Player Discussion: Josh Bailey

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Lou looked at the players he inherited, their contract situation and decided what this team was. He added a couple of 3rd line muckers, a goalie with a heart and promise and let Trotz go to work Even he admits that they are playing much better than he imagined.
This isn’t the end all be all. Changes will come Just need to be patient and enjoy what we have here.

Reactions: dood

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
His lack of production is directly linked to being put on the third line due to injuries. He's getting less minutes and playing with Filppula and Kuhnhackl, did you really expect him to continue production there?

Taken from the other GDT: Up until this current stretch Bailey hadn't gone more than two games without getting a point all season. Don't you think it might be connected to playing on the third line in a different role with less minutes? From February 1 until March 5, when this current streak started, Bailey was tied for the team lead with points in 13 of 17 games. The only other forward in double digits was Nelson, and that's who he was tied with.

. Why do you think he was put on the 3rd line ? Maybe because the last dozen games he has earned it and this ain't Cappys Islanders anymore . For a former 70 point player he sure looks more like that 28 point player from years gone by. Enough with the " he's the defense guy on that line" . There are games you don't even know he is playing . That's only good for a lineman in football . His linemates even on the 3rd line are noticed when they are on the ice . He needs to wake the f up and help this team . It's ok to play like a man and not a flag hockey player. Right? He is such a passenger he should buy 2 seats. Time to change that before the playoffs . Just do something even if it's a one time deal. I want to say " nice play Josh " or "great shot" or anything besides
" is Bailey scratched today " . For a guy with ,I don't know , 700 games he sure looks lost. No he's not our worst but Josh Bailey should be one of our go to guys and he is not. Let's not go back to the days of Josh Barely he has shown he is better than that.

LGI

Reactions: CBG

CBG

Jan 7, 2018
. Why do you think he was put on the 3rd line ? Maybe because the last dozen games he has earned it and this ain't Cappys Islanders anymore . For a former 70 point player he sure looks more like that 28 point player from years gone by. Enough with the " he's the defense guy on that line" . There are games you don't even know he is playing . That's only good for a lineman in football . His linemates even on the 3rd line are noticed when they are on the ice . He needs to wake the f up and help this team . It's ok to play like a man and not a flag hockey player. Right? He is such a passenger he should buy 2 seats. Time to change that before the playoffs . Just do something even if it's a one time deal. I want to say " nice play Josh " or "great shot" or anything besides
" is Bailey scratched today " . For a guy with ,I don't know , 700 games he sure looks lost. No he's not our worst but Josh Bailey should be one of our go to guys and he is not. Let's not go back to the days of Josh Barely he has shown he is better than that.

LGI
The Problem with guys like Bailey is just because the team does not have a lot of talent people assume that some of these guys are actually better than they really are . Bailey IMO is an average player and he belongs on the 3rd line , I have debated friends about him for a while now. I feel similarly about Nelson just because we have talent and depth issues he is forced to be our 2nd line center.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

LGI

I already said why he was moved to the third line. Injuries and a roster shakeup to help create more offense up and down the lineup.

Here are these imaginary stretches where he didn't do anything. Let's look at his last dozen games, because I haven't provided enough numbers already. The past six games he's on the third line, with a significant decrease in minutes and talent, he's produced nothing offensively. The six before that? 5 points in 6 games. Let's go back six more, 6 points in 6 games. So the twelve games before the shakeup he had 11 points in 12 games. Damn, this dude was really struggling before being demoted! Is this the part where you tell me it's secondary assists and he didn't really do anything, plus, I should watch the games because he sucks?

Sorry that him being the defensive player on that line bothers you or anybody else. It's obviously the truth and why Trotz was so reluctant to pull him off that line, despite the fact that we know Bailey works better with Nelson and Lee offensively, and Eberle works better with Barzal offensively. Not sure how it's even debatable. Though a flawed stat, the team only has three regulars who are minus players: Eberle (-9), Barzal (-8), and Beauvillier (-1). Considering Beauvillier and Barzal were together for a big chunk of the season, it's pretty clear Trotz wants someone who can provide some defensive awareness to the line.

Bailey isn't an offensive force. He's not going to drive a line or make those players around him better offensively. He, like most of our offensive weapons, is a complimentary piece that needs to be put in the proper situation. He's our second leading scorer and gets shit on with regularity on here because he isn't "noticeable." Three straight seasons of 50+ points, but he gets more shit than anybody. It's baffling.

Barzal slumps, it's because he's with the wrong wingers and they aren't as talented as him.
Lee slumps, it's because he's not with a play maker.
Bailey slumps, it's because he sucks.

I'll repeat this too, I have no problem with Bailey playing on the third line. The expectations about what he should be producing needs to change when he's changing roles though. And with that, I'm out, until next time. :laugh::help:;)

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Funny that I was saying quietly that Bailey need to have a big game in the 3rd period after that 5 on 3 and he came through. I think he is due and this should help him. Hope he can keep going because when he doses Isles wins. Same goes with Lee, Barzal and Nelson. Down the stretch you need your best players to chip in not just in effort but in results. The shooting mentality helps. I watched Tampa game against Caps and note that team has a shooting mentality and that is why they dominate plays most of time. You scare your opposition when scoring is on your mind and that is how you put them back on their heels. That does not mean that you ease off when the puck go in the opposing direction. If you skate hard and use the stick checks properly and cover your man and do all the little things required by BT system you can defend your lead.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
I already said why he was moved to the third line. Injuries and a roster shakeup to help create more offense up and down the lineup.

Here are these imaginary stretches where he didn't do anything. Let's look at his last dozen games, because I haven't provided enough numbers already. The past six games he's on the third line, with a significant decrease in minutes and talent, he's produced nothing offensively. The six before that? 5 points in 6 games. Let's go back six more, 6 points in 6 games. So the twelve games before the shakeup he had 11 points in 12 games. Damn, this dude was really struggling before being demoted! Is this the part where you tell me it's secondary assists and he didn't really do anything, plus, I should watch the games because he sucks?

Sorry that him being the defensive player on that line bothers you or anybody else. It's obviously the truth and why Trotz was so reluctant to pull him off that line, despite the fact that we know Bailey works better with Nelson and Lee offensively, and Eberle works better with Barzal offensively. Not sure how it's even debatable. Though a flawed stat, the team only has three regulars who are minus players: Eberle (-9), Barzal (-8), and Beauvillier (-1). Considering Beauvillier and Barzal were together for a big chunk of the season, it's pretty clear Trotz wants someone who can provide some defensive awareness to the line.

Bailey isn't an offensive force. He's not going to drive a line or make those players around him better offensively. He, like most of our offensive weapons, is a complimentary piece that needs to be put in the proper situation. He's our second leading scorer and gets **** on with regularity on here because he isn't "noticeable." Three straight seasons of 50+ points, but he gets more **** than anybody. It's baffling.

Barzal slumps, it's because he's with the wrong wingers and they aren't as talented as him.

I'll repeat this too, I have no problem with Bailey playing on the third line. The expectations about what he should be producing needs to change when he's changing roles though. And with that, I'm out, until next time. :laugh::help:;)
agreed with everything, and i think we have to stop putting so much emphasis on what 'line' # he is on. Bailey played 18:32 today, which shows his value. and yes, Trotz will sit him or anyone who is having a bad game (which happens to the best of them). players aren't robots, nor do the progress or regress in a linear fashion. they all need to be constantly managed, and i think Barry is doing a great job!

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
agreed with everything, and i think we have to stop putting so much emphasis on what 'line' # he is on. Bailey played 18:32 today, which shows his value. and yes, Trotz will sit him or anyone who is having a bad game (which happens to the best of them). players aren't robots, nor do the progress or regress in a linear fashion. they all need to be constantly managed, and i think Barry is doing a great job!

He's been bumped back up into the top 6 and he received 5 minutes of PP time today, the most on the team. I'm assuming because Barzal was stapled to the bench for most of it.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
He's been bumped back up into the top 6 and he received 5 minutes of PP time today, the most on the team. I'm assuming because Barzal was stapled to the bench for most of it.
Didn’t really help the pp. pp is a lost cause though as whatever they try nothing works. At least he finally showed up and produced.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Most annoying thing about Bailey?

He not only doesn't shoot enough...But he doesn't shoot when almost any other NHL player would and should.

So today he shoots, and look what happens.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Bailey isn't an offensive force. He's not going to drive a line or make those players around him better offensively. He, like most of our offensive weapons, is a complimentary piece that needs to be put in the proper situation. He's our second leading scorer and gets **** on with regularity on here because he isn't "noticeable." Three straight seasons of 50+ points, but he gets more **** than anybody. It's baffling.

Oh Clarice! No no no!!! We were doing so well!!! You had been courteous and receptive to courtesy. You had established trust, with the embarrassing truth about Bailey...

I was with you for the first several sentences there ---showing so much promise, and I thought for sure you were in the clear!

Its not the noticeable part which riles up the hate -- hell -- most players are un-noticeable most games unless you are the top 10% of the league.

The guy checks out, and has hockey brain farts most of the time. That is a Bones' algorithm which is tried and true. That open net where he neither got a SOG or held the puck..or got pass off -- it was just a controller disconnect. It's the WTF Bailey moment of the game. And its consistent. And don't just look for posts from me about those moments,,, many people post about them. I just laugh when I see them. The guy has hockey turrets (or however you spell it) - like a guy who is working comfortably at his desk for 2 minutes and screams out :eek::eek::eek::eek: at the top of his lungs out of nowhere.

He's boring, he's serviceable, he's not horrible in his own zone, he is incredibly avg, and tends to f*** up at least one massive play per game.

I give you Josh Bailey.

<Side note: I think your "complimentary piece" sentence is spot on.>

Now you get it!

Reactions: Big L and MJF

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I don't see the issue with Bailey. He is a middle six forward who can play the defensive side of the game when we need it, but also jump up in the top six when injuries occur. If Bailey were to just disappear off of the roster the Islanders would have a fairly large sized hole to fill.

The last three seasons he has scored at a better rate than Duchene has over the course of his entire career. Am I saying he is better than Duchene? Obviously not, but if the player in the doghouse is a potential 60 point player this season who played on the third line for quite a few games I'd say we are doing pretty good.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I don't see the issue with Bailey. He is a middle six forward who can play the defensive side of the game when we need it, but also jump up in the top six when injuries occur. If Bailey were to just disappear off of the roster the Islanders would have a fairly large sized hole to fill.

The last three seasons he has scored at a better rate than Duchene has over the course of his entire career. Am I saying he is better than Duchene? Obviously not, but if the player in the doghouse is a potential 60 point player this season who played on the third line for quite a few games I'd say we are doing pretty good.

When Kvasha left, didnt we need someone to fill the whipping boy spot?

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
When Kvasha left, didnt we need someone to fill the whipping boy spot?

That's fair enough, but not even Kvasha had a song dedicated to how bad he sucks (which I sing every chance I get). At the end of the day when Bailey is not on the Islanders anymore he is going to get a roaring tribute song larger than any Billy Joel sellout ever did.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
That's fair enough, but not even Kvasha had a song dedicated to how bad he sucks (which I sing every chance I get). At the end of the day when Bailey is not on the Islanders anymore he is going to get a roaring tribute song larger than any Billy Joel sellout ever did.

..... Bailey sucks, do do do da do do, Bailey sucks, do do do do da do do......

24diving

Apr 5, 2013
suffolk, long island
What I don’t get, is that nearly everyone says he is a useful but average player, yet he gets more vitriol and hatred towards him than guys that aren’t nearly as useful or even average. Why not yell and get upset about guys who actually suck? Don’t wanna be a fan of his, fine I get it, but the team would be worse if he disappeared tomorrow.

Now Sbisa,hickey, Komarov, seidenberg, Ladd.... sure, tell me about their suckage

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
The guy checks out, and has hockey brain farts most of the time. That is a Bones' algorithm which is tried and true. That open net where he neither got a SOG or held the puck..or got pass off -- it was just a controller disconnect. It's the WTF Bailey moment of the game. And its consistent. And don't just look for posts from me about those moments,,, many people post about them. I just laugh when I see them. The guy has hockey turrets (or however you spell it) - like a guy who is working comfortably at his desk for 2 minutes and screams out **** at the top of his lungs out of nowhere.

He's boring, he's serviceable, he's not horrible in his own zone, he is incredibly avg, and tends to **** up at least one massive play per game.

I give you Josh Bailey.
If Bailey could cut out even half his hockey Tourette’s, he’d be a superstar on this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad