Speculation: Jordin Tootoo

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Ignoring the personal issues (or non-issues) I don't see a fit for him and his contract. He's making $1.9 million where Thorburn is under $900k. I'd take Thorburn with his salary over Tootoo.

L12

Aug 17, 2011
Over the past two seasons in 5 more games than Thorburn, Tootoo has 23 more points than him. In 11-12 he would of ranked 7th among the Jets forwards in scoring and 9th last year while he played his first year in Detroit. Tootoo draws more penalties than he takes over the past few seasons. He'd be a fan favourite in no time. Salary is a non issue with the cap going up. Tootoo has flaws in his game but he brings an edge to the game that few others do.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
At what point does one team's garbage become a need of the Jets?

Garbage? He's been playing very well for the Wings these past few games, the reason Wings want trade him that his the odd man out with the cap hit and the need to call up Nyquist from the AHL.

I would prefer if the Wings kept him but if he's gonna go I want him on my second favorite team, the Jets :P

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Lawless shined in on this topic with Beyak in the intermission last night, some interesting information to say the least. A year ago (summer 2012) when Tootoo was a UFA the Jets went hard after him, and were in the race right up until the very end when Tootoo signed in Detroit. Lawless made it sound like Chevy would listen if Detroit called, or, Chevy would possibly explore things himself.

Lawless said given Tootoo's 1.9 million in salary, Detroit may have to eat some of it. However, I can't see that happening as they want to part ways so they can free up salary. But, if there are no takers for that contract, perhaps they do eat a bit of it.

Interesting anyway. Like I said yesterday, I'd really like Tootoo here. We'll see how it plays out.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Lawless shined in on this topic with Beyak in the intermission last night, some interesting information to say the least. A year ago (summer 2012) when Tootoo was a UFA the Jets went hard after him, and were in the race right up until the very end when Tootoo signed in Detroit. Lawless made it sound like Chevy would listen if Detroit called, or, Chevy would possibly explore things himself.

Lawless said given Tootoo's 1.9 million in salary, Detroit may have to eat some of it. However, I can't see that happening as they want to part ways so they can free up salary. But, if there are no takers for that contract, perhaps they do eat a bit of it.

Interesting anyway. Like I said yesterday, I'd really like Tootoo here. We'll see how it plays out.

I hope that Chevy is very confident about any issues that could arise, though I'm the first to admit that I have no idea. We just don't need any more character issues on this team (not saying Tootoo would bring any).

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg

Yeah, I was actually surprised when I heard this. I didn't know we went after him in the off season. But if Detroit takes 500k of his salary, I could see it being a decent deal for Winnipeg.

I can see why Detroit wants to get rid of him, though. 1.9 mil is a lot to pay for someone only getting 6:44 minutes of ice time a night.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
This morning on xm someone said that Winnipeg and florida have inquired about tootoo. For the life of me I can't remember who tit was.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm skeptical about signing Tootoo, BUT I trust that the Jets will do their homework. If Chevy determines that Tootoo can benefit the team, while not being an issue (to himself or the team) off the ice, then I say give it a shot.

I still don't love his salary though.
Actually the more I think about it, I don't think I want him. But only for hockey reasons.

lablite47

Jan 22, 2013
Wpg
We have enough 3rd and 4th liners to choose from in the organization, and at a much lower price point!

Puckschmuck*

Tutu is a ******** and an overrated player.

Keep that poison pill away from this team, please.

CZ

Jan 6, 2013
No way. 2 mil for a fourth liner?? Peluso can do everything Tootoo can for a lot less....and yes no baggage

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->