Josh Nicholls

gunnyschenn*

Hockey's Future has this to say about him:
A long-term project with intriguing upside, Nicholls will spend the next two seasons in the WHL growing into his frame and continuing to develop his two-way game. Nicholls will have the opportunity to take a prominent offensive role with Saskatoon next year as their two leading scorers no longer have junior eligibility.

He's the Leafs' most mysterious 2010 draft pick. Selected in the 7th round, 182nd overall. If there are any WHL fans around, I'd love to hear about Nicholls' skill-set and his potential/upside, as well as his progress for this year.

SidGenoMario

Apr 10, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
He's going to have it a lot tougher next season, he's in a pretty good position right now playing with Viedensky, a 20 year old who's just ripping it up.

Vladimir Tarasenko*

I don't understand how a guy putting up 85 points in 68 games was selected in the 7th round.

I understand he only put up 48 points in 71 games last season, but wtf how do you go from that to basically doubling your point totals in such a short time

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
I don't understand how a guy putting up 85 points in 68 games was selected in the 7th round.

I understand he only put up 48 points in 71 games last season, but wtf how do you go from that to basically doubling your point totals in such a short time

play with two of the best players in the whl?

He's slowing down now that hes not playing with hamilton

KlattNazty

Feb 3, 2011
Still has as many points as vidensky and more than hamilton. great for a 7th rounder

mooseOAK*

Looks like Schenn being brought is reduced Nicholls' ice time and quality of linemates.

sda

Feb 18, 2008
play with two of the best players in the whl?

He's slowing down now that hes not playing with hamilton

actually it is Hamilton that is slowing down despite playing with Schenn. Nicholls put up points when Viedenski was hurt and he has put up points when Hamilton was gone as well

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Nicholls hasn't really slown down that much since the team added Schenn. His role has changed quite a bit, but he is still being counted on to provide offense, a PP role and a PK role on this team.

I will admit that he is still benefitting a ton from playing with Marek Viedensky, but Nicholls has had a ton of nights this year where he carries the Blades by himself. Don't hold it against him that he happens to play on a great team.

He's a great offensive player and a great defensive player as well. I think once he bulks up a lot more he could one day make a pretty solid 3rd line RWer.

teddygmr

Jul 7, 2006

Nicholls attended the Maple Leafs' summer Development camp and then their pre-season camp. Leafs have invested a lot of money and resources into improving their Development program to help each player (whether he be a draft choice or UFA signing) reach his full potential; in fact this is part of the reason that the Leafs have been so successfull competing for and sigining UFA's from NCAA and Europe.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Nicholls hasn't really slown down that much since the team added Schenn. His role has changed quite a bit, but he is still being counted on to provide offense, a PP role and a PK role on this team.

I will admit that he is still benefitting a ton from playing with Marek Viedensky, but Nicholls has had a ton of nights this year where he carries the Blades by himself. Don't hold it against him that he happens to play on a great team.

He's a great offensive player and a great defensive player as well. I think once he bulks up a lot more he could one day make a pretty solid 3rd line RWer.

Any chance he has upside to become a top 6 forward? I see him more as an energy 3rd liner who will chip in occasionally but does he have the upside to truly be a legit top 6 forward?

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa

Thanks for this analysis. If he turns into a solid 3rd line RW, then that's pretty good for a 7th round pick.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Any chance he has upside to become a top 6 forward? I see him more as an energy 3rd liner who will chip in occasionally but does he have the upside to truly be a legit top 6 forward?

I don't see it. Like I said, he's a solid offensive player, but I don't think he will ever be a top 6 NHLer. But, the kid is only 18 and already progressing much better than people expected him to.

He will be back in Saskatoon again next year as a 19 year old and will likely be the teams top offensive weapon (Schenn gone, Viedensky gone, Elliott eligible for AHL (likely gone), Hamilton eligible for AHL (likely gone)).

That will be a big year and a big chance for fans and prospect watchers to see what kind of player Josh might turn in to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad