Recalled/Assigned: Jordan Weal

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
What I think we have in our favor if we want to re-sign Weal: He himself was probably thinking he is a career AHLer...he's found himself playing with Giroux and Simmonds. I think Weal has actually been a good complement to them and he's found a "good thing" for himself. I think he'd want to return based on that alone, rather than gamble on another situation just for a little more cash.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
I actually think Raffl, PEB and Lyubimov would be a solid 4th line.

Lyu has no place on this team, strictly based on numbers. They have to much invested in Laughton and Leier at this point to lose them for free without giving them another shot. And Weise ties up another roster spot. If Hak and Hex had any desire to develop Lyu into a full time fourth line PKer then he would have been playing over Cousins and maybe even spotting VDV recently. I feel that they will give Weal and Lindblom a chance to bring some offensive to a struggling roster next year before resigning Lyu.

Konecny-Giroux-Simmonds
Weal-Flippula-Voracek
Lindblom-Couts-Schenn
Raffl-Laughton-PEB
Leier
Weise

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Lyu has no place on this team, strictly based on numbers. They have to much invested in Laughton and Leier at this point to lose them for free without giving them another shot. And Weise ties up another roster spot. If Hak and Hex had any desire to develop Lyu into a full time fourth line PKer then he would have been playing over Cousins and maybe even spotting VDV recently. I feel that they will give Weal and Lindblom a chance to bring some offensive to a struggling roster next year before resigning Lyu.

Konecny-Giroux-Simmonds
Weal-Flippula-Voracek
Lindblom-Couts-Schenn
Raffl-Laughton-PEB
Leier
Weise

Sadly, you are correct.

There is not a single game this past season that he shouldn't have been in the lineup over VandeVelde; but that's the way it goes..and he likely won't get a shot next season due to the influx of forwards.

I hope he gets a chance elsewhere next year.

After Hakstols treatment of Medvedev and Lyubimov, I would be surprised if future if FA's out of the KHL weren't hesitant to sign here.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Luby got plenty of chances, just didn't do much with them.
Cousins and Weal got the same opportunities, Weal made more of them and is on the 1st line, Cousins got demoted to the 4th line.
Laughton got a full season and is now in the AHL.

At some point you have to produce, not merely promise.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Cousins and Weal got the same opportunities, Weal made more of them and is on the 1st line, Cousins got demoted to the 4th line.

Unless you are Belle and VDV.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Repeating this over and over will never make it true.

pinedak

Dec 4, 2014
Going into next year with:

xxxx - Giroux - Simmonds
Konecny - Couturier - Voracek
Raffl - Filppula - Schenn
xxxx - xxxx - xxxx
Weise
Bellemare

With:

Weal, Laughton, Cousins, Lindblom & Leier fighting for those 4 spots would be fun.

Assuming that Read taken in ED.

I'm sure Bellemare has a spot considering the "A", which leaves 3 spots in top 12. I would take Read without better options but idk that LV does so that leave 2 in top 12.

My money is on Lindblom and Weal locking nightly spots with Cousins as the depth guy along with Weise.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm sure Bellemare has a spot considering the "A", which leaves 3 spots in top 12. I would take Read without better options but idk that LV does so that leave 2 in top 12.

My money is on Lindblom and Weal locking nightly spots with Cousins as the depth guy along with Weise.

Don't forget we will most likely lose someone in the Expansion Draft.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Is Weal playing well enough to be considered as the 7th forward protecting in expansion?

He's a pending UFA so he can't be protected.

We could sign him before the Expansion Draft and protect him, or after the Expansion Draft but we would take a small risk that Vegas wont try to sign him (which would mean they don't get to claim anyone else).

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
Sadly, you are correct.

There is not a single game this past season that he shouldn't have been in the lineup over VandeVelde; but that's the way it goes..and he likely won't get a shot next season due to the influx of forwards.

I hope he gets a chance elsewhere next year.

After Hakstols treatment of Medvedev and Lyubimov, I would be surprised if future if FA's out of the KHL weren't hesitant to sign here.

Medvedev didn't produce and had off ice issues. If he was NHL caliber, he would have gotten other NHL offers.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It's easier to just not sign him till after the ED. Vegas aren't going to take him as a UFA.

Last edited:

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
When Hexy took Weal from LA in a Roster clearance move, I was doubtful that he would be an NHL Player and expected him to be a Phantom for a Season or so and be a good AHL Player for the remainder of his career... After seeing him on some extended play, I really like what I've seen.

What we and the rest of the NHL have seen is a small sample... nobody can really know just how much to gamble on him for sure... so, I don't think that the LV Golden Knights would bother using a selection on him and passing on the other exposed Flyers... nor do I think that he would get a big contract on the Open FA Market... and he does seem to like the Organization, from what I've read... So, that said, I'd like to see the Flyers sign him to a fair yet lowish Contract before the Expansion Draft, and then leave him exposed... If LV drafts him, so be it... if not, the Flyers will have a worst a good Player for the Phantoms and for depth... and at best, a potentially good Player going forward.

I really see it as a no lose situation for the Flyers to sign him... as long as it is a Cap friendly Contract.... and also good for him as he establishes himself in the League.

JMO

Patrick Division

Jan 13, 2008
NJ
May have been talked about already but how is Weal a UFA after this season when he is only 24? I thought it was 7 years in the NHL or 27 yrs old.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
May have been talked about already but how is Weal a UFA after this season when he is only 24? I thought it was 7 years in the NHL or 27 yrs old.

Weal will be 25. He's played 4 seasons in the AHL after 20 years old. He's 31 total NHL games.

What is a Group VI UFA?
A player who's contract is expiring and meets all of the following conditions shall become an unrestricted free agent (UFA):

The player is 25 years or older (as of June 30th of the calendar year the contract is expiring).

The player has completed 3 or more professional seasons - qualified by 11 or more professional games (for an 18/19 year old player), or 1 or more professional games (for a player aged 20 or older). This can include NHL, minor league, and European professional league seasons played while under an SPC.

The player has played less than 80 NHL games, or 28 NHL games of 30 minutes or greater for a goaltender.
https://www.capfriendly.com/faq#ufa6

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->