Jordan Staal

Discussion in 'Pittsburgh Penguins' started by BronzeSpruce, Oct 5, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. BronzeSpruce

BronzeSpruce Registered User

Do you think Staal would do it differently given the chance?

Money literally being equal, since he signed the same offer the pens made.

Does he have regrets? Was 3.5 years with his brother worth not making the playoffs since he left? He had a reputation as a playoff gamer, a competive gamer in general really.

2. DegenX

DegenX ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I doubt it. He already had a Cup and wanted to play with one of his brothers.

3. bathroomSTAAL

bathroomSTAAL The halcyon days

I think he's fine. He already got the ring and how he has a bigger role, nicer weather, probably lower taxes, etc.

4. td_ice

td_ice Peter shows the way

Tyler Kennedy when asked that exact question about his buddy said, "no, I don't think he cares at all, he got paid."

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    SirBrad, Al Smith and Warm Cookies like this.
  5. Warm Cookies

Warm Cookies Brennan Izza Gangsta

I also wonder if Staal thought that the 50 points he got in 62 games in his final year with the Pens would end up being his career high. He was 23 and looked to be on a big upward trend, getting even more productive in the playoffs.

6. EightyOne

EightyOne Registered User

No regerts.

7. ziggyjoe212

ziggyjoe212 Registered User

He wanted to play a bigger, more offensive role. I would be shocked if Staal wanted to return to a 3c role until he's past his prime.

8. Snooki Stackhouse

Snooki Stackhouse Registered User

He gets paid $6mm a year to play a game he loves. He probably has new friends down there, enjoys the city, etc. I'm sure there's a small part of him that wishes things were more as he envisioned- playing with his brother still, winning games, scoring points, getting more offensive zone starts. But I don't think it's enough to lose sleep over. He made his decision, what's the point in dwelling on things that didn't work out perfectly?

9. MrBurghundy

MrBurghundy Never forget: #47

We ended up with another guy from that draft class anyway that a few of us wanted, and won 2 cups with him.

The paths taken, are the paths taken. Both sides are probably fine with the outcomes.

Shady Machine likes this.
  10. Solzhenitsyn

Solzhenitsyn Registered User

Should bring him back, see that breakaway last night? ;)

He actually got far worse deployment under Peters than Bylsma, but if he’s content that’s fair.

11. MrBurghundy

MrBurghundy Never forget: #47

We could probably explore the idea of bringing him back after the season when we're looking for another 3C.

Whether or not we could actually get a deal done is a whole other debate.

12. Peat

Peat Registered User

I'm gonna guess that if he'd known his brother would scarper right away and that he'd do just as much defensive grinding and as little attacking with Carolina, he might have chosen differently. I doubt he regrets it but it definitely wasn't the scenario he was sold.

13. billybudd

billybudd 1for the other thumb

I think Jordan Staal was under the impression that Carolina was going to also trade for or sign Marc and reunite the Staals on long-term deals, which seemed to be JR's plan at the time. If you told Jordan that Marc wasn't coming and Eric would be traded in a few years, would he have signed an 11 year deal with the Hurricanes? My guess is 'no' (which is not to say he sits around moping about this decision).

14. Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory Registered User

I seriously thought he was going to put up Keith Primeau type of numbers and be a Selke candidate every year. I think Jordan's biggest issues is that he's just not mentally strong enough to be a leader. He wanted to play with his brothers and even Eric didn't bother coming back. Marc sucks.

Jordan is likely just happy flying under the radar of sorts, in Carolina as one of the veterans on the team.

15. Syrinx

Syrinx Scan It...

Software Development
    Of all of the places I've been in this country, there is no place I'd rather live than in the Raleigh area. He is 1 hour north of some of the greatest golf in the world, 2 hours from the beach, and three hours from the mountains. Another plus is the anonymity offered here - there is a decent fan base but most people in this town have no idea who any of the players are. There is a reason many guys who have played for the Canes settle here after their career is over.

billybudd likes this.
  16. Daeni10

Daeni10 Kunitz was there

17. turd

turd Registered User

Thank god it worked out the way it did. His contract is horrific for what he brings.

ZeroPucksGiven and ncm7772 like this.
  18. Solzhenitsyn

Solzhenitsyn Registered User

A guaranteed draw against most top lines in the NHL and elite PKing? Nothing horrific about paying that 6 mil.

Tom Hanks likes this.
  19. pixiesfanyo

pixiesfanyo Registered User

Home Page:
    Really?

I think Staal signing that contract here would’ve been pretty solid once the kids came around.

Also, it probably spells Letang getting traded which would make a sect of this board happy.

20. Jill Sandwich

Jill Sandwich Master of Unlocking

I don't know how he feels, but Staal at 6 million here means no Dumoulin, no Bonino and no room to add Kessel and thus means no back to back Cups. I think I'd also rather have Bonino at 4 than Staal at 6.

That 2006 draft was the only one of the dark years where the path wasn't obvious. The top five were established but not set in order, and I remember my pick was Johnson because I knew we didn't want to draft a third line center with the second overall pick and there was commentary about Kessel's drive even then. I got more familiar with the 2006 top prospects than any year since because the Pens have always been in the 20s, plus a lot of them wound up in division or on the Penguins.

21. Warm Cookies

Warm Cookies Brennan Izza Gangsta

Brind'Amour sure loves him some Staal. He's not likely going anywhere anytime soon.

22. Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina Registered User

I don't think $6 million is terrible for Staal. It's fair value for him. I think Kessel would play very well with Staal. He could do a lot of the heavy lifting defensively while Kessel is the puck carrier and would drive the offensive play. Hagelin on the other wing and it would be like HBK (the good version) on 'roids. Never going to happen though.

I remember wanting Toews in that draft and was disappointed when they took Staal. I wonder how things would have turned out in that case....

Warm Cookies likes this.
  23. Pens x

Pens x Registered User

If he cares at all about winning then yes, a part of him has to wonder what could have been. At least he had the excuse here of not scoring much because he played on the third line in a defensive minded role. People overlooked the fact that he skated like he had cynder blocks tied to his skates here.

You never hear about Jordan Staal, at all. You could tell me he’s playing in the KHL and I would have to check to see if you were kidding.

I think we dodged a bullet there. Nice try, Shero.

ZeroPucksGiven likes this.
  24. xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Registered User

Staal didn't want to be a 3C, he didn't want to play wing, and he wanted to play with his brother(s). He wasn't staying, and the writing was on the wall for like a full year before he finally got traded. But, hypothetically, if he did stay and was in his 3C role with no complaints, he'd be worth every penny, imo. He was a damn good 3C for us, and honestly it was the best environment for him to succeed, being behind Sid's line and Geno's line. I don't think he's cut out to be a 2nd line center, let alone a 1st, and being a 3C on this team is the best possible situation for him.

But yeah, he wasn't sticking around regardless. He made a ****load of money, and while Carolina's a turd basket, I'm sure he doesn't really care. He has his money, he has his increased role, and his name on the Cup.

Warm Cookies likes this.
  25. Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory Registered User

Sometimes people dismiss fit for what they really want and can never admit their regret because it's what they wanted and have to live with it.

Jordan Staal with the Penguins would have been a fantastic career.
    Jordan Staal with the Hurricanes is a wasted potential career.

BronzeSpruce and Warm Cookies like this.