Josh McFadden

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Should he be drafted this year? 72 pts this season and a hattrick to win the series vs Ottawa.

I think he has a shot to get selected.

He'll have to refine his game big time before he even sniffs the NHL (cut down on the turnovers, improve his defensive awareness and ability to separate his man from the puck), but he's definitely very talented offensively. A lot of the time, he's like an extra forward out there. Big shot from the point, can really skate the puck up ice and has good vision when running the PP. But again, there are serious holes in his game and he may play a too risky one to have success at the next level.

All that being said, would it be a terrible idea to use a 7th on him? I don't think so, because he has some natural abilities you can work with (heck, you could probably even convert him to a forward).

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
I really think there are much better players to take a risk on. McFadden is defensive liability at any time he is on the ice(As evident by all the short handed chances he gave Toffoli in round 1). He's prone to giveaways at inopportune times. He's good at carrying the puck, however he often gets caught down low.

He's just a prototypical OHL offensive defencemen. I honestly don't think his game could even translate to the ECHL/AHL.

Lier X Agerate

Avs and Wolves
Oct 7, 2008
Actually his game could be well fitted to play the wing... I'm surprised that Sudbury hasn't tried that at all.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Actually his game could be well fitted to play the wing... I'm surprised that Sudbury hasn't tried that at all.

When Sudbury ran into a injury problem up front he played a few shifts there. Never really showed much even when compared to the other dmen who played up.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009

Hes there best offensive defenceman.

Not sure why you would eliminate that puck moving presence from the back end in order to have a decent but forward, something that Sudbury already has lot of.

The players that would come in to replace him defence(Cody Mintz etc.) dont have those puck skills.

shortcat1

Jan 25, 2005
Downtown Palau, ON
I really think there are much better players to take a risk on. McFadden is defensive liability at any time he is on the ice(As evident by all the short handed chances he gave Toffoli in round 1). He's prone to giveaways at inopportune times. He's good at carrying the puck, however he often gets caught down low.

He's just a prototypical OHL offensive defencemen. I honestly don't think his game could even translate to the ECHL/AHL.

Does this sound like a Canadiens defenseman in his draft year? Not saying that Josh = PK but the concerns are very similar.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Does this sound like a Canadiens defenseman in his draft year? Not saying that Josh = PK but the concerns are very similar.

Except that PKs skills are miles better than McFaddens, and it's not even close.

Lier X Agerate

Avs and Wolves
Oct 7, 2008
McFadden is a massive liability in his own end, he looks like Matt Hunwick out there. Never picks up his man in the slot. I was only wondering if a team might take a flier on him due to his puck moving abilities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad