Proposal: Jordan Staal to the Blues

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Blues let captain David Backes go for nothing as a free agent and have a big hole at center without a replacement. Would Jordan Staal from Carolina be a good fit? He makes $6 million for many years but brings a big body and something of a two way game and has cup winning experience from early in his career. What would the return look like for Carolina if this was a swap worth pursuing?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Backes was a RW down the stretch and in the playoffs. We do not have a big hole at center because of him leaving. Cap is also an issue, not to mention, Staal's lack of offensive production.

Indications are that Steen will play center, then we have Stastny, Lehtera, Sobotka if he comes, and Berglund. Fabbri also could eventually transition back to center.

ThatSaid

May 31, 2015
Glendale Heights, IL
The Blues let captain David Backes go for nothing as a free agent and have a big hole at center without a replacement. Would Jordan Staal from Carolina be a good fit? He makes $6 million for many years but brings a big body and something of a two way game and has cup winning experience from early in his career. What would the return look like for Carolina if this was a swap worth pursuing?

I doubt the Blues would let Backes walk for a 6 million AAV contract and then go and trade for a guy like Jordan Staal. He's a little younger, but on a 6 million AAV contract for eternity.

The Blues have some good centers anyways. Not sure its a good fit.

Brendonhayden

Jan 25, 2016
I would do lethera and a 2nd for staal
EDIT: I just went and looked at the length of his contract and saw its not worth it but I would do lethera 2017 first for staal retained at 1.1 million (4.9 salary) and a third

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Let's just say that Jordan is worth more to Carolina than what most fans believe he's worth in a trade.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
My initial thought was...St. Louis has a Jordan Staal in Paul Statsny. I don't see it being a fit...

ThatSaid

May 31, 2015
Glendale Heights, IL
Let's just say that Jordan is worth more to Carolina than what most fans believe he's worth in a trade.

I think this is probably true. The great thing about him being signed for so long, is that he can be a stable presence during the rebuild, and his value could conceivably go up when the team starts gelling. By the time the team is ready to really compete, you might get something for a 29-30 year-old Staal. Probably a lot more than he's worth now.

Its not like he's grossly overpaid or anything, but I don't think many teams want to pay that kind of a price for an average second-line center.

Russian Factor

Jan 8, 2015
Pittsburgh
Staal is a bit underrated at the moment due to regency bias I think. 6 million is about right for a possession dominating, sound defensive player who is capable of much more offense than he showed last year. He was pretty unlucky and I'd put money on him posting at least 50 points next season.

warrior67

Jul 16, 2016
hockey purgatory

Wow, 7 years left on his contract and most likely 4 good years before he starts to slide. That's a lot of commitment.

Lehtera + Reaves + 2017 2nd round pick

If Staal was signed for less AAV and term I would definitely be more comfortable giving more up. The last half of his contract has high potential to be an albatross for the Blues.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I think this is probably true. The great thing about him being signed for so long, is that he can be a stable presence during the rebuild, and his value could conceivably go up when the team starts gelling. By the time the team is ready to really compete, you might get something for a 29-30 year-old Staal. Probably a lot more than he's worth now.

Its not like he's grossly overpaid or anything, but I don't think many teams want to pay that kind of a price for an average second-line center.

Average 2C offensive production. Yet he is one of the best and most imposing defensive Centers in the entire NHL.

Jordan Staal has waaaay more value to actual NHL GMs than to the average stat-watching fan. I don't know how to post his HERO chart, but Jordan Staal is both a possession and defensive monster.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Average 2C offensive production. Yet he is one of the best and most imposing defensive Centers in the entire NHL.

Jordan Staal has waaaay more value to actual NHL GMs than to the average stat-watching fan. I don't know how to post his HERO chart, but Jordan Staal is both a possession and defensive monster.

So is Patrik Berglund, but that doesn't boost his value substantially over his offensive production.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Its hard to imagine the Blues front office would be interested in parting with assets to obtain Staal when they were unwilling to pay Backes a comparable contract. I think this is probably a moot discussion.

The Blues could be enticed by a trade for a young forward, maybe still establishing himself, wing or center, who will match their 4-5 year window. Not sure Staal is that guy.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
No, the return starts with Lehtera or it doesn't start at all.

Canes have no reason to downgrade from Staal to Lehtera. If the deal doesn't have a 1st line upgrade going back to the Canes then there is no reason for the Canes to consider it.

Canes lack scorers and are sitting at the Cap floor. They aren't trading scorers for futures or to dump salary.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Canes have no reason to downgrade from Staal to Lehtera. If the deal doesn't have a 1st line upgrade going back to the Canes then there is no reason for the Canes to consider it.

Canes lack scorers and are sitting at the Cap floor. They aren't trading scorers for futures or to dump salary.
So...the Blues would be sending a 1st line talent for someone who's not a 1st line talent?

Well that makes sense

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Talk about an exercise in futility, this thread. The initial premise was flawed that the Blues need a center to replace Backes. 1) Backes wasn't going to be a center for us in the future, and wasn't down the stretch for last year. 2) We have enough middle 6, solid defensive players who can play center (Steen, Stastny, Sobotka, Berglund). If we get a center, we need an offensive guy to pair with Tarasenko. 3) Blues also don't have the cap for Staal without sending cap back, and Car doesn't want cap dumps.

So with no cap space and no interest, how does the thread proceed.

1) Blues fans say no thanks, the premise is flawed and there is no deal that makes sense
2) Canes fans "But you don't know how awesome our guy is", which was never in doubt, just his fit on our team/cap structure
3) Blues fans make bad offers with a cap dump as the main piece after Canes fans just said how valuable Staal is to them
4) Canes fans counter asking for futures after Blues fans said they had no cap.
5) Back and forth ensues.....

6) Everyone realizes, the premise is flawed and there is no deal that makes sense

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
So...the Blues would be sending a 1st line talent for someone who's not a 1st line talent?

Well that makes sense

[MOD]

What I actually said was that the Canes have no reason to move out one of their top scorers when they desperately need scoring. This makes the Blues and the Canes bad trading partners. It doesn't mean the Canes are expecting a 1st liner for J Staal.

Last edited by a moderator:

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
If anyone is curious. But Jordan Staal is a possession & shot suppressing monster. Here is a good comparison to him and Selke winner Anze Kopitar

http://public.tableau.com/shared/NQFHHN3F4?:display_count=yes

Obviously the upper hand goes to Kopitar when you look at goalscoring and playmaking skills. But Jordan Staal's possession and suppression stats are better than Kopitar's, Staal is up there with the best of the best defensive forwards.

Staal's defensive skills get overlooked very easily, and that's what makes him valuable.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I want to preface my following statement by saying that while Staal is not a world beater, he is worth far more to this franchise than probably most anyone would be willing to pay.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
[MOD] What I actually said was that the Canes have no reason to move out one of their top scorers when they desperately need scoring. This makes the Blues and the Canes bad trading partners. It doesn't mean the Canes are expecting a 1st liner for J Staal.

Odd because it was a reply to a reply that sent a 1st line talent to Carolina. I know what your getting at and that's fine, but your post indicated you want a 1st line talent back regardless of your underlying meaning.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad