Jordan Smith and Scott Lehman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Based soley on stats and very brief/vague scouting reports I have developed some interest in these two players (Jordan Smith of the SOO Greyhounds in the OHL and Scott Lehman of TOR ST Ms also in the O). has anyone seen them play/know anything about them/have any expectations as to where they will be drafted?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Just based on stats alone, its hard to figure out why css has them rated so low. Smith is rated at 51 and in 68 games this season he posted 6 goals and 20 assists along with 140 PIMs. Lehman scored 5 goals notched 26 assists while racking up 189 PIMs all in 66 games, still he is rated 87th. While I know that stats obviously aren't everything, I would still think that actual production counts for something. Kyle Wharton, a defensemen in the same league, is rated 13th even though he only had 14 points and 50 PIMs. I am guessing that Wharton is projected to improve his production, but is a 74 spot difference in ranking between him and Lehman fair? It very well may be, I really don't know anything about anything.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
rt said:
Based soley on stats and very brief/vague scouting reports I have developed some interest in these two players (Jordan Smith of the SOO Greyhounds in the OHL and Scott Lehman of TOR ST Ms also in the O). has anyone seen them play/know anything about them/have any expectations as to where they will be drafted?

Scott Lehman looks ok as long as he's skating forward with the puck. He is mistake prone when he is forced to move backward or laterally with the puck espically under pressure. He also had a tendency to hold onto the puck and try to make a play when he really should have just chipped it down ice(think Todd Gill if your an older Toronto fan). He was basically called on to replace Kevin Klein after his trade to Guelph and had a hard time adjusting. Also he takes alot of stupid penalties and is not as tough as his PIM might indicate. On the plus side he improved noticably by the end of the year and has good mobility but he always seems to take an extra couple of seconds to look around for a great play wether he has the time to or not.

Jordan Smith is a good solid OHL defenseman who takes care of his own end and plays a smart game. The only critism I have off him is that for me he doesn't have anything that sets him apart from about a dozen other OHL defensemen who play that same smart hardworking defensive game. I appreciate what he brings to the Soo but just don't see him making it to the next level.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
West said:
Jordan Smith is a good solid OHL defenseman who takes care of his own end and plays a smart game. The only critism I have off him is that for me he doesn't have anything that sets him apart from about a dozen other OHL defensemen who play that same smart hardworking defensive game. I appreciate what he brings to the Soo but just don't see him making it to the next level.

Smith's skating clearly sets him apart from most defenseman, he's rarely ever beaten in a foot race and is used as the shutdown defenseman against the oppositions best players. His physical play also stands out, he'll toss the big hits and isn't afraid to drop'em with anybody. Definite sleeper IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad