Confirmed with Link: Josh Archibald Signs 2 Year Extension (2 Years, 1.5M Per)

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
A tad much for a 4th liner imo, but I do the love the way he plays and has improved the PK. As long as they find a 3RWwho can score a little more than him than I’m more than fine with it.

1.5 too much for a 4th liner who has 12 goals? I think that would be about what would be expected.

We finally have bottom 6 players that can actually play the game at the NHL and you do need to pay for that.

How often over the past 5 years have we complained about the fact our bottom 6 were all ahlers who were on league min?

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Sure better than paying Kassian 3.2 million for 9 minutes of uninspired hockey a night.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
1.5 too much for a 4th liner who has 12 goals? I think that would be about what would be expected.

We finally have bottom 6 players that can actually play the game at the NHL and you do need to pay for that.

How often over the past 5 years have we complained about the fact our bottom 6 were all ahlers who were on league min?
He does only have 8 assists, and some of the those goals were empty nets and obviously some McPoints in there which is a little deceiving.

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009
So this is what it feels like to have a real GM.

Good enough deal. I don't hate it and I like having the Archibald Option up and down the lineup.

rickysusedsht

Feb 25, 2015
Home of your Prince Albert Raiders
original-grid-image-21646-1487276522-1.jpg
sweet archie, cash them checks bud

Reactions: pratt

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Pretty good deal I think. The guy plays hard, I dont see this one coming back to haunt us.

Should set Sheahan up for a bit less. Archibald is a better and more versatile player.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Also it seems like the good teams are using ELC guys on the third line anyways. 4th like for energy and tough minutes. 3rd for easing prospects into the league

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
One of these players is a third line winger who can and probably should score between 10-15 goals every year. He's quick, he can play up the roster. He's a good find.

The other is a dime a dozen 4th line centre who isn't actually that good at faceoffs, nor is he that special defensively, but because he's now associated with Archibald - is a risk to sign an inflated deal.

A smart GM signs this deal for Archibald and then low-balls Sheahan. You can replace everything he does for less a million dollars every year in free agency. That's why he was there to sign in September.

or you know, extend Haas (who would take significantly less money) and use the money to sign a real 3C. :dunno:

Blank-McDavid-Kassian
Nuge-Drai-Yam
AA-Blank-Chaisson/Benson
Nygard-Haas-Archibald

I think if the cap goes higher than $84M into 86-88 territory we could easily fill the blanks and re-sign those who need to be re-signed.

Last edited:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Good with keeping Archibald. I think if we had a good 3C he would score more still. Which leads to my hope that we hold off extending Sheahan. Need to fill that 3C spot better this summer. Sheahan is a 4th line C at best on a good team and I actually prefer Haas a lot of the time at C in the bottom 6

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Good with keeping Archibald. I think if we had a good 3C he would score more still. Which leads to my hope that we hold off extending Sheahan. Need to fill that 3C spot better this summer. Sheahan is a 4th line C at best on a good team and I actually prefer Haas a lot of the time at C in the bottom 6
Sheahan is a lot like Benning for me. When playing at the bottom, against proper competition he is great. When he has to play higher his game plummets.

If we had a real 3c Sheahan would look a lot better

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Khaira is also signed for next year. If he looks better at center than LW down the stretch I could see a 4th line of Nygard Khaira Archibald. Khaira adds a bit more size/physicality which might be a good fit with a couple smaller wingers, even though Archibald plays a lot bigger than his size. 3C is what needs upgraded this offseason. Whether Khaira, Sheahan, or a cheap vet UFA is our 4C is small beans.

Reactions: Oilhawks

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
Not sure how anyone can complain about this. Perfect bottom six player who goes to the hard areas of the ice and gives it his all. Can also chip in goals and will only make 1.5 million...

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I see Nygard-Sheahan-Archibald as our 4th line next year. We need to sort out wingers for McDavid and a 3C and we’ll have a complete roster.

I see our roster like this next year:

Athanasiou-McDavid-Kassian
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Benson-3C-Neal
Ennis/Nygard/Chiasson/Khaira-Sheahan-Archibald

I think Benson is NHL-ready, at least for a bottom-6 role if not more. Which means there's a bit of a traffic jam in the bottom-6.

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
I like saying Archieeeeeeeee when he does things, so this is a good signing

He has gumption and versatility for a small guy, can't go wrong with that price tag either.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Good deal, can't go wrong with 1.5 when a guy at worst is an outstanding PKer and physical presence. He fills a role winning teams need.

Pretty good deal I think. The guy plays hard, I dont see this one coming back to haunt us.

Should set Sheahan up for a bit less. Archibald is a better and more versatile player.

Sheahan's a center and hasn't been used in a scoring role at all. If they can get Sheahan at the same rate that's another win in my books.

Reactions: Kaptah

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Good player. Good contract.

we've suffered through bad bottom sixers before. It's not as easy as it seems to get quality that fits

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Basically $1.5M is a top end UFA 4th liner at worst so he's in line with what one might expect given the season he had. It would have been nice to get it at say $1.25M but he does a lot for the team beyond generating points.

Well factor in the cap going up, and I really don't see 1.5M too much. If our PK was mid-range to low-range, I'd be concerned, but since we are #2 in the NHL, he's worth every penny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad