Josh Leivo

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Leivo will disappoint with his effort level over the long haul. Drop him in a bucket with these guys:
Mason Raymond
Joe Colborne
Peter Holland
Matt Frattin
Lee Stempniak
Victor Stalberg
Jiri Tlusty
Decent players that show flashes but can't sustain the necessary effort to be a solid long term contributor to a good team.

I'm a big Leivo fan, and I'm totally alright with him disappointing over the long haul if he gets a chance to do that. I would much prefer that than him going to another franchise without having had the opportunity here and turn into a significant player

I agree that he could be Matt Frattin, but he could also be what we hope Matt Frattin would be

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Leivo will disappoint with his effort level over the long haul. Drop him in a bucket with these guys:
Mason Raymond
Joe Colborne
Peter Holland
Matt Frattin
Lee Stempniak
Victor Stalberg
Jiri Tlusty
Decent players that show flashes but can't sustain the necessary effort to be a solid long term contributor to a good team.

He's done nothing but contradict your final sentiment over the past 2 seasons. He's put up Sosh season point totals in less than 10 games. To Sosh's 50. That's just plain nonsense any way you cut it. Sosh is all sizzle with no steak.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I'd really like to see Leivo slot in somewhere above the fourth line, but I think a lot of people in here draw too big conclusions from small sample sizes. Now like I said, I'd like to see him to see if that's something he can keep up, but let's remember that the coaching staff does get to see him more, so they have the sample size to determine if he's that good or if it's an outlier far from the baseline.

It reminds me in some ways of the Percy frenzy from a year or two ago. Like him, Leivo tapered off quite a bit in his last few games.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'd really like to see Leivo slot in somewhere above the fourth line, but I think a lot of people in here draw too big conclusions from small sample sizes. Now like I said, I'd like to see him to see if that's something he can keep up, but let's remember that the coaching staff does get to see him more, so they have the sample size to determine if he's that good or if it's an outlier far from the baseline.

It reminds me in some ways of the Percy frenzy from a year or two ago. Like him, Leivo tapered off quite a bit in his last few games.

Last game in San Jose I think Leivo had some really good possession numbers, won board battles and fed Matthews a nice pass for a goal and has sat since.

Just seems the bar is significantly higher for him then other players on this team.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
I'll assume Babs is choosing Sosh over Leivo because they signed him as a free agent vs drafting him along with certain promises being made prior to his signing. Possibly hurting their chances at luring future prospect UFAs from russia if they bench or demote him for any length of time.

Otherwise no sane person can argue Sosh is the better choice on any line over Leivo.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Last game in San Jose I think Leivo had some really good possession numbers, won board battles and fed Matthews a nice pass for a goal and has sat since.

Just seems the bar is significantly higher for him then other players on this team.

The bar is always set differently for different players. Not everyone is motivated the same way.

The game plan for Anaheim and LA was clearly to use their speed. Leivo was a game plan casualty.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Ha, Leivo has more than twice as many NHL games played than the next closest player in the leafs 2011 draft class. We had two 1st rounders and nine total picks that year

Edit: he has more NHL games played than the rest of the draft class combined

Last edited:

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
With the addition of Marleau I am not sure who you can fit Leivo unless some of the roster players are moved out (likely JVR and / or Bozak) - even if and when JVR is moved Kapanen is next in line

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
He doesn't have to become an 80 game player this season, just make himself worthy of staying with the team. In 2018-19 there are going to be several forward spots available (up to 5 spots) for inexpensive forwards.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
He doesn't have to become an 80 game player this season, just make himself worthy of staying with the team. In 2018-19 there are going to be several forward spots available (up to 5 spots) for inexpensive forwards.

He does however have to make himself a career 80 game player this season(meaning getting his career games up to 80 games) or he becomes a group 6 UFA. Which means for us it's play him 39 games this year or have to bid against the entire league to keep him. Hopefully this helps him get into the lineup and prove himself.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
For anyone worried about being more injured this year, having guys like Leivo and Kapanen and Sosh in reserve is pretty awesome. Heck, certain injuries may result in the team being upgraded by these guys being thrust into certain roles.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
For anyone worried about being more injured this year, having guys like Leivo and Kapanen and Sosh in reserve is pretty awesome. Heck, certain injuries may result in the team being upgraded by these guys being thrust into certain roles.

"Addition by subtraction"?

:laugh:

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

I like Sosh and thought he should have gotten a better chance last year, but I'm warming up to just sending him back to the Marlies to start the year at least. Guy can skate and grind and score but could probably use a refresher with some icetime at this point.

It's just easy too, not being eligible for waivers. It's one more body we aren't forced to move or lose.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Or Babcock simply measures merit differently than you -- that is, putting a different emphasis on various parts of a player's game.

That and Babcock has certain job descriptions when putting lines together.
The NHL is skill, speed, physical (there is still body contact), offense and defense.
You don't build a house with only plumbers or only roofers.
You need a mix of various skills.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I think injuries will create the opportunities and that the club is not so deep a player can't carve out some ice time for himself with strong play. Babcock has shown that if a player buys into his system they will get played. No Michalek, Froese, Griffith, Holland or Smith (and Goat thanks to the injury) in the mix. With Marleau and Moore's pk skills Shosh is the one who is likely to move to make some space unless he finds his scoring touch.

I don't think Leivo will fail from any lack of opportunity. Once JVR moves it will be interesting to see where JL and Koma end up in the lineup. I'm looking forward to the more talented competition for spots this year.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

He did that last season; and still didn't find himself in the regular line up.

Babs' only explanation was that Leivo hasn't played bad; he doesn't PK while sosh and kappy did so they played over him.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I like Sosh and thought he should have gotten a better chance last year, but I'm warming up to just sending him back to the Marlies to start the year at least. Guy can skate and grind and score but could probably use a refresher with some icetime at this point.

It's just easy too, not being eligible for waivers. It's one more body we aren't forced to move or lose.

marlies or press box, whatever.

but if martin happened to get injured, and sosh slid into his spot on the 4th line....we're probably better off for it.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
He did that last season; and still didn't find himself in the regular line up.

Babs' only explanation was that Leivo hasn't played bad; he doesn't PK while sosh and kappy did so they played over him.

just so happened that none of our skill forwards got injured much last year. That's whose spot he'd fill.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
just so happened that none of our skill forwards got injured much last year. That's whose spot he'd fill.

there was room enough (IMO) to play Leivo in place of Hyman. I would argue that it still exists.

Last season: we could have easily iced:

Nylander-Matthews-Brown
JVR-Bozak-Marner
Komarov-Kadri-Leivo
Martin-GOAT/Boyle-Kappy

and instantly be a better team (IMO)

I still do not see why Hyman deserves a spot over Leivo in an offensive role

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
this is the only season we can take advantage of our elite nhl forward depth, our kids are getting paid soon, we're gonna be losing at least 2 and maybe 3 of jvr bozak and komarov...theres gonna be spots up for grab soon enough...and our games lost to injury were shockingly low last season, who knows if the injury bug bites us this season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad