Confirmed with Link: Jordan Weal (F) traded to Arizona for a 2019 6th round pick and Jacob Graves (D)

Angry Hockey Dad

Eat up Johnny
May 30, 2013
Canada
a late 4th or maybe a 5th? He is a tweener on a good hockey team. I dont get the need to get upset over this deal. He is a low end bottom 9 forward. Call up Misha or NAK and lets see what they can do in a no pressure situation

I'm not upset. I won't miss Weal. I like having his spot open at center or RW for a rookie like you mentioned. Just thought a team like Arizona who is desperate would have paid a bit more for him

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yotes needed a Center TODAY, no contender was adding Weal at the deadline.
These over reactions are laughable.
Well Jtown wanted him as the 1st line C, remember?

Weak will get top 6 minutes with AZ right now with all their injuries. Hope he does well.

While I thought he might get a 4th or 5th, I also thought of the reverse. Would I want to spend that on a guy with 9 points on the season who is becoming a UFA? AZ went looking for a warm body and got one. Flyers got another dart for an attempt at a bullseye.

Reactions: bennysflyers16

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
had no future here, scratched more often than not and traded to a team that, had helped us out in the past with cap issues and decent trades. looks like a trade to foster good will for future deals to me.

Reactions: magnumpi

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
Don't sweat it, Bob. People love dredging up old posts to "I told you so", or make fun.

yea i love those posts.
Bringing up old posts so they can say"ha ha, I was right again and you were wrong, ha ha."

I live for them. Nothing more important in life than proving people wrong on a hockey message board.

Reactions: Pantokrator

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
He’s more like the boots that the prisoners wore in the cinematic classic Face Off starring Travolta and Cage.

Was funny though, in pre season and the first couple games I actually thought he was skating better than normal. The effort was obviously there.

He fell off back to his norm. Flyers need a real Finn back on the team again. Give them to me.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
weal is worth more than a 6th round pick. Now is not a time to get good value for him. The trade deadline is optimal time to trade a player like this.
We over simplify trades and interactions between GMs I believe. Weal maybe asked for a move to get a new start. He wasn’t going to get a major jump in playing time now until the deadline anyway with our prospects coming through the line (NAK) should be playing.

And let’s remember, Fletcher didn’t get an offer for a 4th rounder but decided the 6th was it. What he got was his best offer at the time. Maybe a 5th at the deadline? There’s not too much difference there. Moving the player might have been the biggest gain.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Was funny though, in pre season and the first couple games I actually thought he was skating better than normal. The effort was obviously there.

He fell off back to his norm. Flyers need a real Finn back on the team again. Give them to me.

Hope we get the best one in June

Reactions: BiggE

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Hope we get the best one in June

I had hope in Kapanen. Had hope in a Simmonds/Gudas deal to Toronto with salary retained on the Flyers part.

That little freak and his value might be too high now to pull it off.

Was drafted back in ‘14 and took him a while to start putting it together. Amazing what playing with other talented players can do for a kid instead of try hard morons.

Reactions: BiggE

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We got an asset for a player who was probably going to play part-time the rest of the season then leave.
Varone/Weal was a wash, Varone was better defensively, Weal better offensively, but both are marginal NHL players, as is Knight.
If Stolarz/Elliott/Neuvirth return in the next couple weeks, we needed another roster spot in the short-run.

Weal is an example where advanced metrics can be misleading, he has great Corsi, but watching him, he struggles to close the deal, and unlike say Lindblom, TK, Patrick or Sanheim, at 26 (27 in April) with 4 AHL seasons and 3 NHL cameos, he's unlikely to get much better. If he can't score at a 30+ ES pace, his defensive liabilities make him a marginal 3C, and he lacks the skill package for 4C.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Weal fooled me. Two seasons ago I was convinced he was exactly the type of 3rd line winger with offensive spark that could be valuable.

He’s since had a year & a half, & he is unable to make a consistent positive impact. Looks like he’s doing a lot; ends up accomplishing nothing. Frustrating offensive zone penalties; no defensive presence; no wall presence. Reminds me of Nick Cousins.

I’m glad they gave him a chance, but let him tease some other team.

Reactions: dats81

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
It’s like having a garage sale.

You sell your junk for cheap because it’s better than throwing it in the garbage and getting nothing in return.

Unrelated : I like your award.

I guess so? The move just seems to meh especially in relation to where the team is. Not a big deal either way but hopefully this is something that pushes things forward.

Frankly it might be better for this team to have a down year so they can sell off Simmonds and maybe even Voracek (for the right piece). This team really needs a hard shake up in the lineup.

Reactions: Striiker

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Interesting move...mainly because it didn't need to happen. A 6th is nothing, so why clear the salary/spot?

Usually nothing, but sometimes it's something. :naughty:

iu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad