Recalled/Assigned: Jordan Weal

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
I like Lyubimov, but not sure he's a fit here in a world where Weise, Bellemare, and probably one of Read and VDV remain on the roster.

Sad but true.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yes, Weal's emergence is a reminder of how poor the Weise signing really was.

The wasted money is one thing, but it also makes it harder for the Weals of 2018 and 2019 to get an opportunity.

I wonder if we see Bellemare the same way by next year (if not already). Or, god help us, VDV if he gets another year or two.

Bellemare is already a poor signing before his next contract even starts.

I don't see VandeVelde getting re-signed. Too many bodies and more on the way.

Hextall should look to sign Weal to a 1 year "Prove It" deal now before he heats up too much and starts to turn some heads around the league. I am still not sold on him but I don't want to watch him walk then establish himself with another team. Been there, done that.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Bellemare is already a poor signing before his next contract even starts.

I don't see VandeVelde getting re-signed. Too many bodies and more on the way.

Hextall should look to sign Weal to a 1 year "Prove It" deal now before he heats up too much and starts to turn some heads around the league. I am still not sold on him but I don't want to watch him walk then establish himself with another team. Been there, done that.

You're unlikely to get him less than 2 years. If he thinks he can make a few dollars and some security by going to UFA, he's going to do it. So if you're intent on keeping him, you better give him a reason to sign.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
You're unlikely to get him less than 2 years. If he thinks he can make a few dollars and some security by going to UFA, he's going to do it. So if you're intent on keeping him, you better give him a reason to sign.

I guess waiting until the end of the season when we have a larger sample size to analyze is probably for the best then. We will still have time to negotiate with him before he becomes a UFA.

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017

I agree. I also think he's a better fit than Cousins although sample size can't be ignored.

I think if he was offered a 2 year $1.5-6 1 way contract he would take it. If he doesn't work out waive him and he'll be claimed or help the Phantoms.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Going into next year with:

xxxx - Giroux - Simmonds
Konecny - Couturier - Voracek
Raffl - Filppula - Schenn
xxxx - xxxx - xxxx
Weise
Bellemare

With:

Weal, Laughton, Cousins, Lindblom & Leier fighting for those 4 spots would be fun.

Assuming that Read taken in ED.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
im a huge Cousins fan, but I'd rather take a gamble on Weal over then Cousins next year based on personal (I'm good with taking both). It would also push Raffl to 4th Line wit PEB which would be nice

Asnito

Mar 2, 2017
im a huge Cousins fan, but I'd rather take a gamble on Weal over then Cousins next year based on personal (I'm good with taking both). It would also push Raffl to 4th Line wit PEB which would be nice

To me Weal seems to have more upside. I almost feel like we've seen what Cousins can do and Weal is less proven but I think would be more effective if he continues to progress.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Yeah, getting Raffl out of the top 9 would be great. When he's not having one of his hot streaks, he's just Vandevelde with more hockey sense.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If he closes the season strong and the difference is 2yr @.75mil or let him walk what do you do?

How strong are we talking? If he ends up with 20 points in 25 games, then 2 years at $1.5m might be market value, but that would require him to score 16 points in the final 15 games.

If he finishes with a more reasonable stat line like 13 points in 25 games then I think 1 year at $1m is more than fair.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Yeah, I guess Dale Weise would be a better comparison. They aren't really hurting you, but they aren't helping either.
Raffl has more career goals than VandeVelde has points. He also came right into the league and was a competent penalty killer and good forechecker. Instead of becoming a mainstay on the PK, he's played a whopping 5 minutes on the PK these last two years, just so Hakstol and Laperriere's pet projects can get their minutes in.

If he played important PK minutes and chipped in his ~30 points on the 3rd line everyone would love him. Instead he plays crap minutes with guys like Cousins and Read. He's a frustrating player because he's a poor finisher, but he brings a hell of a lot more to the table than the rest of the bottom 6 wingers.

Asnito

Mar 2, 2017
How strong are we talking? If he ends up with 20 points in 25 games, then 2 years at $1.5m might be market value, but that would require him to score 16 points in the final 15 games.

If he finishes with a more reasonable stat line like 13 points in 25 games then I think 1 year at $1m is more than fair.

20 points in 25 games he might be looking for 1yr at 2mil. He's playing well and if he does 13-15 in the last 25 2yrs @ 1.5-6 total won't break the bank. If he totally flops next year we know he can produce in the A and the one way contract isn't going to mess up the Flyers salary cap.

Asnito

Mar 2, 2017
Raffl has more career goals than VandeVelde has points. He also came right into the league and was a competent penalty killer and good forechecker. Instead of becoming a mainstay on the PK, he's played a whopping 5 minutes on the PK these last two years, just so Hakstol and Laperriere's pet projects can get their minutes in.

If he played important PK minutes and chipped in his ~30 points on the 3rd line everyone would love him. Instead he plays crap minutes with guys like Cousins and Read. He's a frustrating player because he's a poor finisher, but he brings a hell of a lot more to the table than the rest of the bottom 6 wingers.

I actually think Raffl, PEB and Lyubimov would be a solid 4th line.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
20 points in 25 games he might be looking for 1yr at 2mil. He's playing well and if he does 13-15 in the last 25 2yrs @ 1.5-6 total won't break the bank. If he totally flops next year we know he can produce in the A and the one way contract isn't going to mess up the Flyers salary cap.

It won't, but when you look around the league it's rare for a player with Weal's limited amount of games to get that type of deal.

Look at what Marchessault got for scoring 18 points in 45 games

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/jonathan-marchessault

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
So do we think Weal could be an actual player? He hasn't looked out of place at all. He's making some serious plays and is scoring goals.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
So do we think Weal could be an actual player? He hasn't looked out of place at all. He's making some serious plays and is scoring goals.

I think its too soon to tell but his play is encouraging.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad