Player Discussion: Josh Ho-Sang

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Remember Ho-sang homers..... when it was Garth and Weight's fault?

Is now Lou and Trotz's at fault?

Hopefully we can start putting Ho-sang's name in the Dal Colle/Strome/ Reinhart bust conversation

Let me guess the reply....

but but but they ruined him

but but but he signed a jersey for a little girl and it went viral.

Please put this dude as an option to rest. Ho-sang needs to do a deep dive and figure out why HE is divisive. Not why OTHERS don't understand him
Our other young talent managed to not be "ruined" by the previous regime so let's put a stop to this "he's misunderstood" nonsense. We all wanted to see him succeed and help the team, we still do, but his window of opportunity is getting smaller and it's up to him to get through it. Make no mistake, if he's better than the next man, he'll be on LI, if not, it's another story of an exceptional talent who never could put the whole package together. The history of the NHL, and pro sports in general, is littered with them. There is nothing new here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Costigan77

Macch

Mar 22, 2010

Hopefully we can start putting Ho-sang's name in the Dal Colle/Strome/ Reinhart bust conversation

Please put this dude as an option to rest. Ho-sang needs to do a deep dive and figure out why HE is divisive. Not why OTHERS don't understand him

So you're celebrating the fact a prospect didn't make the team out of camp?

You know it's beneficial to everyone who wants the isles succeed for him to come good right?

I guess we're just ignoring the fact that Lou had nothing but good things to say about him?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Ho-Sang was definitely mistreated by the previous regime. Not making the team with a roster full of veterans isn't exactly a knock. He performed okay, and he's performed every time he's been in the NHL, so I'm not sure what you're going on about.

Who had anything negative to say about Ho-Sang this year? Bellows got sent down too, I guess he's divisive, along with Fritz, Dal Colle, and everyone else.

Couldn't agree more. Our other young talent managed to not be "ruined" by the previous regime so let's put a stop to this "he's misunderstood" nonsense. We all wanted to see him succeed and help the team, we still do, but his window of opportunity is getting smaller and it's up to him to get through it. Make no mistake, if he's better than the next man, he'll be on LI, if not, it's another story of an exceptional talent who never could put the whole package together. The history of the NHL, and pro sports in general, is littered with them. There is nothing new here.

He was better than a bunch of people last year, and he got sent down. That's precisely the problem with the last regime.

Which other young talented guys weren't ruined by the previous regime? Dal Colle looks mediocre at best, isn't scoring, and the Pelech/Mayfield combo may have just been passed by some other guys. The previous crew didn't do a good job with developing the youth.

Reactions: MJF

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Ho-Sang was definitely mistreated by the previous regime. Not making the team with a roster full of veterans isn't exactly a knock. He performed okay, and he's performed every time he's been in the NHL, so I'm not sure what you're going on about.

Who had anything negative to say about Ho-Sang this year? Bellows got sent down too, I guess he's divisive, along with Fritz, Dal Colle, and everyone else.

He was better than a bunch of people last year, and he got sent down. That's precisely the problem with the last regime.

Which other young talented guys weren't ruined by the previous regime? Dal Colle looks mediocre at best, isn't scoring, and the Pelech/Mayfield combo may have just been passed by some other guys. The previous crew didn't do a good job with developing the youth.
I'm not going to argue about last year. We've got new sheriffs in town and they have made the same judgment at this point that the old sheriffs did. LL and BT want to win and they are going to do what it takes. Right now, the "what" does not include JHS. Giddy yup!

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Everything Lou said about him was positive. He is not getting the treatment he did under the Dead Weight regime.

The major difference being, they demoted him to the AHL to a Sound Tigers club devoid of talent. Bridgeport actually looks solid and he will get to play with a blueship goal scorer in Bellows, this is not the same situation at all.

Apparently, Ho-Sang has matured a lot and is perhaps over committed to playing a 200 ft game. Either way, this does not mean he is a bust, AT ALL.

So they sent him to the AHL because they were "devoid of talent."

Maybe send Barzal down too to help that 1st line

Reactions: 21 Savage

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Puffing out chest?
Are you really puffing out your chest and doing an “I told you so”? How weak.

Fact of the matter is the last regime has Ho-Sang so screwed up he doesn’t know if he's coming or going. The fact of the matter also is Ho-Sang had a lackluster camp this year . He looked tentative on the ice, afraid to make a mistake, not fluid like last year’s camp where he absolutely deserved to make the team. Hopefully he goes down to a stacked Bridgeport team and puts up numbers. If he does that and the Isles get off to the poor start I expect them to with this group of forwards and JHS will be back here by Thanksgiving. You can’t deny skill in a skill league.

Puffing out chest? Weak? No sir.

I am an Islander fan. I root for the laundry. When there is this dire "you can't deny skill" motive, it is insane. He is fast, yes. But obviously every other hockey coach that has come across this kids has argued that "total skill" is not there. We are now on what, the 50th hockey mind that doesn't think he is ready?

If he was going to be a star, he would be here. Barzal could have thrown the same fit he did 2 years ago. But he worked on himself physically and mentally.....and now is the face of the team.

Any update on that Ho-sang "personal day" yet?

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
So you're celebrating the fact a prospect didn't make the team out of camp?

You know it's beneficial to everyone who wants the isles succd for him to come good right?

I guess we're just ignoring the fact that Lou had nothing but good things to say about him?

Please let me know when I celebrated? I was merely stating to people like you that get off your high horse....he isn't worth the aggravation apparently.

Why do you think Lou and Trotz sung his praises despite a pretty meh camp?

Any update on that personal day yet?

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY

Mistreated? How? They didn't pat his hiney and tell him how special it was compared to others?

Alan Quine performed "ok" his first season up.

His divisiveness is not attributed to any of the other players you mentioned. Bellows playing a month or 2 in the AHL builds hunger. Fritz and Dal Colle....what? They are fringe players. Ho-sang has been anointed by several. He came in with a clean slate. Still couldn't convince. Bellows next step in his career will come from the drive to make this team from Bridgeport. Ho-sang's should have been this camp. He will now go down. Lets see if this helps.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
A lot of JHS hatred in this thread. Mentioning him in the same sentence as MDC-OUCH!
Me? Still pulling for him, he could be a difference maker.
Maybe Stan the Man can write a book about his personal day, for those on the edge of their seats.

Reactions: Quicklime

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Puffing out chest?

I am an Islander fan. I root for the laundry. When there is this dire "you can't deny skill" motive, it is insane. He is fast, yes. But obviously every other hockey coach that has come across this kids has argued that "total skill" is not there. We are now on what, the 50th hockey mind that doesn't think he is ready?

If he was going to be a star, he would be here. Barzal could have thrown the same fit he did 2 years ago. But he worked on himself physically and mentally.....and now is the face of the team.

Did you skip over the part where I said Ho-Sang did nothing to earn a spot this year?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I'm not going to argue about last year. We've got new sheriffs in town and they have made the same judgment at this point that the old sheriffs did. LL and BT want to win and they are going to do what it takes. Right now, the "what" does not include JHS. Giddy yup!

It's always a numbers game this time of year. Ho-Sang doesn't need waivers, so it almost certainly didn't matter how he performed. Same for Bellows. They were going to the minors to start no matter what. The same thing happened to Lee previously and lots of teams do this. They're keeping their veterans around for a little bit because cutting bait with them and then having an injury early on can force someone into the lineup who isn't ready or good. A waiver exempt player being sent down during camp isn't really an indication of much, other than they're waiver exempt.

Some of the defensemen who were sent down, like Aho, were better than Sbisa and some of the other guys currently on the roster. Why did they get sent down? They're waiver exempt and having veterans has value.

Mistreated? How? They didn't pat his hiney and tell him how special it was compared to others?

Well, you can't decide to hold one player accountable for defensive issues when the whole team is a defensive issue. He was right, he was sent down for his defense, then the Islanders gave up more goals without him than with him, while plenty of other players got a pass.

Alan Quine performed "ok" his first season up.

No he didn't.

His divisiveness is not attributed to any of the other players you mentioned. Bellows playing a month or 2 in the AHL builds hunger. Fritz and Dal Colle....what? They are fringe players. Ho-sang has been anointed by several. He came in with a clean slate. Still couldn't convince. Bellows next step in his career will come from the drive to make this team from Bridgeport. Ho-sang's should have been this camp. He will now go down. Lets see if this helps.

He came in with a clean slate because that's what Lou said publicly? Give me a break.

Again, it's a numbers game. He's waiver exempt. Are you really going to pretend like that's not part of the equation? This isn't a tryout for a travel team where you pick your players and go. In a mediocre camp for him, he was still better than a bunch of veterans. He was sent down, I don't care, but acting like he's a bust because he didn't "beat out" guys he never really had the chance of beating out is ludicrous.

Reactions: Macch

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Puffing out chest?

The fact that he can skate makes Ho-Sang a commodity to not be given up on so fast. If he can figure out discipline and coachability he could still have a long career in the NHL. If you want to see what happens to guys who can’t skate, look no further than Michael Dal Colle and Griffin Reinhart. JHS’s wheels are what makes him special, just like Barzal. Maturity is the difference between them.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
It's always a numbers game this time of year. Ho-Sang doesn't need waivers, so it almost certainly didn't matter how he performed. Same for Bellows. They were going to the minors to start no matter what. The same thing happened to Lee previously and lots of teams do this. They're keeping their veterans around for a little bit because cutting bait with them and then having an injury early on can force someone into the lineup who isn't ready or good. A waiver exempt player being sent down during camp isn't really an indication of much, other than they're waiver exempt.

Some of the defensemen who were sent down, like Aho, were better than Sbisa and some of the other guys currently on the roster. Why did they get sent down? They're waiver exempt and having veterans has value.

Well, you can't decide to hold one player accountable for defensive issues when the whole team is a defensive issue. He was right, he was sent down for his defense, then the Islanders gave up more goals without him than with him, while plenty of other players got a pass.

No he didn't.

He came in with a clean slate because that's what Lou said publicly? Give me a break.

Again, it's a numbers game. He's waiver exempt. Are you really going to pretend like that's not part of the equation? This isn't a tryout for a travel team where you pick your players and go. In a mediocre camp for him, he was still better than a bunch of veterans. He was sent down, I don't care, but acting like he's a bust because he didn't "beat out" guys he never really had the chance of beating out is ludicrous.

Not being a jerk, but Thomas kuhnhackl and Kovar are locks? I know you can make the position argument, fine.

Lou, from the old Devils, would have put Bernier at 3rd C if it meant Ho-sang stayed.

Also, why should he have had a clean slate? Junior coaches, Canada Junior coaches, AHL coaches, NHL coaches, all have an issue with him. It seems he "knows better." He absolutely has speed. He looked like he could be a playmaker...however I feel when teams prepped for his speed, he wasn't. I don't know why individuals give this kid a pass constantly. HE, no one else....is wasting HIS talent. Hopefully Ho-sang grows up and his name in on the cup as an Islander in the next 5 years

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
The fact that he can skate makes Ho-Sang a commodity to not be given up on so fast. If he can figure out discipline and coachability he could still have a long career in the NHL. If you want to see what happens to guys who can’t skate, look no further than Michael Dal Colle and Griffin Reinhart. JHS’s wheels are what makes him special, just like Barzal. Maturity is the difference between them.

Jeff Tambellini says hello

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Not being a jerk, but Thomas kuhnhackl and Kovar are locks? I know you can make the position argument, fine.

Lou, from the old Devils, would have put Bernier at 3rd C if it meant Ho-sang stayed.

Also, why should he have had a clean slate? Junior coaches, Canada Junior coaches, AHL coaches, NHL coaches, all have an issue with him. It seems he "knows better." He absolutely has speed. He looked like he could be a playmaker...however I feel when teams prepped for his speed, he wasn't. I don't know why individuals give this kid a pass constantly. HE, no one else....is wasting HIS talent. Hopefully Ho-sang grows up and his name in on the cup as an Islander in the next 5 years

I think Kuhnhackl is a lock, Kovar is fighting for a spot but he's only getting a long look because he'll just go back to the KHL if he doesn't get one. It's a lot different than a waiver exempt prospect you control.

I don't really care what he did or said at 15 and 16. The previous regime was riddle with a bunch of idiots, why should we value what Capuano, Weight, or Snow think about players? They're all awful.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
He needs to figure out how to not be such an enormous defensive liability.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I think Kuhnhackl is a lock, Kovar is fighting for a spot but he's only getting a long look because he'll just go back to the KHL if he doesn't get one. It's a lot different than a waiver exempt prospect you control.

I don't really care what he did or said at 15 and 16. The previous regime was riddle with a bunch of idiots, why should we value what Capuano, Weight, or Snow think about players? They're all awful.
The issues with Hong-Sang are still the same now as they were under Weight, Capuano, Thompson his Canada coaches and his Junior coaches. He's extremely reckless and irresponsibly defensively.

Reactions: Costigan77

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The issues with Hong-Sang are still the same now as they were under Weight, Capuano, Thompson his Canada coaches and his Junior coaches. He's extremely reckless and irresponsibly defensively.

He wasn't during camp. It was that he was too hesitant, so I personally get the impression that he's trying to ensure he's doing the right things defensively, which is good. Hopefully if he can get that more ingrained he'll be able to pick back up the offense.

He's not a lock, but he's not a career AHLer at this point either.

Reactions: dood

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY

Fair--

But now Lamoriello and Trotz are at the helm. And to be honest, based on Tavares leaving,the understand the need for a spark. I'd think he would be a focus......unless that personal day.....had to do with something????

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
C'mon, enough about this guy. JHS is still in the organization and if BT and LL think he can help them implement their Stanley Cup plan in some way, whatever it is, that's what they're going to do. If not, then so be it.

LL would tell you that JHS is one - unproven - player and it's a team game. I agree.

Reactions: dood

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Ho-Sang is exactly where he deserved to be.
no he isn't, he has averaged over 1/2 a point a game in his brief time in the league, considering how much the team sucked when he went down last year and how much the team looks like it is going to suck going into the season, he is deserving of a spot on the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad