Jordan Weal: 2018-19 season (Formerly: How many points for Weal in 2017-2018?)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
2016-17: 288 5x5 Minutes 2.29 pp/60
2017-18: 772 5x5 Minutes 1.24 pp/60
If he had played Simmonds 972, plus other ES, he'd probably have ended up with 5-16 21 (+3 PP for 24 total), a little below my 25-30 projection.

Filppula 1072 ES minutes, 6-15 21, I think Weal can do better and his defense could hardly be worse.
Weal CF 49.64, CFrel -0.54, xGF 50.0%, xGFrel -0.75
Filppula CF 44.52, CFrel -7.20, xGF 43.32, xGFrel -9.55

I think Weal is a little better than he showed last season, of course not as good as his SSS the year before.
Patrick healthy taking 2-3 of Filppula's minutes and Weal taking the rest should be an upgrade.

Weal didn't get the best of talent to play with last season:

Weal - Filppula - Simmonds
Weal - Patrick - Simmonds
Weal - Laughton - Raffl
Weal - Patrick - Weise
Weal - Lehtera - Weise
Weal - Patrick - Voracek

Weal played most of the year with either Filppula or Patrick before he was close to 100%

Last edited:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
2016-2017
23 games
8 goals (29 goal pace)
11 even strength points (39 point pace)
12 total points (43 point pace)

I said it was super unsustainable and people argued with me, saying it wasn't. That he was doing the right things.

Then...

2017-2018
69 games
8 goals (10 goal pace)
18 even strength points (21 point pace)
21 total points (25 point pace)

giphy.gif

And yes, obviously his usage was different, but we knew it would be. The point is he personally didn't even play close to the level he did the previous year because it simply wasn't sustainable. He wasn't like Konecny where he obviously should have been higher in the lineup all year but he was being held back by linemates and misuse.

Also looks like I was right when I compared him to Cousins.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
So if he can come in and come close to 30 points as a third line center what's really wrong with that? He's probably not the most ideal center but he's an upgrade on Filp or Lehtera.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
Why is Weal being penciled in on the top line?
Or is everybody using the Hakstok buffer because he doesn't get that TK should be on the top line with G and Coots
Anywho, I'd say 25 points if that

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
The problem is we have better options.

Plus he probably wouldn’t even hit 30 points.

Better options in regards to what? There are not 6+ players on our team or in our system that are better than Weal.

Simmonds, Lindblom, Laughton, Frost and Raffl are the only guys that are 100% better.

Vorobyev and NAK will be better, but I'm not sure they are at this very moment.

Reactions: Rebels57

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Better options in regards to what? There are not 6+ players on our team or in our system that are better than Weal.

Simmonds, Lindblom, Laughton, Frost and Raffl are the only guys that are 100% better.

Vorobyev and NAK will be better, but I'm not sure they are at this very moment.
As a 3C.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Right now Weal is in the mix as a 3C, I'd rather have him there than Laughton, because I think they're both limited at 3C, but Laughton is a better fit on the 4th line. If Frost doesn't make the team, I'd rather go with Laughton at 4C, see if Weal can handle 3C and when Vorobyev is ready, have him replace Weal if he can't handle the job, otherwise he replaces Laughton who moves to 4 LW.

Of course, if Frost wins the 3C job, it becomes easier, Weal gets traded and Laughton/Vorobyev vie for the 4C job.

I'm not sold that MV, Bardreau or Knight have a shot at making the team.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
In a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th line role as either C or Wing.

1st line role: 46 points
2nd line role: 37 points
3rd line role: 29 points
4th line role: 20 points

This is going into the 2018-2019 season. This is his make or break year for the club.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I don’t get those who think it’s an unfathomable opinion to prefer Weal to Laughton as getting first crack at 3C if it comes to it.

Both are fringe NHL players. Neither has done much in the NHL aside from some short spurts. There are questions if either is an NHL center or belongs at wing. One was better in the AHL, & it wasn’t Laughton.

It’s perfectly reasonable IMO to believe neither is a great option, but to prefer Weal of the two in that particular slot. This isn’t a cut & dry choice.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Laughton isn’t a “fringe NHL player”.

His production, given his usage and linemates, is impressive.
He got sent back to the AHL after spending an entire season in the NHL. He’s 24 & he hasn’t played 2 full NHL seasons in a row. He averaged 10 minutes a game on the 4th line & had to be moved to wing because of his play in his own zone. A guy with those credentials hasn’t proven he’s more than on the fringes of an NHL roster. You’re overrating him if you think there’s no rational way one could prefer Weal for 3C while also believing neither is a very good option.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He got sent back to the AHL after spending an entire season in the NHL. He’s 24 & he hasn’t played 2 full NHL seasons in a row. He averaged 10 minutes a game on the 4th line & had to be moved to wing because of his play in his own zone. A guy with those credentials hasn’t proven he’s more than on the fringes of an NHL roster. You’re overrating him if you think there’s no rational way one could prefer Weal for 3C while also believing neither is a very good option.
He got sent to the AHL, improved, came up and played great last year, and there's no reason to think it's unsustainable. In fact, he looks like he could have done even more if he wasn't dragging anchors around all year.

Also, mentioning his usage and lineup movement last year doesn't help your argument at all. Hakstol doing indefensibly stupid things isn't a reflection on Laughtons ability.
Same as taking TK off the top line isn't TK's fault. Same as putting Filppula on the top line isn't a valid argument in favor of him. And so on and so on...

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I still crazily think Weal can be a valuable enough 3rd or 4th line NHL player with the right linemates AKA not the worst the Flyers have to offer. He also flubbed quite a few opportunities to have put up more goals this year, but he has skill. Sometimes that happens. Toying with him like Hakstol did surely didnd't help. He does have PP2 potential on some other team, though I definitely prefer others here. He does good things despite his size+speed weaknesses: he's smart, shifty, good at entries, has quick hands, is a battler and surprising puck controller in the dirty areas (needs to get back to doing it more at net front), etc.

I thought his 2016-2017 stats weren't sustainable, but that doesn't mean he's not still that player scaled down a tad. I bet he can be better than last year provided opportunity. I don't know about 3C, but we'll see. I'd prefer Laughton. I don't see an issue in keeping options open. God knows it's better than signing another Filppula-type.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad