Player Discussion: Josh Ho-Sang

Status
Not open for further replies.

HyeDray

Jul 13, 2006
New Hyde Park, NY
Everyone goes ga-ga over this kid. And he has skill to burn. But you know what — he belongs in BPort. He proved that again this camp. What did he do to earn a spot?

Too many fans take talent to mean he is the next Bossy or Turgeon. Talent is all well and good, but in the NHL you cannot be taking extra long shifts, or be a defensive liability or be knocked off the puck by a fart!

Right now, JHS best place for this franchise is probably as part of a trade package. He is more Oleg Kvasha then Turgeon! Best to trade him while the idea of his talent is worth something.

Reactions: redbull

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
no he isn't, he has averaged over 1/2 a point a game in his brief time in the league, considering how much the team sucked when he went down last year and how much the team looks like it is going to suck going into the season, he is deserving of a spot on the team
Yeah, the team really missed his offensive prowess. That's why the team sucked when was sent down. LOL

He was a huge defensive liability on a defensively challenged team. That's why he was sent down.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Yeah, the team really missed his offensive prowess. That's why the team sucked when was sent down. LOL

He was a huge defensive liability on a defensively challenged team. That's why he was sent down.
and the defense was so awesome once they got rid of him, whatever negative Ho-Sang has his positives definitely outweigh them and on a team that is definitely looking like they are going nowhere this year it is only beneficial to have a guy like him on the roster

I can not imagine how unwatchably boring this team is going to be when Barzal is not on the ice

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Are you kidding! I would send down Fritz, Gionta, Johnson and Kühnhackl before I send Ho-Sang. I can't figure out why are the Isles are screwing around with JHS development?

With the right coaching, JHS could be Barzal-lite.
17 coaches and 12 GM's from various levels are all conspiring together to "screw around" with Ho-Sang. The only reason I can think of is because it's kinda fun.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Are you kidding! I would send down Fritz, Gionta, Johnson and Kühnhackl before I send Ho-Sang. I can't figure out why are the Isles are screwing around with JHS development?

Frtitz? I did not even look at the roster, please tell me you are kidding that Tanner Fritz is not only not still on this team but is still on the roster over Ho-Sang

and yes it is a complete joke Ho-Sang is being buried in favor of those other guys, along with guys like Komarov, Martin (Yes Martin) etc.

Last edited:

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Wrong. And seems like every coach he's ever had has come to the same conclusion.
I don't give a flying f*** what every other coach has said about him, you must be a guy who just goes along with what everyone else does, I saw a guy who is able to play at the NHL and he has skills to prove it, 22 points in 43 games as a 21 year old, he is deserving of a roster spot on this team that is looking like they are headed for a lottery pick, and no I am not rooting for them to get a lottery pick, I root for them to win and not to lose

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I don't give a flying **** what every other coach has said about him, you must be a guy who just goes along with what everyone else does, I saw a guy who is able to play at the NHL and he has skills to prove it, 22 points in 43 games as a 21 year old, he is deserving of a roster spot on this team that is looking like they are headed for a lottery pick, and no I am not rooting for them to get a lottery pick, I root for them to win and not to lose
Funny because I saw a guy who couldn't play defense and so did all of his coaches.

But hey, maybe you're right and everyone else is wrong.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
It's been pretty clear from the start that priority #1 with Lou and Trotz is culture change. They want to establish team-over-individual, accountability, defensive responsibility, grit, etc., etc..

So that's going to play into their roster decisions. They're not going to jettison an established pro so that a kid can figure it out in the NHL. That would work counter to the main thing they're trying to accomplish this year.

Reactions: dood and Seph

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Everyone goes ga-ga over this kid. And he has skill to burn. But you know what — he belongs in BPort. He proved that again this camp. What did he do to earn a spot?

Too many fans take talent to mean he is the next Bossy or Turgeon. Talent is all well and good, but in the NHL you cannot be taking extra long shifts, or be a defensive liability or be knocked off the puck by a fart!

Right now, JHS best place for this franchise is probably as part of a trade package. He is more Oleg Kvasha then Turgeon! Best to trade him while the idea of his talent is worth something.
yes, and when he is putting up 50-60 points on another team and we are watching Bailey go back to 40 points a year, Brock Nelson with his 30sh and just a dead offensive team outside of Barzal we are going to wonder why he was given away for nothing

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
yes, and when he is putting up 50-60 points on another team and we are watching Bailey go back to 40 points a year, Brock Nelson with his 30sh and just a dead offensive team outside of Barzal we are going to wonder why he was given away for nothing
Hyperbole about a kid who couldn't crack the lineup doesn't come across as rational but more reactional

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

Considering Lamoriello said he was "excellent" I would argue he has done a decent amount to earn a spot and will be the first or second call up.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site

In reference to Ho-Sang, Lou was quoted in the Athletic as saying the following:

“I thought he was excellent,” Lamoriello said. “I thought he worked hard, gave us everything he had, worked hard on his game away from the puck. He just needs to go to the minors, he’s got ability, go there and get over all these issues that I haven’t seen, that transpired in the past. He’s been excellent in camp. Just go grow there and get better. He’s young.”

In short, they're trying to not screw around with his development by rushing him.

source: Islanders' cutdown day: Ho-Sang, Bellows among those sent...

Reactions: dood

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
and the defense was so awesome once they got rid of him, whatever negative Ho-Sang has his positives definitely outweigh them and on a team that is definitely looking like they are going nowhere this year it is only beneficial to have a guy like him on the roster

I can not imagine how unwatchably boring this team is going to be when Barzal is not on the ice

Barzal doesn't stick handle himself into a corner and lose the puck on a regular basis. He's also consistently in the right position and makes a lot of key defensive plays. Can he improve, yes, he is not perfect, but he is miles beyond JHS in terms of his defensive positioning and offensive efficiency.

JHS has gotten better with these things, but he needs to continue to improve and work his way into the lineup. Pulock had to wait until he was 23, JHS just needs to keep it consistent and keep putting work in.

Reactions: dood

Lights911

Dec 5, 2017
Long Island
I really hope he kills it in Bridgeport and gets called up. I love watching him play, in my opinion he as an it factor and can create so much offense when he is trusting himself and playing his game. I hope he’s up on the team sometime this year

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I really hope he kills it in Bridgeport and gets called up. I love watching him play, in my opinion he as an it factor and can create so much offense when he is trusting himself and playing his game. I hope he’s up on the team sometime this year

There’s absolutely no reason he shouldn’t be able to do everything that Nylander can do.

Reactions: Lights911

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
While I have no issue with the decision to send him down, I would love nothing more for him to play so well that he forces their hand to call him back up. He has the talent, it's up to him.

Reactions: Lights911
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad