Player Discussion Jordan Weal: To Russia With Love... (Weal To Sign in KHL)

Jul 6, 2016
Good for him, I guess. Should be able to earn some decent money.

Shame for Laval, though. They are going to need a #1C.

How come ? Players like Weal are easily available. And you cannot blame Weal to want a better salary somewhere else.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I'd trust 5C-Weal more at the centre position than an out of position Frolik.
Here is to show you how many times Frolik took faceoffs in his 12 years in the league. It'll show you how little time he played at centre and how much uneasy he would be at that position for not having been a centre for over a decade.
Again, it's ok for us to disagree.
View attachment 391647

Outside of maybe 2010-2011 it looks like the normal amount of FO a winger would take in a year. So yeah he's a winger.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Can we re-title the thread and make this a tribute/farewell. The guy played with a lot of heart, didn't complain going down to Laval and was a good solider and depth option throughout his time in Montreal. Wish him all the best moving forward.

Reactions: BobbyShehan

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Heading to Russia, to do some Free-Weal-in'!!
Good luck!
Decent player while he was here....the CJ PP thing was beyond weird, but hey, wish the guy luck.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Can we re-title the thread and make this a tribute/farewell. The guy played with a lot of heart, didn't complain going down to Laval and was a good solider and depth option throughout his time in Montreal. Wish him all the best moving forward.

Changed it (since I was the one who had started the thread a few years ago). It's the best I could do.

Reactions: Steve Shutt

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
He got a lot of flack because Julien kept using him on the PP but he was fine when he played...

He was fine in that year where they picked him up. After that, I don't have much to say.

He was all over the ice in his debut against LA. Impressive debut but it turned out to be a mirage.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
He was fine in that year where they picked him up. After that, I don't have much to say.

He was all over the ice in his debut against LA. Impressive debut but it turned out to be a mirage.
He pulled a Andreas Martinsen, looking great in his debut and subsequently not playing near the same level.

Reactions: JianYang

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
He got a lot of flack because Julien kept using him on the PP but he was fine when he played...

Maybe it is just he came from another team and didn't know the habs powerplay was all about Weber and low percentage shots so he looked good until it was explained to him?

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Ya. But Russia? I never understood why NA players would play there. Big culture shock. Not to mention the government.

Most places are OK if you have money. Lots of countries have bad governments. Scary going somewhere that the government may kill you if you say the wrong thing, but I don't think they are murdering emigre hockey players yet.

If Russia has higher salaries than other places for players who often only have 5-15 years to earn significant money people will go.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Ya. But Russia? I never understood why NA players would play there. Big culture shock. Not to mention the government.

The government is the goverment. The people are the people.

I lived in China for 1 year. The government sucks even more than the Russian gov't. The people are amazing.

I've met a lot of Russians in north america. Every one I've met has been very nice, very humble - and they love to talk hockey, or at least soccer or tennis. Maybe my sample is biased. But that's all I've experienced.

Reactions: Andrei79

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
The government is the goverment. The people are the people.

I lived in China for 1 year. The government sucks even more than the Russian gov't. The people are amazing.

I've met a lot of Russians in north america. Every one I've met has been very nice, very humble - and they love to talk hockey, or at least soccer or tennis. Maybe my sample is biased. But that's all I've experienced.

Same thoughts when it comes to any Russian person I've ever met...humble, personable, and passionately LOVE their hockey like we do...

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
His NHL salary was 1.5M this year, what a agent he has or MB was drunk when he offered that contract.

or MB's plan to make the identity of the team "speed and character", and who cares about skill, made no sense whatsoever from the get go - as was obvious to anyone except he and Geoff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad