Player Discussion: Josh Ho-Sang

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
JHS is a likeable guy. He also has skill but lacks maturity. I feel like a fire will be lit under him and he will still be an asset somewhere in the NHL. He knows what's at stake and normally those players need a change of scenery to adjust. I rather JHS just play for the Islanders. As someone said with all the injuries and such. I think we all have a a little JHS in us. Just needs to simplify his game and he will be alright. That draft was not great league wide and as noted earlier MDC was picked fifth overall.
I don't have the same optimism, I really feel he needed a season to develop his game with no pressure, the spot MDC was given last year should have gone to Ho-Sang, this year (if there is hockey) I am guessing he is going to be playing extra nervous as he knows he is under the microscope and the slightest screw up the powers that be are just going to look to yank him

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I don't have the same optimism, I really feel he needed a season to develop his game with no pressure, the spot MDC was given last year should have gone to Ho-Sang, this year (if there is hockey) I am guessing he is going to be playing extra nervous as he knows he is under the microscope and the slightest screw up the powers that be are just going to look to yank him
Trotz is gonna be blamed for creating anxiety disorders in the youngsters with skill but have trouble on the defensive side of the game

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
JHS is so dumb because if he would have just shut his mouth last year with all the injuries that happened we probably would have seen JHS up instead of Wahlstrom and Bellows. What a moron.
um yea you do know Ho-Sang was sent down and buried in 2018-19 after a very solid 10 game call up and the Islanders had numerous injuries after that call up in which they passed on Ho-Sang, than going into the 2019-20 season they again sent Ho-Sang down in favor of players who were definitely less deserving, so what confidence do you think Ho-Sang had he was ever going to get a call up? he was justified in asking for a trade

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Trotz is gonna be blamed for creating anxiety disorders in the youngsters with skill but have trouble on the defensive side of the game
so far, only you and a few others think this way.

and so far, i don't disagree with any of what Trotz/LL have done with JHS.

hockey is a team game, and JHS has to learn to play well with others. everyone sees that he is talented, but when was the last time that a Stanley Cup was given to a team with top possession? it's about scoring more than the opponent, and there is a complex and proven formula that he seems to be averse to. for whatever reason.

BT & LL seem to have a very decent following of respected people, that respect them. i trust that they will do what is best for the team and JHS, but they are not going to put him ahead of everyone else.

anyway, he has another chance, it seems. and if he plays along, he may find himself a multi-millionaire in a few years. not bad for playing a sport that he loves.

just NIKE this, Josh. just do it...

Reactions: GoIsles1

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
so far, only you and a few others think this way.

and so far, i don't disagree with any of what Trotz/LL have done with JHS.

hockey is a team game, and JHS has to learn to play well with others. everyone sees that he is talented, but when was the last time that a Stanley Cup was given to a team with top possession? it's about scoring more than the opponent, and there is a complex and proven formula that he seems to be averse to. for whatever reason.

BT & LL seem to have a very decent following of respected people, that respect them. i trust that they will do what is best for the team and JHS, but they are not going to put him ahead of everyone else.

anyway, he has another chance, it seems. and if he plays along, he may find himself a multi-millionaire in a few years. not bad for playing a sport that he loves.

just NIKE this, Josh. just do it...
Agreed but the problem I have is not with what Trotz or Lou are doing to some degree with JHS or the several other rookies but accountability toward the veterans. For instance players like Lee and Eberle seem to get a free pass. Hell the Islanders brought up Ladd who looked like a shell of his former self and gave him meaningful minutes. And all this negativity toward Toews since he was traded is comical when the aforementioned are worse in their own zone.

Last edited:

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
um yea you do know Ho-Sang was sent down and buried in 2018-19 after a very solid 10 game call up and the Islanders had numerous injuries after that call up in which they passed on Ho-Sang, than going into the 2019-20 season they again sent Ho-Sang down in favor of players who were definitely less deserving, so what confidence do you think Ho-Sang had he was ever going to get a call up? he was justified in asking for a trade
This is exactly how I feel. He played well and is trying to find himself. Just when it seemed like he was making strides to turn things around the carpet was pulled from under him. How does a young fellow learn by their mistakes when they have to constantly worry about looking over the shoulder?
So yes IMHO JHS in somewhat fashion was treated unfairly.
Vets on this team seem to be given a much longer leash.
I feel Lou is way too loyal to the elders and the players he brings in and not of the Snow regime.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

Honestly? I am so over the JHS defenders. He has had issues everywhere he goes despite his talent. It is not even worth the argument because you somehow don't see anything wrong with JHS or you're trolling.

I am rooting for him because he has so much talent, but he has nothing for a brain.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
This is exactly how I feel. He played well and is trying to find himself. Just when it seemed like he was making strides to turn things around the carpet was pulled from under him. How does a young fellow learn by their mistakes when they have to constantly worry about looking over the shoulder?
So yes IMHO JHS in somewhat fashion was treated unfairly.
Vets on this team seem to be given a much longer leash.
I feel Lou is way too loyal to the elders and the players he brings in and not of the Snow regime.

That's the nature of any job. Tenured people get more leeway than non-tenured people. If you can't figure out why, that's a you problem.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
ha again what are his "issues", you can never say and FACTS besides he was late 1 time and than you talk about "issues" other people had with him without getting into any detail, those are things that would not hold up in court unless it was like 1940 Germany or 1920 Alabama, and than you make a comment about how he has "nothing for a brain" which shows where you stand

Jeez.... This post might get deleted from another mod (and feel free but as long as bood sees this I am good with it being deleted).

I had a nice reply written up to you explaining how I am not a racist and how I am an elementary school teacher but I deleted it. The reason why I deleted it is because it is not worth the effort with you.

I really don't give a f*** about how much you think JHS is not in the NHL because he is black, but if you keep accusing people of essentially being racist it just won't fly.

This is a thread to discuss JHS, if you continue to race bait you are going to get points. Enough with the JHS race talk.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Post 9 Isles Prospect Talk 2020-21
Post 353 Player Discussion: - Josh Ho-Sang 2019-20
Post 387 Player Discussion: - Josh Ho-Sang 2019-20

Also here's a blog post that thinks QOing Ho-Sang was good asset management.
Islanders: Reasons Lou Lamoriello would qualify RFA Josh Ho-Sang

There are other bloggers on Twitter who felt the same way.

Where you jumped in on this was me saying the Isles would end up moving him for a 7th round pick. It was always predicated on Ho-Sang going to Europe and building his game back up, then coming back to the NHL as a late season acquisition for another team and us probably only being able to get a late round pick for him. This is the last I'm going to say about this because we've wasted enough time having me "defend my statement". No need to derail the conversation any further.

As for your last statement, I don't buy that Ho-Sang is here because Lou wanted to keep him here playing for the Islanders. I think Lou QO'd him with the idea that Ho-Sang would continue to try to find another team in Europe to play for once his KHL prospect fizzled out. This was all about getting something, even draft capital, for JHS somewhere down the road. Ho-Sang being here now is like a couple staying married because neither one can afford to buy out the other from the house they own jointly and having nowhere else to go. Lou and JHS agreed to a contract because the wheels were already set in motion by Lou and then Ho-Sang requesting arbitration.

So here are the quotes. And literally not a single one of them said he'd be traded for a pick without being signed or playing first.

In light of Ho-Sang only needing a QO to be retained, it's natural that the team will do this.

He is, after all, an asset.
No mention of a trade at all in this comment, much less any details on when it might happen.

Better on the roster than off for both parties.

Who knows what happens but best thing is for him to work his ass off now until the end of the year. What happens next is up to him.

This one specifically refers to him working his ass off, and I'm pretty sure the implication was supposedly on the ice, i.e. playing in games, and then still leaves open what might happen.

Qualifying him doesn't do anything other than maintain his rights if he does leave I think. Many of us suggested Lamoriello do just that because there isn't much sense in letting a talented player walk away for free. What's the harm in holding his rights?

Again, no mention of a trade in this post, and merely states that they don't see the harm in holding onto his rights.

It was predicated on him playing and building his value. There was some discussion of doing it in Europe, because there was rumor he might be playing in Europe. But if he's not playing in Europe, I don't see why you think this somehow a gotcha moment where you need to call people out, that instead we're hoping he can build his value in the AHL instead. No one said it would definitely happen, and no one called it great asset management. The quotes you provided above just confirm that you greatly misrepresented what happened to pay yourself on the back.

But sure, it makes more sense that Lou was so scared of Ho-Sang's case that he'd be able to bring to arbitration that he caved and more than tripled his salary because of it, and that he had didn't have any more information on Ho-Sang's plans than us fans. That doesn't mean he necessarily wants him on the Islanders, but I highly doubt Lou agreed to pay Josh 225k to play for BST because he doesn't want him to play for BST.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Well I'm rooting for JHS and not just because he is fun to watch. Deep down I see a kid with a lot of heart.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Agreed but the problem I have is not with what Trotz or Lou are doing to some degree with JHS or the several other rookies but accountability toward the veterans. For instance players like Lee and Eberle seem to get a free pass. Hell the Islanders brought up Ladd who looked like a shell of his former self and gave him meaningful minutes. And all this negativity toward Toews since he was traded is comical when the aforementioned are worse in their own zone.
What has Lee done that he needs a free pass? I get Eberle being unpopular, his lack of physicality during the playoffs needs to be cured, or he needs to go. Ladd was either a desperation move or a last meaningful game for a guy on his way out of the league. Toews, are you still beating that drum?
OT: JHS has had plenty of chances. If he gets one more and blows it, he will have to learn another language. No hatred, I am still rooting for the guy. To be on page two.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
What has Lee done that he needs a free pass? I get Eberle being unpopular, his lack of physicality during the playoffs needs to be cured, or he needs to go. Ladd was either a desperation move or a last meaningful game for a guy on his way out of the league. Toews, are you still beating that drum?
OT: JHS has had plenty of chances. If he gets one more and blows it, he will have to learn another language. No hatred, I am still rooting for the guy. To be on page two.
Lee's skating is an issue especially oñ the defensive end and is turnover prone.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
If he is an Islander and wears the crest...I will root for him. Not sure where you see "heart." Quitting on a team shows the opposite

More than one way to quantify that.

I’d still call acts of growth and perseverance against a wall of naysayers within the range of having heart. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
He is one of the guys Trotz uses near the end of the game, when we are in our zone. Another lonely opinion.
Lee is good in our end at clearing guys away from the slot and keeping them off to the outside.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
If he is an Islander and wears the crest...I will root for him. Not sure where you see "heart." Quitting on a team shows the opposite
It's obvious the Islanders still see something in him or else they wouldn't have retained him.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Its obvious that Lou is trying to get something for him rather than let him walk
How much could Lou get in return?
A seventh rd pick?
If Lou was so concerned about draft picks he could have acquired some at the deadline. Or signed several cheap veteran players to one year deals and use as trade bait.
Keeping Brassard showed me Lou isnt all that interested in late round draft picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad