Confirmed with Link: Jordan Subban traded for Nic Dowd

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Hopefully Dowd stays on the ice long enough for me to notice him tonight. I've been cooking my dinner through the first half of these past two games and by the time I have started paying close attention Dowd has been stapled to the bench.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Canucks needed a stop-gap forward to fill in minutes while Horvat and Sutter are down. Dowd is a UFA at the end of the season. There's no attachment to the trade. And clearly they don't see Subban as high as some of you.

I think Subban is an under-sized d-man who can't protect his own end in the AHL. That mix never translates to the NHL. He has limited offensive upside. Perhaps when Subban is 26 or 27 we will see him play 40 games in the NHL. It's clear they want to pave the way for another d-man next year to fill his position.
Dowd wasn’t the only option as a stopgap. As many have already posted, there were players avalaiable on waivers that are easily as good as Dowd.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Looks to me like the Benning haters are seriously nit-picking. Their logic works something like this: Subban was an all star... last year. This year he has been a healthy scratch. Conclusion: he's an AHL all star. Wrong. He's a worthless player who will be gone at the end of the season. Just like Dowd who at least is a center and who, once his job is done here can go and be an asset in Utica. Unlike Subban.

Who cares if he was healthy scratched?

If we had signed Valk there wouldn't be a need for a center in Utica to begin with. But management let Valk walk, so now we have to trade a serviceable defenseman in the AHL for a waiver wire pickup, one which hasn't even past through waivers yet.

I'm also surprised just at the number of people who are suddenly experts on Subban's game down in Utica. We'd love to have you in the Utica thread, where we talk about the games, if you are watching Utica to begin with might as well come hop by.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Looks to me like the Benning haters are seriously nit-picking. Their logic works something like this: Subban was an all star... last year. This year he has been a healthy scratch. Conclusion: he's an AHL all star. Wrong. He's a worthless player who will be gone at the end of the season. Just like Dowd who at least is a center and who, once his job is done here can go and be an asset in Utica. Unlike Subban.
Subban has two really good offensive seasons in the AHL and one poor start to one this year. It’s more likely that the two seasons worth of evidence is more indicative than the 20 odd games he’s played this season.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
LOL Try convincing the Comet's fans here that Dowd ever sees Utica this season. Recent history would strongly suggest that ain't ever happening. Right now it's an ECHL lineup down there with three solid AHLers including the star goalie. It's pitiful really.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
LOL Try convincing the Comet's fans here that Dowd ever sees Utica this season. Recent history would strongly suggest that ain't ever happening. Right now it's an ECHL lineup down there with three solid AHLers including the star goalie. It's pitiful really.
Must be a great situation to develop prospects

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
meh, what better way to acclimatize your future starting goalie to what he'll experience with the parent club!:thumbu::naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad