Joseph Taylor Compher | Player Discussion Thread

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
If only Winnik could catch or make a pass *sigh*

He actually cycles the puck really well. That's what made that line work so nicely is that they tied up the puck along the boards seemingly forever. They just couldn't get it away from the boards long enough to put it in.

I believe Winnik actually does put a lot of shots on net, it's just that his career shooting percentage is laughably, almost impossibly low. Dude scores about as much as I did in high school.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Did I really just read someone thinks JT is slow? :amazed:

Fastest player on the team for sure.

Also easily my favorite of the rookies this year easily. Kid is a stud in both ends of the ice and the offense will really start chugging along soon enough.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Did I really just read someone thinks JT is slow? :amazed:

Fastest player on the team for sure.

Also easily my favorite of the rookies this year easily. Kid is a stud in both ends of the ice and the offense will really start chugging along soon enough.

Um...I think MacKinnon is still more than a hair faster. Girard might be too. But he's definitely not slow.

Reactions: tigervixxxen

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Right now, I see him as our best bet for that 2C spot long term as long as he can amp up his scoring some more. It's probably just a young player consistency issue and will start to come soon. I want to see him given the 2C spot with some skilled players for a bit and actually used like a 2nd line.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Based on eye test it doesn't even look close. MacKinnon is downright explosive, Compher is fast but not on that level.

Like I said, it's close but IMO Compher is faster.

Mackinnon has not reached the speed JTC reached when he scored that short handed breakaway goal against Minnesota on Friday.

Mack has the faster first step but I think JTC has the higher top speed.

Regardless, both guys are lightning fast and easily the two fastest on the team though. JTC is most certainly not slow like was suggested earlier in the thread.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Hinote was the only other guy I can remember who was fast, yet had one of the sloppiest strides I've ever seen.

Conversely, I saw Ossi Vaananen live a couple times. Great looking stride, but it was astounding how little power he got from it, especially given his size and strength. When going full bore to get to a loose puck it was like his skates were forged from butter knives.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Hinote was the only other guy I can remember who was fast, yet had one of the sloppiest strides I've ever seen.

Conversely, I saw Ossi Vaananen live a couple times. Great looking stride, but it was astounding how little power he got from it, especially given his size and strength. When going full bore to get to a loose puck it was like his skates were forged from butter knives.

The slowest player I've ever seen was Jason Allison with the Leafs. It was like he was underwater :laugh:

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The slowest player I've ever seen was Jason Allison with the Leafs. It was like he was underwater :laugh:

Just think--back in the waning days of the Pat Quinn era they just loaded up on any veteran players not nailed down and had like six centers on the squad. Quinn actually tried a line of Ponikarovsky-Allison-Antropov. I can't even imagine being a defender waiting for that line to make their way up the ice. :lol:

Reactions: Cullen Bohannon

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Mack is the fastest player on this team no contest. JTC second fastest. I see the ROR comparisons but I dont know. I see more Mike Richards than ROR. Does JTC have the frame to add on some pounds? When you look back at ROR when he was 18 till now its pretty incredible. He was a pretty skinny kid at 18 and now hes a mini tank. ROR has the perfect hockey body kinda like Claude Lemieux did.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
One of my favourites on the team for sure and his shot and speed are two of the biggest developments for me. He couldn't skate like this when I first saw him play. He still has a ways to go but I think he's going to be a lot better than he was projected to be.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
He's not the slowest player I ever saw, but Kyle Wellwood always angered me for not being a faster skater.

It should be illegal for small players to not be fast skaters.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Like I said, it's close but IMO Compher is faster.

Mackinnon has not reached the speed JTC reached when he scored that short handed breakaway goal against Minnesota on Friday.

Mack has the faster first step but I think JTC has the higher top speed.

Regardless, both guys are lightning fast and easily the two fastest on the team though. JTC is most certainly not slow like was suggested earlier in the thread.
Mack is faster, not really close

Last edited:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I went to google the video of the SH goal and wrote "Joe Compher..." Damn you, Eddie.
200.gif

Reactions: Ararana

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Man you've had some weird takes on both him and Kerfoot. Not sure which team or players you've been watching. Compher may be a bit slow in terms of reaction, but not in terms of skating. He is indeed one of the faster skaters on the team, though I wouldn't rank him #2 behind MacKinnon (Girard IMO is the 2nd best skater on the team).

That said Jost sure damn well better be a better player. If he's not the Avs are in a bit of trouble.
I don't know, he doesn't look that fast to me. Since I seem to be alone with this opinion I'm probably wrong, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad