Player Discussion Josh Norris C 6’1”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Legit first liners are the elite ones who are consistently putting up 70-80 points. after that there are a bunch of players who sometimes have 1st line caliber numbers other times fall short to have 2nd line numbers. these players usually hover around high 40s, 50s, and 60 point seasons and imo are more 2nd/1st line tweeners than legit first line players.

I think Norris is gonna fall into the 2nd/3rd line caliber.

I don’t think you can take the absolute top players in the league, like the top 20 forwards like you’re doing, and say that only they are legit top line players, when there are 93 legit top line positions. By that logic there has never been, and never will be enough legit top line players in the world to meet that standard.

It just doesn’t really work that way. They are the very best top line players perhaps, but there are closer to 100 players in the league that fit a realistic definition of top line player.

I get what you mean in spirit I guess, but your point criteria is more a way to define which players are the superstars of the league, not which players should be considered top line players. Consider that most teams, including the cup champs, only have one player that meets that criteria, yet no one would argue that only have one top line player.

As far as our boy Norris is concerned, we’ll see how he ends up, but he’s doing about as good a job as possible in the league he’s playing in to show that he can excel at the sport at the pro level. He’s the best (arguably one of) rookie in the league.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
With 186 top 6 players, it might be easier to think of the top quartile as legit 1st line players, the middle quartile as legit top 6 players and the last quartile as more middle 6 players with top 6 upside but guys that bounce back and forth between 2nd and 3rd lines

Reactions: h2owned and NB613

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Norris's rookie pro year has been spectacular. Coming off shoulder surgery, in a non contact jersey in the summer, starting out pointless in his first 4 games. I think he'll lock up rookie of the year.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Norris's rookie pro year has been spectacular. Coming off shoulder surgery, in a non contact jersey in the summer, starting out pointless in his first 4 games. I think he'll lock up rookie of the year.

He had a great first weekend ... I am curious to see how he plays without Batherson or who ever else moves up.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I was going by age at the start of the season (hockey db version) pageau turned 21 early. 2013 14 season while norris will have to go deep in the playoffs to turn 21.

To be clear, Pageau did what Norris is doing while being 6 months older than Norris.

If you look at the studies they did converting AHL,OHL,SEL points into what you can expect for NHL points the guys that can go PPG at the age of 20 in the AHL have a far bigger impact than guys that go PPG at 21. As funny as it sounds it changed the average production in the NHL from .44 to .75. That is the average and it changes from player to player but it turns out to be fairly significant. Let’s hope it rings true.

IamJust0ne

May 4, 2006
With 2 goals and 3 points tonight, Norris now has 30 goals and is one point back of the AHL scoring leader. Hell of a rookie season that just keeps getting better

Reactions: Variable26

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
If Dorion isn't trolling Brady Tkachuk's instragram to find out who else he is best friends with, he's clearly not doing his job as a scout because it seems to be the secret to winning trades.

Apparently Quinn Hughes is great friends with Brady.

Cmon Dorion, make it happen.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
What a season for Norris. I will say though, a lot of these goals I'm seeing lately would not be going in on NHL goaltenders.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I love going back and reading the comments about Norris just after the trade. Seems like the one constant is that the guys crapping on the team then are still doing it now. The players may change but the negativity remains!

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
What a season for Norris. I will say though, a lot of these goals I'm seeing lately would not be going in on NHL goaltenders.

Yes, he won't be a PPG guy in the NHL. But if he can be a 50+ point guy in the league, that's good for us. Solid 2C numbers if he works out. It sucks that Logan seems to be fading, but if Norris can take his place, we'll be ok.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

In the last 7 seasons only 2 players 20 and under have cracked the top 10 in AHL scoring. One was Miko Rantanen at 19 and objectively Norris is having as good or better season than Rantanen did.
FYI- Ottawa has a chance to make it 2 more this year with Formeton in 8th spot right now.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I love going back and reading the comments about Norris just after the trade. Seems like the one constant is that the guys crapping on the team then are still doing it now. The players may change but the negativity remains!

Negativity is a way of life, not circumstantial. Most positive folks have drifted away to find other sources of enjoyment.

The kid really is a revelation.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Yes, he won't be a PPG guy in the NHL. But if he can be a 50+ point guy in the league, that's good for us. Solid 2C numbers if he works out. It sucks that Logan seems to be fading, but if Norris can take his place, we'll be ok.

If Norris can become a 50 point 2nd line center for us, that would be outstanding. Hope he gets a few games up with the big club soon

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Negativity is a way of life, not circumstantial. Most positive folks have drifted away to find other sources of enjoyment.

The kid really is a revelation.
As I said in another post what he and Formenton are doing this year is pretty rare. I think Norris can be a solid 2nd line guy on a good team. And he plays a 200 foot game.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
As I said in another post what he and Formenton are doing this year is pretty rare. I think Norris can be a solid 2nd line guy on a good team. And he plays a 200 foot game.

Funnily enough we really have no idea how good he can be in the NHL. It’s not just top picks that end up NHL first liners or stars.

Like you said, these two kids are doing something that is basically unheard of, and that’s after Batherson setting an amazing standard.

Crazy times for the kids, and I’m glad the organization is loading up the B Sens for a run.

Reactions: The Brady Bunch

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Why is everyone afraid to talk about Norris as a first line centre in the NHL? The kid is a blue chip prospect who looked really good at Michigan and at the World Juniors before he got hurt, and is now absolutely killing it as a 20 year old first year pro in the AHL. Why can't he be our first line centre of the future? It's so funny how we as fans always want to slot a prospect low - "Hopefully he can be a bottom pairing guy for us", "Solid third liner", etc. etc. To heck with that - at this stage, Norris looks like he could be a first line, first unit PP NHL centre, and he should get every opportunity to prove that he can do just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad