Player Discussion: Josh Ho-Sang

Status
Not open for further replies.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I honestly think he can be as good as Marner, just give him a linemate that can get open. He will find you.

He’s in that category of offensive talent but I’d say Marner is a bit better scorer. Plus to be fair, Marner has a 20+ goal and 70pt season in the NHL under his belt.

Reactions: Lights911

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
It's been pretty clear from the start that priority #1 with Lou and Trotz is culture change. They want to establish team-over-individual, accountability, defensive responsibility, grit, etc., etc..

So that's going to play into their roster decisions. They're not going to jettison an established pro so that a kid can figure it out in the NHL. That would work counter to the main thing they're trying to accomplish this year.
Getting default points simply for being older – isn't it kind of contrary to the culture of accountability they want to establish? I've heard that JHS, Bellows, and Toews were better than certain vets during the camp.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
So they sent him to the AHL because they were "devoid of talent."

Maybe send Barzal down too to help that 1st line

I can’t tell if what I said went totally over your head or you just enjoy putting a spin job on everything .....

I simply stated the situations are different and he is in a good situation now; a better one then he was last year.

Never implied that JHS was sent down to be some kind of savior, Snow and Weight sent him to a club devoid of talent, which was not good for his development as a playmaker

Now he will have the opportunity to play on a team that may stand a chance of making the AHL playoffs ,something they’ve done very little of for a decade and a half

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
I really hope he kills it in Bridgeport and gets called up. I love watching him play, in my opinion he as an it factor and can create so much offense when he is trusting himself and playing his game. I hope he’s up on the team sometime this year

I'd love for that to happen as well, but I'm worried that he's going to pout and morph into MDC....."none of these coaches like me, I'll never make it with their favoritism of other players wahhhhhh....kieffer is prob going to get called up b4 me bc his dad is an x NHLer and friends with Lou wahhh"......

He SHOULD be killing the AHL, and if he isn't, that's a problem.

Reactions: Lights911

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
I think he's in a European league next season. HE CAN have a much better quality of life than the AHL has to offer.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Getting default points simply for being older – isn't it kind of contrary to the culture of accountability they want to establish? I've heard that JHS, Bellows, and Toews were better than certain vets during the camp.
Lou said they were not good enough to take a spot from a vet. I don't think it's favoring older players. I think it's saying that a kid who has never proven himself in the NHL either has to really show a lot in a small sample size, or they're going to require a larger sample size.

Reactions: Seph and dood

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Welp, he was my dark horse forward to make the team (Toews being the D man).

To echo others, he tried very hard to play the system, not make mistakes on and off the ice, and appear to be a diligent professional at the expense of his offense.

Haven’t given up on the kid; he’s going to have to learn how to balance his offensive swagger within a highly structured system. I’m sure the he’s lacking confidence, but he also has to make better decisions in the neutral and offensive zones.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
I think we will see JHS on the big club this season if he does a good job in BP and the Isles make moves before the trade deadline with Nelson, Eberle and/or Lee.

Ho Sang and Bellows for that matter were not going to get the ice time they need playing bottom 6 minutes. The Isles will not be rolling 4 lines. Emphasis should be on the top 6.

LL is going with experience out of the gate. The Islanders had one of the worst 3rd lines in hockey last season. This season that area will take a step up as well as MC2. The question is, will the top 6 be good enough offensively. If the answer is no halfway through the season, you will see changes coming.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
W

To echo others, he tried very hard to play the system, not make mistakes on and off the ice, and appear to be a diligent professional at the expense of his offense.

Haven’t given up on the kid; he’s going to have to learn how to balance his offensive swagger within a highly structured system. I’m sure the he’s lacking confidence, but he also has to make better decisions in the neutral and offensive zones.

Kind of damn if you do,damn if you don't....if JHS plays with his usual swagger, he is taking chances and accused of refusing to play a responsible, accountable style.
Instead,he focused on trying to limit turnovers and mistakes, was not as dynamic.
Disappointing to see him demoted.

PuckItUp27

Sep 26, 2017
So tired of the obsession with Ho-Sang. He hasn't done shit in the NHL and he sucked balls in the AHL. He has an attitude problem and an ego. Nobody knows what his "personal day" was about. He is a cancer to a locker room. Should have traded him when he had a little bit of value.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I'm thinking I'll reserve thought for about 2 months. I think him playing the top line role in Bridgeport with Bellows is better for him than playing with the likes of Filpulla and Komorov. Especially if they are trying to get him to play a in a structured system.

Reactions: Macch and dano16

HyeDray

Jul 13, 2006
New Hyde Park, NY
yes, and when he is putting up 50-60 points on another team and we are watching Bailey go back to 40 points a year, Brock Nelson with his 30sh and just a dead offensive team outside of Barzal we are going to wonder why he was given away for nothing

1) Don't know if he can make it in the NHL at all. I would take Josh Bailey's 40 points per year and steady defensive play over a player who hasn't proven anything.

2) If he were traded as a part of a PACKAGE — Im stressing package because, I want to be clear that as a single player in a trade, his value is not very high — we do not know what the return in that hypothetical trade would be. It could be a much needed top four defender. It could be a solid 2-way center to slot in behind Barzal. It could be a young goalie who can stabilize the position for years to come.

For every poor Milbury trade where we got bad value, there are trades the other way where we did very well. Right now, everything I am seeing of JHS is that he has $5,000,000 talent and skill, but his 5¢ head is getting in the way. There is a reason why so many teams didn't draft him. There is a reason he has struggled to make an Islanders team. Ill say this again — 4 Cup Championship between the head coach and GM running the New York Islanders. I have faith that they know what they are doing.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
So tired of the obsession with Ho-Sang. He hasn't done **** in the NHL and he sucked balls in the AHL. He has an attitude problem and an ego. Nobody knows what his "personal day" was about. He is a cancer to a locker room. Should have traded him when he had a little bit of value.

I do......here is a hint...."no notice"

Reactions: PuckItUp27

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
So tired of the obsession with Ho-Sang. He hasn't done **** in the NHL and he sucked balls in the AHL. He has an attitude problem and an ego. Nobody knows what his "personal day" was about. He is a cancer to a locker room. Should have traded him when he had a little bit of value.

Damn. Someone broke into your house,tied you up and forced you into this JHS discussion :sarcasm:

PuckItUp27

Sep 26, 2017
Damn. Someone broke into your house,tied you up and forced you into this JHS discussion :sarcasm:
No but considering a lot of Isles fans keep saying he should be a starter in every thread that has to do with our roster when infact he hasn't done anything or shown any reason to make an NHL team let alone produce or do anything on an AHL level.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I'd love for that to happen as well, but I'm worried that he's going to pout and morph into MDC....."none of these coaches like me, I'll never make it with their favoritism of other players wahhhhhh....kieffer is prob going to get called up b4 me bc his dad is an x NHLer and friends with Lou wahhh"......

He SHOULD be killing the AHL, and if he isn't, that's a problem.

Has MDC been whining about his current status? I haven't heard boo from him but maybe I missed it.

People like to ascribe all sorts of things to him because of his disappointing progression. Maybe he's trying really hard, keeping his mouth shut and doing all the right things and its just not working out? There's no need to cast aspersions about his character just because he's not panning out as a hockey player. At the end of the day, its really hard to play in the NHL. Sometimes success as a teenager doesn't translate to success as a grown man in this game. Unfortunately for us Islander fans, we're pretty good at finding those guys.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
No but considering a lot of Isles fans keep saying he should be a starter in every thread that has to do with our roster when infact he hasn't done anything or shown any reason to make an NHL team let alone produce or do anything on an AHL level.

JHS has shown quite a bit of speed and skill in his nhl games. His lack of a 200 ft game is what is holding him back.

There are a ton of threads on this board. Idk, going into the JHS thread to complain fans are discussing JHS,seems a ridiculous complaint .

PuckItUp27

Sep 26, 2017
JHS has shown quite a bit of speed and skill in his nhl games. His lack of a 200 ft game is what is holding him back.

There are a ton of threads on this board. Idk, going into the JHS thread to complain fans are discussing JHS,seems a ridiculous complaint .

Last I checked the word "Discussion" can be about both positive and negative things. Maybe rename the thread to Compliments Only: Josh Ho-Sang if we aren't allowed to discuss how bad he actually is.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Last I checked the word "Discussion" can be about both positive and negative things. Maybe rename the thread to Compliments Only: Josh Ho-Sang if we aren't allowed to discuss how bad he actually is.
How about the "positive" Ho-Sang thread and the "negative" Ho-Sang thread?

Reactions: eoin92
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad