Josh Hennessey impressions please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-SHARKIE

This is for anyone that has seen Josh Hennessey, specifically, this past season.

Sharks writer Kevin Wey sees 2nd line Center upside, do you think he has this upside?

I hear his shot is one of the best in the Q, truth to that? how is his playmaking?

Is his skating as good as advertised? ect.

I just want to know what to expect out of this guy.

Thanks.

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
This is for anyone that has seen Josh Hennessey, specifically, this past season.

Sharks writer Kevin Wey sees 2nd line Center upside, do you think he has this upside?

I hear his shot is one of the best in the Q, truth to that? how is his playmaking?

Is his skating as good as advertised? ect.

I just want to know what to expect out of this guy.

Thanks.

It has been an hard season for Josh. It's very difficult to predict his upside because he adapted very well to the caliber of the Q league at 16 but he have'nt showed much progress in 4 years.

He's very fast. Maybe one of the best skater in the league. His shot is very good but not among the best. Guys like Radulov, Roussin, Pouliot, Picard, Boisclair have a better shot than him.

I do not have great hope for him as an offensive force in the NHL. He is not very strong and not dominant enough with his skills. The fact that he has not being able to adapt to Radulov increase my concerns.

If he really work hard he could become a verstatile 3rd liner that can replace an injuried players on a top line or on the powerplay. Think Todd Marchant or Andrew Cassels (if everything goes right.)

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Beatnik said:
It has been an hard season for Josh. It's very difficult to predict his upside because he adapted very well to the caliber of the Q league at 16 but he have'nt showed much progress in 4 years.

He's very fast. Maybe one of the best skater in the league. His shot is very good but not among the best. Guys like Radulov, Roussin, Pouliot, Picard, Boisclair have a better shot than him.

I do not have great hope for him as an offensive force in the NHL. He is not very strong and not dominant enough with his skills. The fact that he has not being able to adapt to Radulov increase my concerns.

If he really work hard he could become a verstatile 3rd liner that can replace an injuried players on a top line or on the powerplay. Think Todd Marchant or Andrew Cassels (if everything goes right.)

That being said, he was 9th in the Q in scoring this year, and has shown a steady increase in points production over the course of his time with Quebec. I think you've pegged his potential about right, although IMO, San Jose envisions him as more of a 2nd liner, who makes use of his tremendous speed and shot. If anything, he'll have to get considerably stronger to make it in the NHL. There's a few things troubling about him though, including his failure to make the U.S. WJC team this year and last as well as the lockeroom issues that divided the Remparts this season.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
From the games I saw this year he impressed me with his skating and his shot was also pretty good but not the best like said above. One thing he has is alot of speed so that might help him make it. I think he could become a great third liner with the potential to play on the second line in case of injuries.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Beatnik said:
Guys like Radulov, Roussin, Pouliot, Picard, Boisclair have a better shot than him.
Boisclair doesn't belong in that group.His skating is pretty poor to advance.
He's still undrafted and I can't see him going early in next draft although
someone may use a late pick on him.
Imo Hennessey's career to date is similar to Steve Bernier's.Both have failed
to live up to expectations after having a great start in the Q.However
I would also say of the 2 that there are games when you see them and think
they have all the skills required,yet they don't seem to put it all together on
a consistent basis.

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
pei fan said:
Boisclair doesn't belong in that group.His skating is pretty poor to advance.
He's still undrafted and I can't see him going early in next draft although
someone may use a late pick on him.
a consistent basis.

I was only talking about their shot not their chance to make it to the NHL.

Bernier had been holding back in Moncton in a very defensive system while Hennessy's job has always been to produce offense, playing the whole PP and always with the best wingers.

One thing that does'nt worry me is Josh's attitude. It's impossible for a 19 years old hockey players to never go out in Québec city. When almost the whole team miss a "couvre-feu" it's normal that the Captain is the one punished but that does'nt make him a headcase. He is serious and work hard.

FREE DENTAL CARE

Mar 20, 2004
JH -- is it Josh or Joshua?

Check out how the team did in 2003-2004 after he was injured. They became a better team WITHOUT his "leadership". With the exception of the Memorial Cup year, he has skated with almost every forward on the team(s). I think its safe to say that there wasn't anyone good enough for him to skate with, or at least that's the attitude he showed. If he has the great skating ability, vision of the ice, big shot and scoring touch that everyone talks about, let's see it. Hockey is a game of "put up or shut up", and it's time for JH to PUT UP. Further, as far as the comment (above) about "after hours" expertise, well, JH is, hands down, the team's leader here. Oh, and by the way, almost everyone did NOT miss the curfew that led to his losing the "C" for a couple of games. He earned this on his own. He hasn't been the team's true leader for some time now. The Remparts look to Courcelles, LaVallee, and Vlasic for leadership. The team will be much stronger this year if JH is in Cleveland of up with San Jose. Let's hope.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
pei fan said:
a consistent basis.

In no way should you consider Bernier to have failed to live up to expectations. He has done everything that has been asked of him. He was told after his first year he was fat and uni-dimensional. So he got into shape and began to develop the other side of his game. He's increased his physicality, and he was clearly a leader with the Wildcats. Don't be fooled by him not scoring 150 pts any year, he was not playing within a system which was condusive to those sort of numbers.

GoSSCHgo

Apr 3, 2005
I think Beatnik's original post on this nailed it. Josh has been a disappointment to Quebec in recent years, even though he's a PR man's dream (learned to speak fluent French, a huge plus in that unilingual market).

But on the ice, he slipped in his last two seasons; nothing huge, but these are supposed to be bust-out seasons for Major Junior veterans, and indications if they are going to the E, the A or the Show. Right now, I'm betting the E.

He's one guy I'll root for, though.

Bouchard

Jul 10, 2004
Cole Harbour, NS
I've seen him play in the Quebec League, he puts up a lot of points, but never seemed to stand out to me. I can't really see him as an NHL player, may develop at a semi-pro level though. I doubt he could adapt to a much more physical game he would see in say the NHL or AHL.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Bouchard said:
I've seen him play in the Quebec League, he puts up a lot of points, but never seemed to stand out to me. I can't really see him as an NHL player, may develop at a semi-pro level though. I doubt he could adapt to a much more physical game he would see in say the NHL or AHL.

Something tells me San Jose thinks otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad