Player Discussion Jordan Weal: To Russia With Love... (Weal To Sign in KHL)

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I remember the caps won the cup. Florida with a bunch of borderline 4th liners reached the scf against the Avs too. It doesn't prove anything when it's an exception.

Like the Lighting last year?

The exception is the willingness to commit, not the effectiveness of the strategy.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Oh he will. 100% sure. I predicted him a 50 points season a couple of weeks ago and i'm positive i'll be right. It's Montreal what else could you expect? Like i said last year Jordan Weal is the last 30 years in a nutshell. Now can he make you eat your words on a cup winning team? Personally i don't think so. He'll be there for a couple of seasons. Fans will acclaim him. Songs will be written to celebrate his accomplishments. He'll be the flavor of the month like Oleg Petrov, Sergei Zholtok, Francis Bouillon and all the others. Then after 3 to 4 years we will eventually trade him and i don't think he'll last longer than 3 years in the league after leaving Montreal. Fans of the team acquiring will wonder why he was so good with us and so bad with them. The answer will be in the TOI stats column and the success of respective teams. Sorry to be so jaded but well after 30 years of the same formula ...

Weal is a 4th liner that has the skills of a 3rd liner.

Who would you rather have on the 4th line, from accross the league?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
He should have a good season. Wouldn't be surprised if he has 40 points. Stealing Domi wasn't enough so we gave up an AHLer for a 3rd liner.

I was impressed with him last year.

I think of him as a potential new age metropolit. Underrated skill guy who could be used up and down the lineup, also on the PP.

40 points is a bit too upper end for me, but I see him as a utlility 30-35 point guy. That wouldn't be shabby at all either.

He's basically what the habs were hoping peca would be, IMO.

Reactions: a55p2

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
Was just HockeyDB'ing our guy Jordan. Found a pretty amazing stat.

When he played for the Regina Pats in 2011-2012, he put up 41 goals and 116 points.

Closest player to him in points on the Pats had 55 points.

I don't think i've ever seen such a gap!

Anywho, carry on, just thought i'd share.

Reactions: 26Mats and TT1

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
An average player. And that's fine. No disrespect, he isn't the type of project where we should afford all of our energy on it.

Reactions: Andrei79

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
An average player. And that's fine. No disrespect, he isn't the type of project where we should afford all of our energy on it.

Agreed.

He's good depth, but that's about it. Neither has the offense, the play without the puck or any intangible to take a roster spot up over guys like Suzuki, Poehling or KK.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Our kids are not going to be elite just because we trust them. They either are elite or they aren't.

So their outcome as players doesn't involve coaching, deployment or development in any fashion? It is just fate?

Is it your actual interpretation of that comment that he was suggesting trust alone was going to make players elite?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Agreed.

He's good depth, but that's about it. Neither has the offense, the play without the puck or any intangible to take a roster spot up over guys like Suzuki, Poehling or KK.

I was curious to see if he could be Shaw's replacement. The Tampa game was his first and only game on Domi's wing. It didn't go well. I think he'll get another shot. But I'd like to see Poehling get a shot.

As for Suzuki, I'd like to see how he looks centering his own line more than seeing him get another shot on Domi's wing.

Perhaps Thomspon-Suzuki-Weal 0r Cousins-Suzuki-Weal/Thompson.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
Extremely limited offensively and completely useless defensively(the main reason why he's scratched and why this is his 4th club in 4 years). His usage is now as it should be= popcorn.

Last edited:

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
So their outcome as players doesn't involve coaching, deployment or development in any fashion? It is just fate?

Is it your actual interpretation of that comment that he was suggesting trust alone was going to make players elite?
No, I'm obviously exaggerating. My point is, you can trust a young player as much as you like, but if he does not have high end potential, all of this trust is not gonna do you much good. To quote a famous coach Joseph Stalin: "trust, but verify".

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
No, I'm obviously exaggerating. My point is, you can trust a young player as much as you like, but if he does not have high end potential, all of this trust is not gonna do you much good.

So play it safe and don't trust them.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
So play it safe and don't trust them.
No. Observe them on the ice, observe them off the ice, don't engage in wishful thinking and adjust accordingly. There is a much greater chance of hurting real talent by forcing it to perform a role it's not ready to perform, than by underutilizing it.

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
This guy brings absolutely nothing. He's redundant on our team.

Time to end this Weal experiment.

Reactions: Tuggy

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

hopefully when everyone's healthy:

Tatar Danault Gallagher
Poehling Domi Suzuki
Drouin KK Armia
Byron Thompson Lehkonen
Cousins

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

Not a lot of options as he has shown more than Hudon or Barber. He also needs to shoot more,passes too often. Skates decently,handles the puck well,but like Eller,ends up turns in to nothing. He's not the reason habs are battling for a PO spot,others are more,or should be held more accountable with the expectation that were put upon them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad