Jordan Staal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
How much do people think that Eric Staal having a phenomenal season thus far is going to end up helping Jordan come draft time?

I personally believe this will weigh in on decisions...at least a little bit.

Histrion

Feb 13, 2003
I don't see how someone remotely logical would be influenced by this.

chum

Feb 27, 2002
Histrion said:
eh, i think GMs take it into consideration (a little bit) if a player's blood relative performs well in NHL?

kickice

chum said:
eh, i think GMs take it into consideration (a little bit) if a player's blood relative performs well in NHL?

I agree.

Sure it's nowhere near the deciding factor, but I think there is something to it.

If a player had brothers who are proving themselves not only to be good players, but good professionals, then it can put another tick next to their names in terms of pluses.

The Staal brothers really do seem to come from good stock!

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
Histrion said:
Are you kidding me?! Of COURSE it has to do with the decision making process. Your telling me that all things being equal a GM wont take someone who has a brother or father who played really well in the NHL.

DJmastamind

Jan 26, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
www.beckett.com
I think a players bloodline had to play into it at least a little bit. Hey, as an example are you telling me that if your a GM in the future and have a chance to draft Lemieux's son...you wouldn't let the name influence you???

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
I guess my question was more that....do you think players are being picked based more on family stock now then ever before.....I remember Gretzkys kid brother and even Brett Hull werent exactly top 2 or 3 in the draft back in the day....now Marc Stall....who is a good player....however i dont believe he should have been taken nearly as high as he was....and now Jordan Staal is going to be taken even higher likley this year.

Histrion

Feb 13, 2003
It will influence you but it's not really rational. You should take the guy that has the better skillset notwithstanding wether or not his brother plays in the NHL or not.

I see how it might have an influence in facts (i.e.: strong probability that Montreal drafted S. Kostistsyn in part because Andrei was part of the organization) but I don't think that's the rational approach.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
Jordan Staal kicks *** in my eastside hockey manager. that has to influence a GM or two.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I think that the whole bloodline debate varies with each individual case.

But with the Staal's, I actually think it could definitely come in to play. Not necessarily because you simply see the name Staal, but digging a little deeper there could be some rational reason for jumping on Jordan on draft day. The Staals have shown a knack for extreme improvement as prospects, each year. Their development curve is huge. First with Eric, and then with Marc this year. When you're scouting Jordan and you are trying to decide between him and player X. You think to yourself, "Ok Jordan is good, BUT if the Staal pattern comes into play, he's going to get a heck of a lot better."

Sticky*

phaneuf_fan_3 said:
I guess my question was more that....do you think players are being picked based more on family stock now then ever before.....I remember Gretzkys kid brother and even Brett Hull werent exactly top 2 or 3 in the draft back in the day....now Marc Stall....who is a good player....however i dont believe he should have been taken nearly as high as he was....and now Jordan Staal is going to be taken even higher likley this year.

Ummm. You clearly have never seen Marc Staal play. Played so well at New York training camp that he parlayed it into a contract, and almost made the team.

Now he is the captain of the Sudbury Wolves, and is absolutely dominating the OHL this year, and by all accounts, is the best D in the league.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I don't think there is any question that both Jim Rutherford and Glen Sather (assuming they are still at the helm next June) will look extra long at drafting Jordan Staal. If the player is worthy of selection, it makes all the sense in the world. You're not only gaining an asset, but you're also sending a carrot to the brother as a nice organizational gesture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->