Jori Lehterä implicated in investigation into Finnish cocaine ring

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I think the NHLPA would fight it if the Flyers tried to demote him now.
We all dont like him as a player. But we have to let things play out.

The Flyers could simply say it is due to performance. The NHLPA would not really be able to argue. He would still get paid etc under NHL rules, even if bought out.

And they could certainly - if they wanted to - have him suspended right now with pay before the league meets on the matter.

It is pretty much down to what the Flyers want to do really...

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
The Flyers could simply say it is due to performance. The NHLPA would not really be able to argue. He would still get paid etc under NHL rules, even if bought out.

And they could certainly - if they wanted to - have him suspended right now with pay before the league meets on the matter.

It is pretty much down to what the Flyers want to do really...

yeah I guess. The PA could argue that he was send down as punishment. I am not saying the PA would win the argument. Just saying I dont know if the PA would let it slide without talk with Bettman.
The league could very well do the Flyers a favor and suspend him

Reactions: Appleyard

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I don't think the Flyers or any company/organization has the right to fire people based on some allegation that he might have ties to "whatever".

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I'm just saying what I personally think is the right thing for the team to do (other than telling to **** off due to his hockey performance).

I'm just consistent with my stance on this type of thing. I think it's wrong to take any kind of action when all there's only the suggestion, but no proof, of wrongdoing.

I agree to an extent for sure, especially having a law degree, albeit a British one!

Innocent until proven guilty.

But in almost any case at any job in the UK or Europe where such a situation happened you would very unlikely to be around the office until trial/prosecutor dropped charges. Suspended with pay/gardening leave while investigation ongoing would be likely. Had it happen to a colleagues, albeit one I did not know well, in my last job.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I believe the Drug Policy only applies if you're arrested (formal substance abuse evaluation and placed into Stage 1) or convicted (Stage 2) as well. Depending on the language, it may behoove the team to get out in front of this.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don't think the Flyers or any company/organization has the right to fire people based on some allegation that he might have ties to "whatever".

The Flyers don't because he has an employment contract that is subject to a collective bargaining agreement.

A regular at-will employee can be fired for any reason that hasn't specifically been made illegal by public policy, like their race or sex. If the guy who wears the Gritty costume had an allegation like this surface he'd be terminated before the day was over.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

He won't be. He'd be buried instead.

They also found PEDs.

He definitely wasn't taking enough.

On a serious note that could open a poop can the league has avoided until now

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The Flyers need to talk to the Finnish police to really see Lehtera "involvement" based on the evidence they have, and then act accordingly.

He should not see the ice in the next few day until they know the whole story. "Maintenance day" him, then act.

Reactions: BernieParent

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
No Lehterä at practice...

but ofc could be for a myriad of reasons.

He could have told the team when cottage raided and both play it by ear.
He could have not told them... which is surely worse for him.
And ofc more reasons...

Reactions: BernieParent

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This is a blessing in diguise.

Now we just have to stomach another round of national media talking about how "the Flyers traded Schenn for Lehtera."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad