Proposal: Jordan Staal for RNH

Vikingstad

**** the King
May 1, 2011
Vancouver
How would each team feel about a deal between the two?

Staal is older and less offensively gifted but better defensively and on the draw, RNH is younger and has more offensive potential while still being good defensively, bad on the dot.

Only problem I see is Staal has a longer contract, could make cap problems.

Thoughts?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Should be an easy yes for Oilers. Age to them doesnt matter.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Canes need to add a top-9 piece, not swap one. Doubt Edmonton is interested in LD futures so the teams aren't a good match.

Best I could see is Teravainen + pick/prospect

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I don't see it working for either team. Why:

Edmonton: In a vacuum Staal is way superior. Can they afford that cost and term? Especially with McD & Drai needing deals.

Car: Staal is better suited. He's better defensively.

Last edited:

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Staal would be a huge, huge loss for Carolina. He does ALL the heavy lifting defensively, is a premier PKer and faceoff guy, a monster in the possession/cycle game and does not need great linemates to play at a high level and take over games. And it's not like 45-50 points a year is dog meat. Hell if he was scoring 30-35 points a year he'd still be a hugely important player. He is worth every bit what the Canes pay him and more.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I'm not as quick to dismiss the idea as my fellow fans are. I don't think the trade would make the Canes a better team in the short-term, but it might be a smart long-term decision. Staal is about to turn 29 and is under contract for 6 more seasons. If he loses a step as he gets to his early to mid 30s, that contract will become difficult for a market like Carolina to handle. On the flip side, RNH is only 24 and under contract for 4 more seasons.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I would do it as a canes fan. I think the canes will need that money sooner than later with their budget being what it is and having so many younger guys needing contracts soon. I think the canes would be better off without the contract.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Staal's signed at the same cap number for one more year? I'd take Staal all day. Beast possession player. RNH is only moderately more productive.

Would the Canes seriously be willing to move Staal for cap space?

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Staal's signed at the same cap number for one more year? I'd take Staal all day. Beast possession player. RNH is only moderately more productive.

Would the Canes seriously be willing to move Staal for cap space?

No. There's planning for the future, but that's insanity.

The Canes are $7 million below the cap *floor* right now. They need to squirrel away about $12-14 million for RFA deals for Slavin/Pesce/Hanifin/TVR for 18-19, but they've only got $26 million on the books so far for that year.

Even if they want to still be a cap *floor* team at that point, they've still got $16-17 million to play with AFTER signing all the defensemen, which will be needed to sign maybe 6 forwards and a d-man, but at that point guys like Saarela, Roy, Gauthier, Wallmark, Elynuik, Kuokkanen, Zykov, Foegele, Bean, Fleury, Carrick, McKeown are coming in to fill, I'm guessing, most of those lineup spots on cheap contracts.

And there's nothing dictating they be a floor team, save for the state of the rebuild. They were never a floor team until the 14-15 season, they had an imposed budget below the cap but that was a number that was always still well above the floor.

Maybe in 3-4 years when those players are taking over the core of the team, then you trade Jordan Staal, but right now he's pretty central to the team's ability to be competitive, and they're probably good enough to make the playoffs this year.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad