yes they will all turn one year older next year). I wonder if we sign some vets or just let C.Brown Anisimov, Ryan and Tierney be the vets

I count 15 on your list. That doesn't include the potential 2 top ten picks and there's a few other guys you could add to that list.

We are knocking on 20 guys that legitimately could play most of the season in the NHl. And i suspect a vet will be brought in. I think we're going to need to consolidate and move some bodies

Reactions: NB613

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I count 15 on your list. That doesn't include the potential 2 top ten picks and there's a few other guys you could add to that list.

We are knocking on 20 guys that legitimately could play most of the season in the NHl. And i suspect a vet will be brought in. I think we're going to need to consolidate and move some bodies

Agreed. I think guys like Balcers, Abramov, Chlapik, Paul, and Formenton aren't sure things, but we have an abundance of guys on the cusp. It's a good problem to have, and as you mention, our two top 10 picks this season could push a couple guys down the depth charts too.

If we end up with too many NHL ready prospects, maybe we can make a play for an quantity for quality upgrade like when we traded for Ryan (hopefully a little more succesfuly this time)

Somebody else mentioned it, but when Chicago drafted Kane and Toews, they went out and got guys like Campbell and Hossa. When the Pens drafted Malkin, Staal and Crosby, they went and added Gonchar and Sykora to help lead the kids.

If we draft Lafreniere or Byfield, do we go out and add somebody to fast track things? I don't know if their on that level where it changes the game and makes us enough of a contender to want to go that route, but food for thought I guess.

Reactions: NB613 and derriko

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Agreed. I think guys like Balcers, Abramov, Chlapik, Paul, and Formenton aren't sure things, but we have an abundance of guys on the cusp. It's a good problem to have, and as you mention, our two top 10 picks this season could push a couple guys down the depth charts too.

If we end up with too many NHL ready prospects, maybe we can make a play for an quantity for quality upgrade like when we traded for Ryan (hopefully a little more succesfuly this time)

Somebody else mentioned it, but when Chicago drafted Kane and Toews, they went out and got guys like Campbell and Hossa. When the Pens drafted Malkin, Staal and Crosby, they went and added Gonchar and Sykora to help lead the kids.

If we draft Lafreniere or Byfield, do we go out and add somebody to fast track things? I don't know if their on that level where it changes the game and makes us enough of a contender to want to go that route, but food for thought I guess.

I disagree with you on Paul. I think his name is written in ink on DJ's lineup next year.

I think so much depends on the lottery balls. But we definitely could see some quantity bundled up. PD is obviously a big trader and he's sitting on a lot of ammo.

Again depending on the lottery balls, i do not see this taking years to rebuild as some here project. There are so many 1st rounders with a 3rd line floor. If half the current crop of1st rounders are hitting their ceilings within 2 years we are in solid shape.

If we start spending to the cap and we don't over allocate dollars to the top end ( a la Toronto) we will be very strong

Took me 9 tries to get #1. in the 9 i got #2 once. I think i had 5 and 6 OA 5 times. We need the balls to fall better than that

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I disagree with you on Paul. I think his name is written in ink on DJ's lineup next year.

I think so much depends on the lottery balls. But we definitely could see some quantity bundled up. PD is obviously a big trader and he's sitting on a lot of ammo.

Again depending on the lottery balls, i do not see this taking years to rebuild as some here project. There are so many 1st rounders with a 3rd line floor. If half the current crop of1st rounders are hitting their ceilings within 2 years we are in solid shape.

If we start spending to the cap and we don't over allocate dollars to the top end ( a la Toronto) we will be very strong

Took me 9 tries to get #1. in the 9 i got #2 once. I think i had 5 and 6 OA 5 times. We need the balls to fall better than that

The problem with the lottery is every time a team wins a top 1-3 spot it kicks both our pick back. We can only hold our spots if Det and LA hold theirs.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
The problem with the lottery is every time a team wins a top 1-3 spot it kicks both our pick back. We can only hold our spots if Det and LA hold theirs.
Because this year's draft is so deep any players the Senators get in the top 7 will be really good even if the draft 5 and 7 for example. if they get both their picks in the top 5 or number 1 overall that is just a bonus.

Reactions: NB613

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Because this year's draft is so deep any players the Senators get in the top 7 will be really good even if the draft 5 and 7 for example. if they get both their picks in the top 5 or number 1 overall that is just a bonus.

The difference is like trying to rebuild (compete for cup) with players like MacKinnon/Eichel or Zibby/van Riemsdyk ... they are all good players but there is a big difference.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
The difference is like trying to rebuild (compete for cup) with players like MacKinnon/Eichel or Zibby/van Riemsdyk ... they are all good players but there is a big difference.
But my point is that this year there is not much drop off from 2-7. Any of those players paired together are supposed to be far better than a Zibanejad/ van Riemsdyk type pairing . ( Think more a Zibanejad Mitch Marner pairing) And when you add them with Tkachuk and Chabot it gives the Senators a great young core.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
But my point is that this year there is not much drop off from 2-7. Any of those players paired together are supposed to be far better than a Zibanejad/ van Riemsdyk type pairing . ( Think more a Zibanejad Mitch Marner pairing) And when you add them with Tkachuk and Chabot it gives the Senators a great young core.
I think you are overrating some players not all 7 will be stars that rarely if ever happens

Zibby and jvr are top 6 fwds which is on par with what everyone is expected to be outside of the top 1-3 picks

Reactions: Sweatred

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I think you are overrating some players not all 7 will be stars that rarely if ever happens

Zibby and jvr are top 6 fwds which is on par with what everyone is expected to be outside of the top 1-3 picks
I'm not over rating anyone. I am just voicing what virtually all hockey experts are; that this year's draft is better than most with alot of great talent. (This draft is predicted to be as good as the 2015 draft and far better than the years since)
Of course not all the top 7 will be stars but compared to the last few years they have a better chance of becoming ones.

Last edited:

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I'm not over rating anyone. I am just voicing what virtually all hockey experts are; that this year's draft is better than most with alot of great talent. (This draft is predicted to be as good as the 2015 draft and far better than the years since)
Of course not all the top 7 will be stars but compared to the last few years they have a better chance of becoming ones.
You said two of those players should be far better than a zibby jvr pairing and I totally disagree. I think most experts believe that there is a lot of talents top 6 forwards in the top 7. Jvr has been a legit top 6 fwd and so has zibby recently to get far better than them you would legit need stars maybe super stars

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
The Sens desperately need an elite forward. To me if we aren't in the top 3 (maybe it has to be number 1) then it's going to be hard

Reactions: Cosmix and Sweatred

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
You said two of those players should be far better than a zibby jvr pairing and I totally disagree. I think most experts believe that there is a lot of talents top 6 forwards in the top 7. Jvr has been a legit top 6 fwd and so has zibby recently to get far better than them you would legit need stars maybe super stars

OK let's look at JVR and Zibby
JVR- 2nd overall pick in 2007, 11 seasons. Career highs(season) 62 pts. and goals 36. Next high 30
Zibby- 6th overall 2011 , 9th NHL season. Career high 74 pts. and 30 goals ( twice) This year he is going to set career best in goals and points.

To sum up JVR's numbers are certainly not star material but more of what a good 2nd line player would put up. Zibby has finally emerged into a number 1 centre but it took some time.

And yes I believe that the two players that the Sens draft will be far better than a Zibby/JVR pairing. I used the example of Zibby and Marner as more comparable.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
The Sens desperately need an elite forward. To me if we aren't in the top 3 (maybe it has to be number 1) then it's going to be hard
So define elite. For me the only elite forwards in the last 10 years are McDavid and Matthews and possibly Draisaitl. If you are saying the Sens need that guy then I disagree.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
So define elite. For me the only elite forwards in the last 10 years are McDavid and Matthews and possibly Draisaitl. If you are saying the Sens need that guy then I disagree.

I am hoping for a McKinnon/Eichel/Kane type impact .... or better.

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Well im certainly no prospect evaluation expert however it would appear that this draft is going to produce as much talent or more than any in the last 20 years.

That to me says 7 of the top 10 are going to have high end careers and we're likely to see more than the usual number of higher end careers from 11 thru 60

What we need is to hit on our top two picks and to hit on 2 of the other 5 that we have in the first two rounds.

Do that and were gold imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad