Prospect Info: Jorian Donovan - D - 136th overall - Hamilton - OHL

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
If we're gonna make nepotism moves I'm glad this is the quality we got instead of reaching down to Brad Peltz levels again

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
If we're gonna make nepotism moves I'm glad this is the quality we got instead of reaching down to Brad Peltz levels again
Apparently they asked Dono if he was ok with them picking him as well. Said he was in the range of their next pick and wanted to make sure it was ok with dad.

Kind of the opposite situation where they expressed interest first and then checked in with Dad.

Cool story :)

Reactions: Que and milkbag

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm always willing to bet on kid with good size that can skate. Giving him an ELC is a bit surprising but I'm not overly concerned.

Reactions: Cosmix

Snowwy

Jan 29, 2006
I'm always willing to bet on kid with good size that can skate. Giving him an ELC is a bit surprising but I'm not overly concerned.
I feel that same way. Is there any reason that getting a ELC now matters for what the team can do with Donovan? I think it makes a difference for a European player as they can play in the AHL instead of the CHL a year earlier, but is there any reason to do this now from a hockey perspective?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I feel that same way. Is there any reason that getting a ELC now matters for what the team can do with Donovan? I think it makes a difference for a European player as they can play in the AHL instead of the CHL a year earlier, but is there any reason to do this now from a hockey perspective?
A bit of bonus money to help him spend on health and focusing on hockey. If Donovan is all in for an NHL job why not support him, his Dad is a bit of a legend in this city. Probably a good bet to make if it pays off

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
A bit of bonus money to help him spend on health and focusing on hockey. If Donovan is all in for an NHL job why not support him, his Dad is a bit of a legend in this city. Probably a good bet to make if it pays off
Agreed I dont care if theres a bit of nepotism at play here. Dono is a super solid dude and nice guy. Good northern ontario lad and a true soldier. And hes almost like a part of the fabric of this generations Ottawa Senators franchise - just always there in the background doing his job well, and always with a big grin on his face.

And his son is a real NHL prospect with upside - and he basically grew up in and around the Senators locker room. Hes one of our own basically. Its kinda cool and hes got the genetics in him to be a great athlete. And Sean showed that you can still play almost 1000 games even if your not a skilled player.

Last edited:

Snowwy

Jan 29, 2006
There is a difference between nepotism & good blood lines in hockey. It was a good pick considering where they selected him. He could surprise or be trade fodder.
Totally agree with this, I don't think it is nepotism either, but the negative 'experts' of course do. I just don't understand the timing, like how is this better for the team? Didn't they do the same with someone last year? I can't remember the details. There must be a reason that they are doing it.

Reactions: The Expert

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Agreed I dont care if theres a bit of nepotism at play here. Dono is a super solid dude and nice guy. Good northern ontario lad and a true soldier. And hes almost like a part of the fabric of this generations Ottawa Senators franchise - just always there in the background doing his job well, and always with a big grin on his face.

And his son is a real NHL prospect with upside - and he basically grew up in and around the Senators locker room. Hes one of our own basically. Its kinda cool and hes got the genetics in him to be a great athlete. And Sean showed that you can still play almost 1000 games even if your not a skilled player.
Sean Donovan was a great fast skater with limited offensive skills; basically a 4th liner. I liked him when he played for the Senators.

Reactions: Snowwy

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
They always seem to pick a few guys who they think are promising and who deserve the added motivation.

Who was it last year? Ostapchuk? Can’t remember

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Sean Donovan was a great fast skater with limited offensive skills; basically a 4th liner. I liked him when he played for the Senators.

He played almost 1000 games so whatever he was, he knew how to be a valuable member for his team.

These are the types guys you want around your organization - like a development role. It's a perfect role for a guy like Donovan and we're lucky to have him. The Sens are great at developing their players and this guy has been a big part of it.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
If Jorian can focus on being a solid defensive presence who can also throw some weight around and clear the front of the net, he could make a niche for himself as a pro. Doesn't have to be fancy (although being able to make a smart first pass up the ice will help a lot, too).

Either way, he's likely a good 3-4 years away from having a shot in the NHL. Lots of time for him to develop.

Reactions: Snowwy

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
What was the hurry to sign him?
His last name. ;-) The entry level deal rolls over likely for the next two years anyway while he is junior eligible, so no harm there. The only issue is that he now counts for one of the 50 pro contracts the organization is allowed to have.

One advantage when a kid is signed with you is that he can now come work out at your facilities, work with your trainers, etc. You also get to tell him what he can do, and can't do, when it comes to off-season tournaments, training, etc.

Reactions: Xspyrit and slamigo

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I think this kid is going to make a lot of people eat crow. I was impressed. This has nothing to do with the org doing Dono any favours. If anything, they look at the bloodline and upbringing and made a solid choice. I think he's going to become a solid NHLer in a few years.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
His last name. ;-) The entry level deal rolls over likely for the next two years anyway while he is junior eligible, so no harm there. The only issue is that he now counts for one of the 50 pro contracts the organization is allowed to have.

One advantage when a kid is signed with you is that he can now come work out at your facilities, work with your trainers, etc. You also get to tell him what he can do, and can't do, when it comes to off-season tournaments, training, etc.
but only to a limited extent as specified in the Player Agreement.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
As mentioned before, Mann went to Dono and asked him if he was ok with the team picking his son. Said he was in the range of their pick and wanted to double check before selecting him.

It wasn't a favour.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
As mentioned before, Mann went to Dono and asked him if he was ok with the team picking his son. Said he was in the range of their pick and wanted to double check before selecting him.

It wasn't a favour.
Agree, Jorian has good size & is a very good skater like his father. He is clearly a long term project & there is lots of time, but eventually he could get a shot. It will be his decision making process & how quickly he can transition the puck that will need to improve IMO. He also needs to play with more edge & hit more, his dad played with much more jam.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ice-Tray

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think this kid is going to make a lot of people eat crow. I was impressed. This has nothing to do with the org doing Dono any favours. If anything, they look at the bloodline and upbringing and made a solid choice. I think he's going to become a solid NHLer in a few years.
I liked his performance in the exhibition game against Toronto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad