Joseph Taylor Compher | Player Discussion Thread

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Best skater on the team after Mackinnon IMO.
Beautiful snapper (I'm talking about his shot)
Shot blocking machine
And to top it off, a shit eating grin that you just know everyone wants to punch.

:heart:

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Who knew he'd unquestionably be the best piece in the ROR deal? Hell of a player, glad to have him.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think there’s still a question as to who the best player from that deal is. :laugh:

But he’s been solid, if unspectacular. I’m still wondering a bit about his defensive zone play and while he’s hit the net with a lotta shots, there isn’t that extra degree of finish needed to really be a scoring threat.

And that’s fine. It’s his first year in the NHL. His.development has gone well so far and so long as it continues to do so he will be a hell of a player.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Good ol' Joe. I get the same feeling about him as I did with early ROR. I'm not saying he'll become ROR, but O'Reilly was my favorite player for a while and I love Compher's game in the same way. Those guys are the modern version of the old time hockey big gritty Ontario boy player model.

mackinnon29

Nov 24, 2017
Still think we done good in that trade, JT had been great this year. Speed, pk, etc works hard and he's a guy you'd hate to play against the more he gets comfortable. Z has been good too still pretty young for a defenceman and those hits

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Best skater on the team after Mackinnon IMO.
Beautiful snapper (I'm talking about his shot)
Shot blocking machine
And to top it off, a **** eating grin that you just know everyone wants to punch.

:heart:
Is he really a good skater? I think he's kinda slow and that's his huge weakness (he would be so awesome if he could skate a little bit faster) but I'm definitely not an expert. I would bet a lot of money on Girard being a better skater, though. Anyway, I really like the guy and I adore the fact that he's wearing Factor's old number.

Edit: Jost will still be better.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Is he really a good skater? I think he's kinda slow and that's his huge weakness (he would be so awesome if he could skate a little bit faster) but I'm definitely not an expert. I would bet a lot of money on Girard being a better skater, though. Anyway, I really like the guy and I adore the fact that he's wearing Factor's old number.

What? How could you possibly think he's kinda slow? His wheels are absolutely fascinating.
If he could skate a little bit faster like you wish he'd probably be the closest thing to McDavid in the NHL in regards to speed.

Reactions: Foppberg

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com

Man you've had some weird takes on both him and Kerfoot. Not sure which team or players you've been watching. Compher may be a bit slow in terms of reaction, but not in terms of skating. He is indeed one of the faster skaters on the team, though I wouldn't rank him #2 behind MacKinnon (Girard IMO is the 2nd best skater on the team).

That said Jost sure damn well better be a better player. If he's not the Avs are in a bit of trouble.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think in 2-3 years' time JTC will be very close to ROR in terms of overall impact on the team and offensive production.

Hmmm...I don't think he'll ever be there. I feel like O'Reilly is an elite-level player, I don't think Compher will ever get there, or even close. I envision him as the player the Isles hoped Blake Comeau would become but never did. I see him as a good, but not great, player.

Maybe a comparable in terms of style and projection IMO would be another J.T., Miller in New York. Either that or a smaller, faster Brandon Dubinsky, hopefully without the litany of injury issues though.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
He's a monster on the PK. I just wish I'd see a bit more from him 5v5. His possession numbers aren't great there overall either. They need to tinker with giving him a good line that lets him use his strengths more.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I think in 2-3 years' time JTC will be very close to ROR in terms of overall impact on the team and offensive production.

Agreed, I don't think he'll get quite to RORs level defensively though.

If he can do that, and Z at the very least can become a #4, the trade will look good.

Especially if Greer can become an NHLer.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Hmmm...I don't think he'll ever be there. I feel like O'Reilly is an elite-level player, I don't think Compher will ever get there, or even close. I envision him as the player the Isles hoped Blake Comeau would become but never did. I see him as a good, but not great, player.

Maybe a comparable in terms of style and projection IMO would be another J.T., Miller in New York. Either that or a smaller, faster Brandon Dubinsky, hopefully without the litany of injury issues though.
Well, let's not forget the ROR from 2009-2012 was not the same ROR we see today. Compher has the speed, shot, and smarts to get there, but he needs to find consistency at the NHL level over the next couple of years.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Compher is 22. How was ROR at 22?

Well, ROR had developed in NHL for couple of seasons already then. When ROR was 22 he was in KHL and when he came back to NHL he had 20 point sin 29 games. A season before (being 20-21 years old) he had 55 points in 81 games.

Ryan O'Reilly

I like Compher A LOT. One of my favorite players. Great wheels, great shot. He has a lot of potential. Superb PK player. Shot blocking machine. Very important part of this team going forward. Can't see why he couldn't become a 50 point player.

Last edited:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
ROR had 26 points in each of his first two seasons before jumping up to 55 points during his 21-22 year old season.

Hence why I said 2-3 years for JTC. I don't expect him to be a 55-65 point player for us this season.

Reactions: Murzu

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
I get it, there's plenty of growth to be had in his game. In fact I'm counting on it. I'm just thinking about what he was projected as and just what I'm seeing on the ice. There's promise, but a lot more needs to happen before I'm willing to say he can even approach O'Reilly. If he does, then that changes the entire complexion of the trade. If he ends up being a good, complimentary forward who can be effective in all three zones then I still say it was a good trade (hopefully they'll also have Z working as a top-four guy as well).

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
IMHO expecting him to reach Radar's heights is setting yourself up for disappointment. Also keep in mind Radar was a bad skater when he entered the league, played in a checking role and was an 18 year old, that's why he scored so little in his two first seasons.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Hence why I said very close. ROR is a 55-60 point centre that is very good defensively and can be shifted from centre to wing seamlessly.

If Compher can become a 45-55 point forward that is good defensively and can be shifted from centre to wing seamlessly, I'll be happy. And I honestly think he can get to those point totals.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Breaking his hand obviously didn't help, but he is on pace for 30 points over 82 games. He will be 23 by the season's end. I like Compher, am glad he was part of the trade, but he has to produce a lot more offensively if he is going to be considered a top-6 forward.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
IMHO expecting him to reach Radar's heights is setting yourself up for disappointment. Also keep in mind Radar was a bad skater when he entered the league, played in a checking role and was an 18 year old, that's why he scored so little in his two first seasons.

He also spent a great deal of time centering a pure checking line in 2011-12 with then-rookie Gabe Landeskog and Daniel Winnik, who is fantastic defensively but of course can't score to save his life.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I miss that line, and I miss Winnik, Silent Jay and Landy closing out games for us. Winnik is honestly a guy whose game I really, really appreciate and like. One of my favourites really, too bad he wanted too much $.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
I miss that line, and I miss Winnik, Silent Jay and Landy closing out games for us. Winnik is honestly a guy whose game I really, really appreciate and like. One of my favourites really, too bad he wanted too much $.

I'll always maintain that the trade to get Winnik was one of the team's best (in exchange for a 4th rounder in 2012--they picked d-man Rhett Holland, who is currently playing in the Czech Republic) and the trade of Winnik for McGinn was also one of the team's best. However, doing nothing to replace the defense lost when Winnik left was a terrible mistake. The good news is that with guys like Toninato and, yes, Compher, the team is taking special care to focus on bringing in good two-way/defensive forwards. They thankfully recognized having virtually none on your team can lead to seasons like 2016-17.

I hope that College Line will be Kerfoot getting the puck and serving it up to Jost and Compher who'll both just rip shots non-stop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->