Jordan Staal is NOT that good

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentNaslund*

Speaking of Toews,even I think this kid is kinda overrated. Yea he was 17, but he wasnt even that good, even with the best Canadians under 20. Its not like he was super fast, or super skilled, or dynamic. Some big time overrated Canadians comming into the draft boys and girls...

Reactions: Want My Dach x 77

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
KStewart113 said:
I'll listen to the scouts over you...and they strongly disagree.

Yeah because their always right :shakehead

Staal should not be a top 5 pick. Top 10 maybe he's got the POTENTIAL. He definately at this point in the game is not as good as alot of players that will be drafted after him.

But his potential is great and that's what the draft is all about.

Attica

Feb 21, 2004
The Office
NashisCash said:
People are seriously talking about taking this kid 1st Overall. There's no way in hell I would even consider him at 1st overall. Sure he has nice bloodlines and sure his older brothers took big steps in their development soon after they were drafted, but this kid just isn't that good. He's a fine player, but I wouldn't even take him top 5, IMO he'll top out as a 50-60 pt player with a good defensive game.

Some team is going to gamble and really miss with this kid, and wish they picked someone like Backstrom Or Toews.

It's not his current skill level that is making him jump up in the ranks, it's his potential. Somewhat like Pouliot last year, HUGE potential. With his frame and skillset, Staal could be the best forward to come out of the draft.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
AgentNaslund said:
Speaking of Toews,even I think this kid is kinda overrated. Yea he was 17, but he wasnt even that good, even with the best Canadians under 20. Its not like he was super fast, or super skilled, or dynamic. Some big time overrated Canadians comming into the draft boys and girls...

He's good... He produces as a 17 year old at a top NCAA Program and he did well at the World Juniors.... top 5 is pretty much a lock for him and for good reason.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I've only seen Staal play twice on TV - didn't really know what to make of him. Looked like he had decent puck skills - great size of course. I certainly didn't see any franchise centreman potential in him. 1st line centre for sure, but worthy of a top 3 pick I don't know.

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
NashisCash said:
People are seriously talking about taking this kid 1st Overall. There's no way in hell I would even consider him at 1st overall. Sure he has nice bloodlines and sure his older brothers took big steps in their development soon after they were drafted, but this kid just isn't that good. He's a fine player, but I wouldn't even take him top 5, IMO he'll top out as a 50-60 pt player with a good defensive game.

Some team is going to gamble and really miss with this kid, and wish they picked someone like Backstrom Or Toews.

Thats the same crap that was said about Eric Staal! He's consistent, ok player. The he kept moving up the board. He's cleary a top 3 pick!

turnbuckle*

Jordan scored 68 points as a 17-year-old this season, and won't be 18 until after the OHL season has started. Older brother Eric scored 62 points as a 17-year-old. Eric is an October birthday.

Eric had the strong season as an 18-year-old, and I expect the same from Jordan next season, especially when his role with the team expands. I expect him to be a top 5 pick.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Not sure if i'm right cause i live in a place where hockey doesn't exist :cry:
From what i saw, Staal looks like a good player, he can get the job done, reliable and with his size, he can fight for the puck. I think he is fairly overrated (#2 css final ranking?). He did improve his numbers by alot from his 04-05 season from 28 points to 68 points on 05-06. I think its safe to say that he is in the top 15, at the least.

Btw, can't find any info on Erik Johnson, is he really that great? #1 on css ranking?

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
CircularTheory said:
Not sure if i'm right cause i live in a place where hockey doesn't exist :cry:
From what i saw, Staal looks like a good player, he can get the job done, reliable and with his size, he can fight for the puck. I think he is fairly overrated (#2 css final ranking?). He did improve his numbers by alot from his 04-05 season from 28 points to 68 points on 05-06. I think its safe to say that he is in the top 15, at the least.

Btw, can't find any info on Erik Johnson, is he really that great? #1 on css ranking?
I think Toews and Mueller have both played better this year. The thing that intrigues scouts about Staal though is his potential. He showed a rapid development between year 1 and year 2 in the OHL. That excites scouts and they think his development will continue at a rapid pace, thus, vaulting him past guys like Mueller and Toews. Those two especially have outplayed Staal this year. Toews in college, and Mueller in the more defensive minded WHL, have put up similar point per game numbers in tougher situations.

Then again, the draft isn't a reward for what you've done this year, it's a prediction of what teams think you're capable of doing when you're 22 and older.

Classic case of this occurred in 1998, as many Montreal fans can attest.

Montreal takes Eric Chouinard 16th overall after he scores 41 goals and 42 assists for 83 points in 68 games for the Quebec Remparts. On the same team, Simon Gagne scores 30 goals and 39 assists for 69 points in 53 games.

Few people questioned the pick of Chouinard then because he put up better numbers, or did he? If you average it out to points per game, Gagne outperformed Chouinard. Gagne scored 1.3 points per game and Chouinard 1.22.

Chouinard was also bigger than Gagne and the Habs were probably intrigued by his pro size. However, they temporarily forgot that hockey is played on ice and underated Gagne's skating ability. That of course, is the biggest reason why Gagne has become an NHL star while Eric Chouinard is playing poorly with San Antonio of the AHL.

Who would you rather have now?

Jordan Staal has put up similar numbers to his brother Eric at the same age. Remember, Eric wasn't drafted until after his third year of junior because of a late birthday. Jordan will be drafted after his second year.

Staal deserves to be taken in this group of players: Johnson, Toews, Mueller, Backstrom, Kessel.

I think Johnson should go first because one scout told me he is the next Rob Blake. After that, it's a question of how good you think the other guys are going to get. Some teams will have different opinions than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->