Player Discussion: Josh Ho-Sang

Status
Not open for further replies.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I've seen Rinne's name a couple of times here as a proposition for a goaltender. Are there any reasons for Nashville to trade him?
I read Nashville was not trading him.

Guessing Lou could contact the Preds and try to change their minds, by blowing their socks off with a big offer.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I've seen Rinne's name a couple of times here as a proposition for a goaltender. Are there any reasons for Nashville to trade him?

There were several rumors in May. Saroos is the heir apparent, they may think he is closer than imagined. Saroos looked better in the playoffs, as far as I am concerned.

Reactions: Riseonfire

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
I think JHS is in a different organization by fall. He’s run his course as an Isle’s prospect, as has MDC. Unfortunately both are career minor leaguers.

I wonder why folks are reluctant to not consider the NY Islanders in 2018-19 a major change of scenery for these kids and not give them a clean slate. After screaming about Snow, Weight, Cappy, Thompson etc, they would just give up and not allow a fresh set of eyes to watch and determine what is the right move here.

If LL says they don’t belong, then I will agree.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
There were several rumors in May. Saroos is the heir apparent, they may think he is closer than imagined. Saroos looked better in the playoffs, as far as I am concerned.

I know Saros is their guy in the net, but I haven't seen anything indicating they might trade Rinne. Wouldn't it be better for them to have Rinne there? Even if Saros is given the starting job, it'd be smart to have Rinne back him up when needed.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
You feel these stats are not in line with what you saw of him as a player this season? While of course any number of stats could be caused by luck, including offensive stats, in this case the stats match up very much with the eye test.
No, I was actually dissing the group who worship at the altar of Hickey.
My first post after the weekend, I had no idea that we re-signed him. Gross!

Last edited by a moderator:

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Just heard an interview with Lou and at the end the guys asked about Ho-Sang and based on his outspoken attitude and previous issues, what his take was.

Lou said he's giving JHS a clean slate and the way Lou sounded, he basically had a casual conversation and said to him..whatever you did in the past is the past...you have a clean slate with me.

https://www.tsn.ca/video/lamoriello-isles-moving-forward-without-tavares~1434008

What I got out of it was: Staying with the Isles is up to Ho-Sang..this is all his to lose because he is given every opportunity by Lou to make the team and be successful.

Cameraguy

Jun 29, 2009
Just heard an interview with Lou and at the end the guys asked about Ho-Sang and based on his outspoken attitude and previous issues, what his take was.

Lou said he's giving JHS a clean slate and the way Lou sounded, he basically had a casual conversation and said to him..whatever you did in the past is the past...you have a clean slate with me.

https://www.tsn.ca/video/lamoriello-isles-moving-forward-without-tavares~1434008

What I got out of it was: Staying with the Isles is up to Ho-Sang..this is all his to lose because he is given every opportunity by Lou to make the team and be successful.
Yes heard that as well.
Ho-Sang just won the lottery from Lou.

Last edited:

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
I didn’t read the above. JHS is supremely skilled. Trotz will increase his defensive awareness and turn him into a valuable player. Also, these are not the droids you are looking for.

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
With all the bottom 6 forwards signed, where does JHS fit in the forward group? He has the skill to be in the top 6.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
With all the bottom 6 forwards signed, where does JHS fit in the forward group? He has the skill to be in the top 6.

He's got skill to be top 3. If he had his head on straight, he'd go top 5 easily in his draft year.

Reactions: dood

Steve Baker

Jul 12, 2018
Howdy all, first time poster, been reading for a long time. Love everyone’s insight into the irrational insane dedication I have to this ridiculous franchise.

Tavares departure has me angry we didn’t get assets for him. He can’t and won’t be forgiven. Too bad he chucked his legacy out the window. That’s his problem , not ours.

On Ho Sang: we need him. He’s a potential star in this league. I’ve watched the isles forever; I’m compelled to post because I see all these ideas of trading him. It would be crazy stupid to do so. I knew the moment I saw Palffy in the olympics as an 18 year old he was a star. Ho Sang is the same. With he and Barzal the isles will be fine as long as they don’t do their usual stupid stuff.

You have to build with youth and the draft. We have a 25 year rebuild because we keep almost getting there and then trade trade our youth for aging stick insects like Kirk Muller and Trevor Linden. Learn from the past. These stupid 4th line signings have me concerned. What are we doing here? Tavares is gone. Build through he youth. We actually have very promising young players. We may not make the playoffs this year. We’re used to it.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Howdy all, first time poster, been reading for a long time. Love everyone’s insight into the irrational insane dedication I have to this ridiculous franchise.

Tavares departure has me angry we didn’t get assets for him. He can’t and won’t be forgiven. Too bad he chucked his legacy out the window. That’s his problem , not ours.

On Ho Sang: we need him. He’s a potential star in this league. I’ve watched the isles forever; I’m compelled to post because I see all these ideas of trading him. It would be crazy stupid to do so. I knew the moment I saw Palffy in the olympics as an 18 year old he was a star. Ho Sang is the same. With he and Barzal the isles will be fine as long as they don’t do their usual stupid stuff.

You have to build with youth and the draft. We have a 25 year rebuild because we keep almost getting there and then trade trade our youth for aging stick insects like Kirk Muller and Trevor Linden. Learn from the past. These stupid 4th line signings have me concerned. What are we doing here? Tavares is gone. Build through he youth. We actually have very promising young players. We may not make the playoffs this year. We’re used to it.

I do not think that the signings of these bottom six guys will hurt JHS too much. If he were to make the team you do not put him in the bottom six. He excelled playing in the top six on the second line behind f***face that one year.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

Great post! Lou said something recently about the Isles having a couple of exceptional talents. I wonder if he meant JHS as one of them. And part of the reason for getting the vets (Komarov, Martin, Filppula) is for them to play with and be in the locker room for him (and other kids).

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

You need to post more often.

I don't think Lou has any desire to trade Ho-Sang, I don't think he has any plans to trade any of the youth actually.

Ho-Sang is a wild stallion, he needs to be torn down and then rebuilt into a thoroughbred race horse. I had no faith that the previous regime could do it. Lou, Trotz, and the new coaching staff is a completely different story. I feel very good about his future now that he'll get proper coaching and no BS guidance.

JHS is not at Barzal's level, but he brings a very similar skillset. We can definitely use a player like that.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Being as objective as possible, I do not see star potential, nor elite first line potential in JHS. I see top 6 upside, 45-60 pts; which I’d be thrilled with.

I’ve watched him closely during his pro career, I’ll zone in just on him during plays/shifts. What always strikes me as a major flaw is his decision making with and without the puck. I’m not sure how much of that is fixable; there’s only so much in core competencies one can correct. He plays the game like he’s the best player in a pickup league. If he is to utilize his skills, he needs to learn how to play within a team’s system. Moreover, he sorely needs to get stronger and improve his shot. If his shot was more of a threat, he’d be less of a one-trick pony. He’d open up even more space for himself and teammates.

I like the kid a lot. I like that he’s matured, I like that he’s outspoken, I like that he isn’t cookie cutter (anti Jf***face). I like that he CAN prove the naysayers wrong. And I like his blend of speed, hands and passing.

So yeah, just felt like elaborating on Mr. JHS.

Mavericknyc1980

Jul 14, 2006
This is now his time to develop. Perfect coach to get him going. If he does develop watch 0ut, his talent is off the charts.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008

Saros is apparently well-loved in NASH (according to McLennan) even though he's a small goalie. McLennan loves Rinne as well, speaks very highly of him (coincidentally, he doesn't like Lehner but thinks the world of Mitch Korn) -- why does Jamie McLennan's opinion matter? Not sure, but he was a goalie and seems to know a lot about goaltending, still very connected with NHL goalie coaches. Heard an interview with Mitch Korn a few weeks ago as well. Have the Isles signed this man yet?

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
He mentions Ho-Sang's turnovers, but doesn't really drive the point home.

Ho-Sang had the highest turnover rate in the league last year. No coach is going to tolerate that, he simply must get better.

agreed. it seems like he can skate around forever, and keep the puck away from the opposition. great stuff! but, he gives it away far too much, and doesn't hustle back. not to mention that he got pushed off the puck very easily. he can fix his man strength, but hasn't put on any weight since being drafted. this is concerning. most kids his age, staring millions of $ right in the face, work their ass off to be better. he seems disinterested.

as a coach, this doesn't bother me. all players have faults. what really concerns me, is JHS's coachability. some people don't like being told what to do. i hope this isn't the case.

maybe racism is part of it. maybe JHS is paranoid. i'd like nothing more than to see him succeed in hockey and life.

i hope LL can push the right buttons, but i ain't holding my breath. i'd like to see LL try Josh at C. maybe the kid will respond to a challenge?

Last edited:

IslandersGER

Dec 29, 2015
Deutschland
He mentions Ho-Sang's turnovers, but doesn't really drive the point home.

Ho-Sang had the highest turnover rate in the league last year. No coach is going to tolerate that, he simply must get better.
this is NOT true!
takeaway-giveaway-ratio
HoSang 10-23-0.4
Mayfield 5-37-0.1
Hickey 14-60-0.2
Boychuk 15-46-0.3
I stopped researching after these examples. And I think it's more crucial if a D-man lose the puck because in most cases there will be high danger as normally there's only the goalie behind the defenders. Yes, HoSang can and should be better in his turnover ratio, but don't call him the worst and scapegoat for last years dumpster fire at Isles defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad