Recalled/Assigned: Jordan Schroeder sent down

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
On the trade call they mentioned that Schroeder was sent down to make room for Roy. I know that conflicts with what opendoor said so not sure... Whatever the case, we'll know by Thursday whether this is a roster shuffling move or actual re-assignment.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
On the trade call they mentioned that Schroeder was sent down to make room for Roy. I know that conflicts with what opendoor said so not sure... Whatever the case, we'll know by Thursday whether this is a roster shuffling move or actual re-assignment.

Yeah, the NHL guy pretty much directly said that Schroeder being reassigned allowed the trade to happen. It could be that he just wasn't paying attention to or mentioning Barker, but who knows.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
He'll probably fly to Chicago, report to the Wolves, turn around and head back to the airport once Barker clears. Interesting though that they would waive a D, Barker, instead of a forward like Ebbett or Sestito considering that Ballard is still out.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006

There are a few possibilities. It could be he was actually sent down to stay down. Or perhaps they anticipated adding Clowe and wanted to clear another spot. It's hard to tell right now. But technically Barker being placed on waivers could've cleared the space they needed for Roy if they'd wanted to keep Schroeder up. Not to mention Sweatt or Jensen could've also been sent down. Given that, I'm inclined to think this was a re-assignment, though who knows at this time of year.

For anyone interested, here's the CBA passage with some irrelevant stuff removed:

(b) If, as a result of: [...] (ii) a Club acquiring a Player ("Player A") via a Trade or Waiver claim, the Club would exceed its twenty-three (23) man Active Roster limit then, at the time the Player [...] is added to the Club's Active Roster (in the case of (ii)), the Club may request Waivers on a different Player ("Player B") and also the Club can simultaneously request Non- Roster status for such "Player B." Such request shall be made in writing by facsimile to Central Registry, with a copy to the NHLPA, all in accordance with Exhibit 3. Upon approval of the Commissioner, such "Player B" will be removed from the Club's Active Roster and the Club may replace such "Player B" with "Player A" on its Active Roster pending the expiration of the Waiver period set forth in Section 13.18.

crazyforhockey

Jul 31, 2007
if they were looking to add at least two more players...it was prudent to plan ahead..

they may have the new guys play to see what they have ..get a few games in for Schroeder befofe getting him back?....an if they dont get more bodies they can recall him

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver

I thought this was the intent and the video does seem to confirm it.

Did anyone read this tweet this morning and does it make any difference? And Connauton is shown as recalled by the Canucks on the AHL transaction page.

Chicago Wolves ‏@Chicago_Wolves 8h
BREAKING NEWS: Kevin Connauton has been recalled from the #chicagowolves as part of a VAN trade. Jordan Schroeder has been returned to CHI.

If they had to recall him, they would have had to sent someone down, right? Schroeder being that guy.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
They are just opening roster spots to have room for deals. We won't know if Schroeder is coming back until all the deals are done.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Relax. Ebbett is a temporary thing for a few games this week until Kesler is back. Once Kesler is back in the lineup, there's no room for Schroeder. Henrik-Kesler-Roy-Lapierre, and with one 5'9" Center in Roy already playing, i don't think we necessarily want another one. And as posters have griped about ad nauseum...Schroeder centering the 4th line is a total waste. He's not going to develop there, and Lapierre is going to have more positive impact in that role anyway.

So you have him playing in the minors and hope that he comes back up for the playoffs with the same sort of intensity boost and confidence he's had the last two times he's been called up this year.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
Relax. Ebbett is a temporary thing for a few games this week until Kesler is back. Once Kesler is back in the lineup, there's no room for Schroeder. Henrik-Kesler-Roy-Lapierre, and with one 5'9" Center in Roy already playing, i don't think we necessarily want another one. And as posters have griped about ad nauseum...Schroeder centering the 4th line is a total waste. He's not going to develop there, and Lapierre is going to have more positive impact in that role anyway.

So you have him playing in the minors and hope that he comes back up for the playoffs with the same sort of intensity boost and confidence he's had the last two times he's been called up this year.
you say that and than someone else gets injured and Ebbett is killing a PK against Kane/Toews/Hossa/Keith/Seabrook in the first round of the playoffs....

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
you say that and than someone else gets injured and Ebbett is killing a PK against Kane/Toews/Hossa/Keith/Seabrook in the first round of the playoffs....

There's no real reason for Ebbett to PK given that they're about to add Kesler and Roy to the line-up, both guys that PK. Kesler, Roy, Burrows, Higgins, Raymond, Lapierre... there's just no reason to think that Ebbett will be on the PK now that we have another center who can do it.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
There's no real reason for Ebbett to PK given that they're about to add Kesler and Roy to the line-up, both guys that PK. Kesler, Roy, Burrows, Higgins, Raymond, Lapierre... there's just no reason to think that Ebbett will be on the PK now that we have another center who can do it.
Especially since Ebbett faceoff ability is a fair bit worse than Roy's (who's medicore to begin with). There isn't anything Ebbett does that Roy can't do better (both offense or defense & Roy is hardly a Selke candidate).

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity

he can be like Seguin I don't think he played in every Boston game.......I would play Jordon when the opponent is a skill team but if it is physical team don't play him......

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

As an in-game thing, sure, maybe. But at the same time, when healthy i don't think Ebbett is even in the lineup either. And if it's a multi-game injury, you swap Schroeder in next game and hope he can get it done. Schroeder will be up with the team come playoffs. May not draw in to every game, but he will be there and with the way injuries happen, he will probably be needed at some point.

And Schroeder isn't going to be killing penalties anyway, even when he has been with the Canucks...AV doesn't have him killing penalties. So i'm not really sure what that has to do with Ebbett.

No reason doesn't mean AV won't make it happen though. :laugh:

he can be like Seguin I don't think he played in every Boston game.......I would play Jordon when the opponent is a skill team but if it is physical team don't play him......

I'd think that's the idea at least. He'll be the youngster there for depth purposes. If there's an injury, Schroeder will slot in. The downside is, unlikely Seguin, Schroeder isn't particularly useful as a winger. It's sort of...center or bust for him. which makes it trickier to just slot him in here or there.

Nov 1, 2011
Especially since Ebbett faceoff ability is a fair bit worse than Roy's (who's medicore to begin with). There isn't anything Ebbett does that Roy can't do better (both offense or defense & Roy is hardly a Selke candidate).

To be fair, Roy has finished 14th in voting for the Selke one year...I think that represents a level of defense far above what most Canucks fans are expecting.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
As an in-game thing, sure, maybe. But at the same time, when healthy i don't think Ebbett is even in the lineup either. And if it's a multi-game injury, you swap Schroeder in next game and hope he can get it done. Schroeder will be up with the team come playoffs. May not draw in to every game, but he will be there and with the way injuries happen, he will probably be needed at some point.

And Schroeder isn't going to be killing penalties anyway, even when he has been with the Canucks...AV doesn't have him killing penalties. So i'm not really sure what that has to do with Ebbett.

Just saying... as long as Ebbett is around... AV will have him killing penalties no matter the line up with have. So i prefer Ebbett off the team as a result. Just because of AV.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad