Player Discussion: Josh Ho-Sang

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
Leopard can't change it's spots. Kid is a defensive liability and blue line hanger. Will take Trotz all of 3 preseason games to realize this guy is marginal NHL talent.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Leopard can't change it's spots. Kid is a defensive liability and blue line hanger. Will take Trotz all of 3 preseason games to realize this guy is marginal NHL talent.

JHS has a technical skill set some players could only dream of having. He is far from marginal, marginal is Tyler Kennedy, Shane Prince, Alan Quine, Scott Mayfield.

Please understand in any team sport where possession is key (football, basketball, hockey, soccer) usually the high end offensive players do have quite a few turnovers. Do you care if a QB throws a few picks if he throws many more TD's? Did anyone care when Kobe turned the ball over 7 times a game while putting up 50 points?

Risk vs. Reward - put JHS on the ice with defensively responsible line mates who can cover for him. Still work on training him to be responsible himself, but as a you said a leopard can't change it's spots, nor should it. Ho-Sang has god given ability, that seems pretty obvious, let him put it to work.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
JHS has a technical skill set some players could only dream of having. He is far from marginal, marginal is Tyler Kennedy, Shane Prince, Alan Quine, Scott Mayfield.

Please understand in any team sport where possession is key (football, basketball, hockey, soccer) usually the high end offensive players do have quite a few turnovers. Do you care if a QB throws a few picks if he throws many more TD's? Did anyone care when Kobe turned the ball over 7 times a game while putting up 50 points?

Risk vs. Reward - put JHS on the ice with defensively responsible line mates who can cover for him. Still work on training him to be responsible himself, but as a you said a leopard can't change it's spots, nor should it. Ho-Sang has god given ability, that seems pretty obvious, let him put it to work.

Okay, but if you have 10 horses pulling a trailer and the fastest and strongest horse keeps going off the track....you can't use that horse. I'm only worried about JHS smarts. I don't think he's smart enough for the game. I hope i'm wrong though.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Okay, but if you have 10 horses pulling a trailer and the fastest and strongest horse keeps going off the track....you can't use that horse. I'm only worried about JHS smarts. I don't think he's smart enough for the game. I hope i'm wrong though.
In fairness, it may help the horse if the trainer had any clue what the heck he was doing.

I have infinitely more faith in Trotz than any recent Islander coach

Reactions: BarBeauWahlDobLok

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
In fairness, it may help the horse if the trainer had any clue what the heck he was doing.

I have infinitely more faith in Trotz than any recent Islander coach

All valid points IF this was his first coach. He's had lots of coaches and problems in the past. This isn't a coach thing. Doesn't mean a good coach can't fix it, but let's not act like this is suddenly an issue with only one horse trainer.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach

Have you seen some of his assists?

He is a playmaker through and through. I think his turnovers are more the result of cockiness and a habit of wanting possession all the time, since he got away with that kind of shit in Junior. If Trotz can break that habit, we will be looking at an exceptional player.

JHS seems very adept at drawing defenders to him and then making a slick pass to an open man, stupid Hockey players don't do that regularly, he does.

Not every player on the roster needs to be Ryan Kesler. A playmaking, winger with elite speed that can enter the zone and maintain possession more often then not is a tremendous asset to a top-6.

Reactions: CupHolders

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
All valid points IF this was his first coach. He's had lots of coaches and problems in the past. This isn't a coach thing. Doesn't mean a good coach can't fix it, but let's not act like this is suddenly an issue with only one horse trainer.
This is true. But Trotz is probably the best coach he’s ever had. If he can’t cut it with him, then he’ll probably never get it. Which is a shame because he has the tools to be a star

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Have you seen some of his assists?

He is a playmaker through and through. I think his turnovers are more the result of cockiness and a habit of wanting possession all the time, since he got away with that kind of **** in Junior. If Trotz can break that habit, we will be looking at an exceptional player.

JHS seems very adept at drawing defenders to him and then making a slick pass to an open man, stupid Hockey players don't do that regularly, he does.

Not every player on the roster needs to be Ryan Kesler. A playmaking, winger with elite speed that can enter the zone and maintain possession more often then not is a tremendous asset to a top-6.

Yeah, he has some nice assists and some playmaking ability, but he still has horrible decision making often. Barzal can anticipate lanes opening by his movement around the ice and knows when to dish the puck. JHS lacks that elite anticipation (imo) so if he is slow to react all bringing defenders to him does is force a turnover and usually too high around the blue line really handicapping the team.

I honestly don't think his game is bad past either blue line, it's the neutral zone where he looks lost to me more often than not.

This is absolutely ridiculous. Defense is absolutely coachable and can be taught.

Defensive is coachable and can be taught, but the OP never said whether he thinks his defensive liabilities are systematic, or IQ related. You cannot teach real hockey smarts. It's the difference between training a dog and training a human. The human comprehends why he's doing it where the dog is just reacting to feedback. We don't know if JHS has the know-it-all to process why he needs to do what he's being told to do. This is all speculation anyway, but I don't think the OP was talking about strictly learning to play defense.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I'm still at a bit of a loss with Ho-Sang, and it's not because the mistakes or attitude stuff, at least not directly. I'm more concerned about the fact that he seemed to lack the explosiveness last year that he had in years past. It's a problem that seemed to carry over to his time in BPT. Without the ability to accelerate and create separation, he's not a useful player whether he buys into the system or not.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
I'm still at a bit of a loss with Ho-Sang, and it's not because the mistakes or attitude stuff, at least not directly. I'm more concerned about the fact that he seemed to lack the explosiveness last year that he had in years past. It's a problem that seemed to carry over to his time in BPT. Without the ability to accelerate and create separation, he's not a useful player whether he buys into the system or not.
I think it was due to Weightitis.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Staple alluded to an injury in one of his Athletic articles on Josh.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
He'll be an effective NHL'er this year. The more I think about it with how wide open they played I think Weight did nothing to real in Ho-Sang. They didn't play any type of system. You put a kid like that onto a team that played as undisciplined as it did this is the result you are going to get.

Trotz will straighten him out.

BarzyClub

Jan 17, 2018
A question for the Soundtiger faithful ...

Has he played center in the A? I know he played some C in juniors, he’s certainly got the speed and vision for it. I feel like he could be our 2nd line C if given the chance. I think he would certainly be better than Nelson at 2C.

Trotz’s defensive system may help HoSang’s chances to excel into a top player in the Nhl more so than Weight’s “offensive extravaganza “system. There will be more defensive support in Trotz’s system so mistakes won’t be as glaring or costly. Of course hosang has to learn and be adept at playing the system.

Initially we will see growing pains, but I think the Isles are at the stage where we can afford to let the kids make mistakes and learn from them for the greater payoff a year or two down the road. IMO our of all the Islander young guns Ho Sang is most suited to move into the 2C role ( along with Beauvillier) as they both have the speed and the vision to play the position.

HoCk4307

Aug 2, 2005

He has had a few but since he has been drafted he has had nothing but awful coaches in his time with the Islanders and in Bridgeport. That has changed, so I am optimistic

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
He has had a few but since he has been drafted he has had nothing but awful coaches in his time with the Islanders and in Bridgeport. That has changed, so I am optimistic

And just to add Bridgeport is where prospects go to die since the Isles did very little to develop players down there. Hopefully that all changes this season.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Sounds like he got off to a good start last night. Though it was a rookie game. Hosang will be fine if he plays a team game rather than an individual one. I always thought he was his own worst enemy. I do see Lamoriello's rules benefitting him perhaps more than any other player on the Isles. If so maybe this is the year he finally makes the NHL for good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad