Prospect Info: Josh Brook Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I haven't watched much AHL this year but Im sure he still plays the same way we hated on him in the past two years. You don't just shake this off.

no not all. I've seen every game and he looks night and day. Right now you can just see he's got tons of confidence going with the puck and in the offensive zone. Still not seeing a lot of the rushes up ice but last year he looked nothing like he did in juniors. In his 60 games I could likely count on one hand how many times he rushed the puck up ice. Early in the season he looked so lost defensively and was doing nothing in the offensive zone. His confidence was shot. As the season went on he really improved his defensive game from brutal to solid and the offense clearly picked up but not that much.

This year he's still had some issues defensively, he's gotten walked a couple times and his TOI is not where you want it to be as he should be on the top pairing imo and top PP unit. He barely gets PP time yet he's one of the top scorers on the team. Lately they have started to give him 2nd PP time but split with Fleury. So Fleury usually gets time on the 1st penalty on the 2nd unit, then the next penalty Brook is out on the 2nd unit in place of Fleury.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
no not all. I've seen every game and he looks night and day. Right now you can just see he's got tons of confidence going with the puck and in the offensive zone. Still not seeing a lot of the rushes up ice but last year he looked nothing like he did in juniors. In his 60 games I could likely count on one hand how many times he rushed the puck up ice. Early in the season he looked so lost defensively and was doing nothing in the offensive zone. His confidence was shot. As the season went on he really improved his defensive game from brutal to solid and the offense clearly picked up but not that much.

This year he's still had some issues defensively, he's gotten walked a couple times and his TOI is not where you want it to be as he should be on the top pairing imo and top PP unit. He barely gets PP time yet he's one of the top scorers on the team. Lately they have started to give him 2nd PP time but split with Fleury. So Fleury usually gets time on the 1st penalty on the 2nd unit, then the next penalty Brook is out on the 2nd unit in place of Fleury.
I was talking about Ylonen there!

Reactions: montreal

Saku K

AKA Saku K.
Jul 28, 2002
3-Rivières, Québec
Visit site
Josh Brook has improved leaps and bounds this year. I was a bit disappointed after his first season and kinda feel down the hype train. I hope he gets some powerplay time down the road, he would easily be among laval's top scorers if it was the case. I wouldn't mind seeing Fleury off the powerplay as I feel Cale will never play that role at the NHL level and Brook could end up doing a decent job on a second wave one day. Fleury should end up as a decent depth physical defenseman with some PK time while I see Brook is obviously having better offensive upside/tools.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He's not there yet, but you can see a big jump in improvement and confidence. He still needs to add mass and strength, especially lower body. He has some issues defensively. He's been so much better offensively but still can do more as that's what's so impressive, he's on pace for 46 pts over a full season and while the on pace for can be very misleading in a small sample size, in 40 less games he's got 1 more assist and 1 less pt. But what's so impressive is that he's barely getting any PP time, which is kind of odd as he's a regular on the PK but not the PP.

He does get some time on the 2nd PP but if they tracked TOI, I bet his PP TOI would be very low for what is likely the most offensively skilled blueliner on the team. I'm hoping next season is a full season for the AHL and that Brook really breaks out to the point they have to move him up, as long as he has another good off-season.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Why don’t they play Brook on the power play?

they started to rotate him and Fleury on the 2nd PP unit, Fleury would get time on 1st penalty called on the 2nd unit, then Brook would be on the 2nd unit on the next penalty in Fleury's place. I thought it was kind of odd that their 2nd leading pts producer couldn't get 1st PP time or at the very least a regular spot on the PP but it's an odd season.

Does he have a shot?

his shot is good but not heavy or big, he's not much of a wind up and blast it, he's more like Norlinder in that he uses his wrist shot, just not as good as his game is much more of a playmaker.

Reactions: Gael

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Wait, I haven't watched the Rocket at all this year, well, here and there. Whats the reason for him not being on the PP ? Thats actually inexcusable for a guy like him.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Wait, I haven't watched the Rocket at all this year, well, here and there. Whats the reason for him not being on the PP ? Thats actually inexcusable for a guy like him.

There's some questionable usage decisions that Bouchard is making but I can't argue with the overall results.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Fleury is a depth guy at the next level.. Brook actually has legitimate potential with his skating, puck handling/movement, and passing.
Agreee. Fleury is limited. He brings some size, physicalitty, but overall. I can’t see him more than a 6/7th dman

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Agreee. Fleury is limited. He brings some size, physicalitty, but overall. I can’t see him more than a 6/7th dman
Disagree with that, there's clear top 4 upside with Fleury, especially if you consider Edmundson and Chiarot have been top 4 for the Habs this year, lol.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Disagree with that, there's clear top 4 upside with Fleury, especially if you consider Edmundson and Chiarot have been top 4 for the Habs this year, lol.
Im tAking Edmundson and chiarot way before Fleury to play top 4. Edmundson and chiarot are bigger/ stronger and more physical than Fleury. There is no question about it

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Im tAking Edmundson and chiarot way before Fleury to play top 4. Edmundson and chiarot are bigger/ stronger and more physical than Fleury. There is no question about it

As of right now, sure, but in 3-4 years Im going to say he's gonna be quite similar to them and has a good chance at outproducing them.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

who knows as they don't say, with Bouchard there must be a good reason and he's got all the prospects playing well. Though there have been some decisions I don't understand or agree with. I don't know how Brook isn't on the top PP all season, I don't get how Hillis never plays and when he does he barely sees the ice. RHP has been gifted the top line and PP all season long, granted he's earned it to a degree as he is a hard worker and he has produced well with 8 pts in the last 9 but has just 2 goals in the last 18 games.

But even with the injuries they are one of the best teams in the AHL and are developing the prospects, Lefebvre couldn't do either so clearly a big step in the right direction.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
I just checked on the AHL site and Brook is 2nd in the AHL in even strength points (behind Connor Mackey who has 14) with 12 in 22 games

If we assume he plays 16-20 even strength minute per game as one of the teams most played dman (maybe I'm wrong and he plays less), it translates to 1.63 to 2.05 P/60 which is very, very good

Different leagues and all, but the top defencemen in P/60 in NHL at the moment are John Carlson and Shea Theodore with 1.77 and 1.76. (Filters are: >15 minutes TOI/game and >20 games played)

This may not seem like it when looking at total points, but Brook is an elite play driver in the AHL at the moment

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Does he have a shot?

I don't pay much attention to the farm at all, but I do recall from his western hockey league days that he prefers the wrist shot.

Actually, I'm not sure how many young dmen coming into the league actually come with booming slapshot anymore. It seems to be a dying breed, but it could just be my perception.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->