Player Discussion: Josh Ho-Sang Pt II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Player is unjustly being buried in Bridgeport and fans here are calling him out on it and calling him a bust, some team is going to take a flyer on him and give him a regular spot on a NHL team and it is going to be a great decision, one has to wonder if there is a racist element going on here.

Theres nothing that indicates race is a factor, at all.

Prior to this off-season I felt him being sent to BPT was a bad decision, but now it's not entirely unjust, given the roster additions/subtractions. It would have made more sense to get a longer look with the fast paced game the team was playing but it didn't happen that way under Snow & Weight.

Now, he needs to produce in a league with inferior talent when compared to the NHL. If he is really on a 3rd line and getting such limited opportunity, that's a problem - but I don't watch enough Tigers games to know whether there is real validity to that.

One things for sure, the fact that he IS NOT on the top PP unit is ODD. Teaching accountability and structure is great, but It seems Thompson is trying to turn him into something he is not. He is a high risk/high reward player (not potential, but on-ice consequence). Even NBC picked up the story but let's be real here - What do you think Ho-Sang yields you in a trade at this stage in the game? Another prospect that can't crack a roster, a 2nd?

I think Ho-Sang can really perform on a 2nd line, but it doesn't seem that opportunity exists here. Bridgeports offense should be running through him and it's not - which is a problem. When all is done, I sadly feel it will be JHS in another jersey dangling around Pelech.

But look, if he can see light at the end of the tunnel, there are two potential openings in the top-6....

Beauvillier/Ladd- Barzal - UFA Eberle
Lee- UFA Nelson - Bailey

Nelson can be replaced by another 2C either via trade/draft/Bailey being moved back to the middle
Eberle is good and all, but will Lamoriello try to retain or ship him off at the deadline?

Reactions: 13th Floor

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
He should keep his mouth shut but I do Believe he hasn’t been given the best chance to succeed and play his game. Sure he needs to work on defense and turnovers but he’s a high octane offensive player. Let the kid loose. Now would be the year to do it. I’d rather have him being part of Barry Trotz practices and meetings than Thompson’s.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I’ve been pulling for this kid to put it together. I think I want him to prove the naysayers wrong. I’m learning he doesn’t deserve that.

This ‘woe is me’ cry sounds eerily similar to Rob Schremp. Take responsibility over your fate by playing hard, playing smart, and producing. Want to get noticed!? Score at a PPG clip in the minors, demonstrating that you can play within a team system. Crying to the media, victimizing yourself isn’t going to do it.

Think LL gives him one more chance, they had countless talks thus summer. Long term, I doubt he sticks; his talent hasn’t materialized, the victim mentality is to his core.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Ho-Sang should have been on the team at the start of the year. The Islanders severely lack skill players and that is something he provides. His speed and stick handling ability are assets alone.

Reactions: Bood12

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
Player is unjustly being buried in Bridgeport and fans here are calling him out on it and calling him a bust, some team is going to take a flyer on him and give him a regular spot on a NHL team and it is going to be a great decision, one has to wonder if there is a racist element going on here.

Ah, wat?

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Trotz and staff can teach this. Give him a shot. This team's not going anywhere. This season should be a Petri dish for just such an experiment.

They aren’t going to hand him a job when he’s whining to the media and not producing. Cave to his demands!? Runs counter to the team over individual concept.

chris novellino

Jul 6, 2018
I’ve been pulling for this kid to put it together. I think I want him to prove the naysayers wrong. I’m learning he doesn’t deserve that.

This ‘woe is me’ cry sounds eerily similar to Rob Schremp. Take responsibility over your fate by playing hard, playing smart, and producing. Want to get noticed!? Score at a PPG clip in the minors, demonstrating that you can play within a team system. Crying to the media, victimizing yourself isn’t going to do it.

Think LL gives him one more chance, they had countless talks thus summer. Long term, I doubt he sticks; his talent hasn’t materialized, the victim mentality is to his core.
He will never get anywhere playing the victim card, I wanted for him to make the team but with that mind set. Its no wonder other teams passed him up, I say trade him now and maybe he will learn from it and have a good carrier.
Its just not looking good since that mind set would be tough to break at this point.

chris novellino

Jul 6, 2018
he reminds me of Rick DiPietro, the me me me type of guy, Rick wanted to score goals so bad that it cost him his career. He doesn't get team first.

Reactions: bigtim1988

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
he reminds me of Rick DiPietro, the me me me type of guy, Rick wanted to score goals so bad that it cost him his career. He doesn't get team first.

I know. The guy committed to the islanders for life and kept getting surgery after surgery and months of months rehabbing putting himself though mental and physical he’ll just so he could honor his contract and helpnrur islanders.

Selfish prick

I wish Tavares was as much me me as DiPietro who bled Royal Blue and Orange.

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
I know. The guy committed to the islanders for life and kept getting surgery after surgery and months of months rehabbing putting himself though mental and physical he’ll just so he could honor his contract and helpnrur islanders.

Selfish prick

No clue how we're getting to NY, but I bought tickets for Feb 28 for me and my kids just so we can be there.. I plan to wear my DP jersey..

Reactions: SI90

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017

Selfish prick

Dipietro didn't care about the Islanders winning. He would of retired the day they started benching roleson the day dieptero returned from a other injury ....if he cares about the isles winning . All if them ruined the isles, Rick, Charles, snow, none of them were any good at their job . Doobie had a more memorable islander career than dipietro in my mind. But none of the three cared about the Islanders winning as much as they cared about enjoying their job they weren't qualified for. and Rick playing the puck and losing games because of it...watching it is like watching odel beckam now.

TommytheCat

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
most here wanted josh to succeed and many people point out that he did put up some numbers on his stint with the isles ... keep in mind that was also during a time where the team was without any structure with dw ... you know the kind of style that worked in juniors for josh ... damn wish he would just shut up and prove it to lou and trotz... frig even ladd came in and is getting it done on the uncle line , after most of the fan base gave up on him

Reactions: bigtim1988

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
most here wanted josh to succeed and many people point out that he did put up some numbers on his stint with the isles ... keep in mind that was also during a time where the team was without any structure with dw ... you know the kind of style that worked in juniors for josh ... damn wish he would just shut up and prove it to lou and trotz... frig even ladd came in and is getting it done on the uncle line , after most of the fan base gave up on him

Yeah but Ladd already understands the NHL game and despite his shortcomings, usually has a decent read on the play. So while Ho-Sang has the physical tools, he still would have to adapt to the game. Valid point about him thriving in Weights system. I still think the team is lacking a true puck carrier after Barzal. Ho-Sang solves that problem for sure, I really hope he pans out here but it sounds like the clock is ticking.

Reactions: TommytheCat

chris novellino

Jul 6, 2018
This is the worst comment I have ever read on this message board.
If Rick stayed in his net and played within the team system his injuries would have been limited and he would have had a great career. Instead he wanted to be the man, which is what I see in Ho Sang.

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
There have been several post all over this board disparaging Ladd's play of late.
I happen to think he's been playing quite well can't fault him for the contract he was given we would all take the money. And prior to him getting injured last year he was doing fine with Barzal also. I think people use Ladd as a default when looking to vent similar to Mayfield and Nelson.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Everyone speaks of a players "hockey IQ". Some have it and some don't but sometimes it needs to be developed by teaching. At the same time some skills are physical and can't be taught.
It's ideal to have both. JHS is a smart enough person to be taught the game the right way and develop his IQ better. The coaches in the AHL are not the right fit. On the flip side we see many players with skill who succeed despite this great hockey knowledge.
To that I say IQ is pretty overated. I also don't see that as JHS biggest flaw. All young players are prone to mental mistakes.
The kid deserves a chance to play with NHL coaching.
He is right when he talks about his lack of opportunity.

Rehabguy

Oct 2, 2011
Everyone speaks of a players "hockey IQ". Some have it and some don't but sometimes it needs to be developed by teaching. At the same time some skills are physical and can't be taught.
It's ideal to have both. JHS is a smart enough person to be taught the game the right way and develop his IQ better. The coaches in the AHL are not the right fit. On the flip side we see many players with skill who succeed despite this great hockey knowledge.
To that I say IQ is pretty overated. I also don't see that as JHS biggest flaw. All young players are prone to mental mistakes.
The kid deserves a chance to play with NHL coaching.
He is right when he talks about his lack of opportunity.

He creates his own opportunities by demonstrating smart play with whatever time he gets on the ice however limited it may be. He plays better, he gets more time on the ice. It's that simple. This victimized attitude is just not going to cut it. Lou Lamiorello and Trotz were correct to keep the inexperienced youth down in Bridgeport while they get their veteran players to buy into Trotz new system and game plan. The last thing they needed was the addition burden of acclimating inexperienced rookies to both life in the NHL as well as buying into a system. They had their hands full with getting the veteran players to adopt to a new system but by keeping inexperience out of the line-up for now, its just one thing less to worry about. The youth will get their chance once the core veteran players have the new system down. HoSang just doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut. He's his own worse enemy and every time he opens his mouth he moves one step farther from ever having an NHL career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->