Josh Gorges had microfracture surgery (and why that's a really bad sign)

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
They said his return is about 6 months after that type of surgery, but I just wanted to provide some context about that type of surgery, and other athletes that have had it. Here are some quotes:

One doctor estimates that there is a return-to-sport rate of only about 40 percent with microfracture, and a study published last year in the Orthopedic Journal of Sports showed that NBA players show significantly reduced production after the surgery.

Players that have had it include:

Andrew Bogut, Anfernee Hardaway, Jason Kidd, Greg Oden, Allan Houston, Kenyon Martin, Tracy McGrady, Chris Webber, and Amar'e Stoudemire), MLB (Jeff Clement, Matt Kemp,[1] and Derek Holland)

However, there are some examples of it working, for players such as Dan Marino and Rod Woodson in the NFL. I tried researching of NHL players having microfracture surgery and coming back, but I only found articles about players having microfracture hip surgery, and a couple examples of goalies having it.

I wish Gorges the best, and hope he's great for us in years to come, but that's a really scary surgery where the bounce back rate isn't very high.

BakedBuffalo

**** run 4 Chychrun
Oct 29, 2014
Buffalo, NY
That's unfortunate for him. But as for the impact on the team? I don't give two *****. He sucked fat **** this year and looks like he's pretty much done. Best of luck to him though.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
microfracture surgery is what exactly?

From Google:

Microfracture surgery is an articular cartilage repair surgical technique that works by creating tiny fractures in the underlying bone. This causes new cartilage to develop from a so-called super-clot.

Basically breaking the bone in a bunch of places then hoping the new cartilage comes in and replaces/strengthens the old knee cartilage.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Yeah, that's bad. Even if things went extremely well for him, he still wouldn't start skating again until probably mid-August, and that's a large if given the type of injury. They may need to look for a replacement this off-season.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
If Gorges isn't ready until November, sounds like a great time for McCabe to get some playing time. If Gorges is way off during camp, then it's time to talk about a signing (besides the current need for a 1st pair LHD).

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Yeah, that's bad. Even if things went extremely well for him, he still wouldn't start skating again until probably mid-August, and that's a large if given the type of injury. They may need to look for a replacement this off-season.
They had to even if he was ready to go. I think he really showed this season he probably isn't cut out for any top pairing duties in the future.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I would say it probably means less for Josh Gorges the stay-at-home hockey defenseman than it did to someone like the super-explosive Amare. It should also be noted that Amare played plenty of good basketball after that surgery, but he had a vast array of injury issues that further derailed him. Penny Hardaway was far more set back by that injury imo. At the time he was one of the best, most athletic guards in the game and he was never close to the same after.

The good and bad news here is that Gorges was already on the decline anyhow. Bad because it will accelerate that decline, but I was already thinking of him as a guy sliding down the depth chart for the rest of his Sabres career. Hopefully he can bounce back strong considering there's still a healthy amount of term left on his contract, but we're probably looking at another Craig Rivet situation.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Ouch. There goes the last of TM's rebuild veteran "leaders".

Moulson to the dogs (though will get to rid on top 6 coat-tails again next season and hopefully perform the entire year this time).

Gionta to old age (though should be a serviceable 3rd liner for another season before getting dumped even further down the lineup).

Gorges to the infirmary (though hopefully he can come back as 3rd pairing and lend his leadership qualities to mentoring).

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
They had to even if he was ready to go. I think he really showed this season he probably isn't cut out for any top pairing duties in the future.

I wasn't planning on him having top pairing duties even if he was 100% healthy.

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
I would say it probably means less for Josh Gorges the stay-at-home hockey defenseman than it did to someone like the super-explosive Amare. It should also be noted that Amare played plenty of good basketball after that surgery, but he had a vast array of injury issues that further derailed him. Penny Hardaway was far more set back by that injury imo. At the time he was one of the best, most athletic guards in the game and he was never close to the same after.

The good and bad news here is that Gorges was already on the decline anyhow. Bad because it will accelerate that decline, but I was already thinking of him as a guy sliding down the depth chart for the rest of his Sabres career. Hopefully he can bounce back strong considering there's still a healthy amount of term left on his contract, but we're probably looking at another Craig Rivet situation.

AFAIK the deal with Amare was that the surgery worked fine and restored him for a couple of years. But then the artificial cartilage wore down as well and he was right back where he started or worse. Microfracture has the reputation that it does mainly because it is only brought out as the last resort against chronic and debilitating joint degradation.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Can someone refresh me on how he would affect the cap if he were out for his career?

Will he go on LTIR and how will his salary be accounted for?

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Can someone refresh me on how he would affect the cap if he were out for his career?

Pretty sure if he's on LTIR it doesn't count toward the cap, or at least there is substantial cap relief.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Players on LITR do not count against the cap, but you can't place players on LITR until the season starts, so on larger contracts you'd still have to work around it some in the off-season. Gorges' contract is only worth between 5-6% of the current salary cap, so that won't be an issue should he not be able to continue playing.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
There's another Josh Gorges. He's even on our roster, under contract.

His name is Mike Weber, the Unsung Hero.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
Players seem to lose their explosiveness with this injury. Gorges wasn't very explosive to start. I think he'll be fine.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013

If you try to find some positive from this, it's that Gorges most likely played the whole season with a damaged knee, so if the surgery is successful, the knee might be even a better one. At least that is something to wish for. :laugh:

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago
The problem is that we're trying to compare basketball players to a hockey player there doesn't seem to be any comps.
Basketball obviously being more stressful and jarring on knee tendons particularly in terms of jumping and landing...
However this does sound pretty awful. Most nba guys only undergo this procedure as a last resort to try and stave off retirement...

N.Y. Orangeman

Mar 15, 2002
myspace.com
The technique has gotten better since the days of Penny. When you add in the biologics like PRP, there is a better chance than ever of achieving a good result. It isn't a panacea, but it can get him a few more years. I am more optimistic than most.

The other angle I would be interested in is how it affects hockey players as opposed to other athletes. I would imagine the impact on a basketball player would be much different given the required movements (i.e., jumping) and the stiffness of the fibrocartilage that is formed.

Caveat-not a doctor and don't know the entire situation.

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
That's unfortunate for him. But as for the impact on the team? I don't give two *****. He sucked fat **** this year and looks like he's pretty much done. Best of luck to him though.
Gee.. Do ya think maybe the fact that he needed the surgery in the first place could mean he wasn't playing at full capacity while "he sucked fat **** this year" ??

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
The technique has gotten better since the days of Penny. When you add in the biologics like PRP, there is a better chance than ever of achieving a good result. It isn't a panacea, but it can get him a few more years. I am more optimistic than most.

The other angle I would be interested in is how it affects hockey players as opposed to other athletes. I would imagine the impact on a basketball player would be much different given the required movements (i.e., jumping) and the stiffness of the fibrocartilage that is formed.

Caveat-not a doctor and don't know the entire situation.

I agree that the impacts on an NBA player are more than an NHL player, but what's concerning is the re-injury rate and production afterwards. I still think Gorges ends up having a role on this team, probably on the 3rd pairing. Just don't expect a full bounce back from him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad