Jori Lehterä implicated in investigation into Finnish cocaine ring

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Most impressive thing I've ever seen from Lehtera was when he almost knocked over Chara on the wall. Despite all his short comings that was a solid collision and he shook Chara.
Well he also made solid contact with Malkin last spring that basically tookhim out of the playoffs

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Really hope it isn't true, because it would be a shame for someone to throw away their reputation like that. Plus losing any opportunity to play in Europe/Russia or (especially) be involved in coaching at pretty much any level. But that could very well be the penalty for (I assume) bad judgement wrt getting involved in sketchy activities or sketchy people.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
So they played him in Boston. Any further update from the authorities in Finland or the NHL? If not, maybe that's why they are holding off on the last forward cut?

Around the time when the news broke, the police was finishing their investigation and putting the case forth to the prosecutor. The prosecutor will now spend some time determining who he is going to charge and on what offence. It's a big case, so no speedy developments should be expected around Lehtera [pun].

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Really hope it isn't true, because it would be a shame for someone to throw away their reputation like that. Plus losing any opportunity to play in Europe/Russia or (especially) be involved in coaching at pretty much any level. But that could very well be the penalty for (I assume) bad judgement wrt getting involved in sketchy activities or sketchy people.

Yeah, I desperately want him elsewhere, but not in jail. Hope he's just the victim of a cabinjacking or something.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I doubt he's involved in any sort of trafficking, it's possible but doesn't make sense since he'd be risking a very nice salary this season.

More likely, it's got to be a small social circle (we're talking Finland, the whole country has the same population as the Greater Philly area (5.5 million) and he's hanging with a professional social circle in a tourist area.

Very possible he did a little offseason partying with some of these people and either they used his cottage without his permission or told him "hey, Jori, while you're in America, can we use it on the weekends?" Not much different than some friends asking to use your beach house if you're away six months, you might want that if you thought they were mature (not frat boys) because it means it might discourage break-ins if people are see there on a regular basis.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Lehtera's contract was the price we paid to obtain Farabee.
Got no problem with that at all, for one thing, it ain't my money and it doesn't impact our salary cap going forward.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
To help with the guessing games, this is the legal definition of the "Narcotics offence" Lehtera is specifically suspected of:

Chapter 50 - Narcotics offences (1304/1993)

Section 1 – Narcotics offence (374/2008)

A person who unlawfully

(1) produces or attempts to produce a narcotic substance or cultivates or attempts to cultivate a coca plant, khat (Catha edulis) or Psilosybe mushrooms,
(2) cultivates or attempts to cultivate opium poppy, hemp or cactus plants containing mescaline for use as a narcotic substance or the raw material for a narcotic substance or for use in the production or manufacture of a narcotic substance,
(3) imports or attempts to import or exports or attempts to export a narcotic substance, or transports it or has it transported or attempts to transport or attempts to have it transported,
(4) sells, supplies, conveys or otherwise distributes or attempts to distribute a narcotic substance, or
(5) possesses or attempts to obtain a narcotic substance,

shall be sentenced for a narcotics offence to a fine or to imprisonment for at most two years.

It's noteworthy that there's another offence (50:4) that covers for abetting by financing or loaning money for drug trade purposes, which some people have been guessing as he's loaded with money, but he's not suspected of that. Though, there is a caveat in 50:4 that it doesn't apply if the action suspected as crime falls under 50:1 or the aggravated version of it (50:2).

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Update on this. (with google translate, don't have time to translate this now but google seems to do fine job.)

MTV: NHL-pelaaja Jori Lehterän huumerikosepäily etenee syyteharkintaan

According to the Criminal Police Program, the deadline for bringing charges is at the beginning of December. Lehterä has denied having committed the crime.
According to the MTV crime scene, the drug suspect of NHL player Jori Lehterä proceeds to prosecution.

The Philadelphia Flyers player is linked to a major drug investigation by the Finnish police in which the crime scene reports that there are 25 suspects.

According to the program, the case will be transferred to the suspects for a prosecution within the next couple of weeks and the deadline for bringing charges is at the beginning of December.

The 30-year-old Lehterä, suspected of having committed a drug offense, has denied having been involved in police investigations.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Update on this. (with google translate, don't have time to translate this now but google seems to do fine job.)

MTV: NHL-pelaaja Jori Lehterän huumerikosepäily etenee syyteharkintaan

According to the Criminal Police Program, the deadline for bringing charges is at the beginning of December. Lehterä has denied having committed the crime.
According to the MTV crime scene, the drug suspect of NHL player Jori Lehterä proceeds to prosecution.

tenor.gif

Hakroach

Veteran Presence
Jan 4, 2005
Helsinki
Well it's been said quite unclearly in the articly. Article says Jori Lehterä's drug suspect is going to "consideration of charges". Might just mean the whole case.

It means that the police have finished their investigation for the most part and the case moves to the prosecutor (in Finland the police and the prosecutor are more separate than in many other countries). The prosecutor will make the decision who is charged and who is not. Per that article decision to prosecute must be made in the beginning of December at the latest.

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
It means that the police have finished their investigation for the most part and the case moves to the prosecutor (in Finland the police and the prosecutor are more separate than in many other countries). The prosecutor will make the decision who is charged and who is not. Per that article decision to prosecute must be made in the beginning of December at the latest.
Yes I know what the article says. I mean it's unclear whether it means Lehterä specifically or the case as a whole.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm sure the Flyers will dispatch their best legal team to aid their cherished veteran. Hakstol would be lost without him.

Just in case he does get prosecuted, who is the next terrible player we can pick up via cap dump trade that will prevent a young player with skill and a future from earning a spot for 2 seasons?

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I'm sure the Flyers will dispatch their best legal team to aid their cherished veteran. Hakstol would be lost without him.

Just in case he does get prosecuted, who is the next terrible player we can pick up via cap dump trade that will prevent a young player with skill and a future from earning a spot for 2 seasons?
Dubinsky?

Reactions: Foggy14

Hakroach

Veteran Presence
Jan 4, 2005
Helsinki

Hakstol should represent Lehterä himself! Hakshell defense in court room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad