Recalled/Assigned: Jordan Schroeder sent down

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Not unexpected. All in all i think it's been a pretty decent year for Schroeder. He showed he does have what it takes to play in the NHL. He has had some good extended exposure at the NHL level to know exactly what he needs to work on to become a full time NHLer next year.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Jensen and Sweatt will get a game or two more to show what they have to offer, IMO. Ultimately, both will end up back in Chicago unless they force the issue.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Given that they waived Barker, this seems like a purely 'roster shuffling' move. (Otherwise there was no reason to waive Barker.)

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Jensen and Sweatt will get a game or two more to show what they have to offer, IMO. Ultimately, both will end up back in Chicago unless they force the issue.

I agree, wouldn't be surprised to see Schroeder back or not to be perfectly honest. I don't think this move necessarily means he is in the AHL for good this year though

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Given that they waived Barker, this seems like a purely 'roster shuffling' move. (Otherwise there was no reason to waive Barker.)

Won't Schroeder stay in Vancouver if this is the case? If so then we should know if he stays here or actually goes to Chicago

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
The writing was the on the wall. Management clearly not confident in Schroeder at this point in his career. That is one of the reasons why they brought up Jensen and moved Burrows to centre.

Schroeder needs to find a way to contribute more offensively. While his defensive game is good, he isn't a very valuable player as a soft, undersized but defensively reliable centre that cannot create offensive chances and isn't good in the faceoff circle.

Showed some good signs though and hopefully he can develop his offensive game more in the AHL.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
It's hard to figure out what they're doing. Barker being on waivers would clear the room for Roy and I can't see them keeping Jensen and Sweatt up through the deadline because that means they won't be able to loan them to the AHL afterwards. I guess we'll soon find out.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
It's hard to figure out what they're doing. Barker being on waivers would clear the room for Roy and I can't see them keeping Jensen and Sweatt up through the deadline because that means they won't be able to loan them to the AHL afterwards. I guess we'll soon find out.

Might simply be clearing bodies they can clear so they have the greatest flexibility they can for the next 24 hours to add bodies. They clearly decided Barker was simply not playable in the crunch so they waived him. Schroeder doesn't have to clear waivers and with the Roy acquisition they can get by without him

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Might simply be clearing bodies they can clear so they have the greatest flexibility they can for the next 24 hours to add bodies. They clearly decided Barker was simply not playable in the crunch so they waived him. Schroeder doesn't have to clear waivers and with the Roy acquisition they can get by without him

Maybe, but there are enough non-waiver eligible guys that are probably getting sent down anyway that they could easily make room when a trade is made. Schroeder being sent down now makes me wonder if another trade is coming in today.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON

Unless I misunderstand, they need the roster spot for Roy now. Barker's is going to be available 24 hours too late. That's why Schroeder got waived right before the trade call happened.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I'd assume that at a minimum Gillis wants the extra space to at least make a trade if one materializes. Or maybe a trade is already in the works and he's creating the room to close it tomorrow. I'd be shocked if we don't pick up at least some depth tomorrow.

arsmaster*

Schroeder being a go-to guy with the Wolves will make him a better player for our playoff run.

Hope this is just roster shuffling, but I'm trying to see the positives.

Ebbett is awful.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Unless I misunderstand, they need the roster spot for Roy now. Barker's is going to be available 24 hours too late. That's why Schroeder got waived right before the trade call happened.

You can temporarily exceed the roster limit due to an acquisition if you put someone on waivers. The player on waivers (in this case Barker) is deemed non-roster and you don't have to make a move until he clears or is claimed.

CookieCrumbs*

Kesler isn't back next week. He hasn't even skated yet!

I really like Schroeder, hopefully he's back up soon.

Sedin
Roy
Schroeder
Lapierre

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Isn't there some sort of rule that would require Schroeder to be down at the deadline to be AHL playoff eligible? I may be way off here, but if I'm not, it would explain this.

Even still though, right now Kassian has nobody to play with down there. Let him and Schroeder gain some confidence together and call em up in another 4 games or so .

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Isn't there some sort of rule that would require Schroeder to be down at the deadline to be AHL playoff eligible? I may be way off here, but if I'm not, it would explain this.

Even still though, right now Kassian has nobody to play with down there. Let him and Schroeder gain some confidence together and call em up in another 4 games or so .

I expect him and Kassian to be back up soon enough. If he does play games for the Wolves in the mean time, I fully look forward to those two getting 2nd line minutes behind 1st line center Andrew Gordon and ****ing All-Star Darren Haydar.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver

If that was so, you'd expect they'd do the same with Jensen and Sweatt.

You can temporarily exceed the roster limit due to an acquisition if you put someone on waivers. The player on waivers (in this case Barker) is deemed non-roster and you don't have to make a move until he clears or is claimed.

Do they need the cap space to fit Roy in (I doubt it given their LTIR space)? Otherwise, I don't get it unless they just wanted him to get into tonight's game. Rosters expand tomorrow anyway and they could fit him in then.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON

I find it strange that they would just waive Barker with no immediate replacement. Especially since they have Sweatt and Jensen who can be sent down. The Canucks website also seems to be reporting this as 'making room for Roy'. We'll see by Thursday, I guess.

Don't really care either way. AHL will be good for him to keep learning.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
Really want Ebbett off this team. He's an AHL player...

Last edited:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Makes lots of sense for quite a few reasons.

Firstly...

he played pretty good for the first couple games then was a non factor after that. give him more time in the minors

This. Schroeder still needs to find a way to keep his intensity level up where it needs to be over longer stretches. Came up with some jump both times, but kind of tapered off over time both call ups.

More importantly though, waiver exempt means we can stash him in the minors playing lots of minutes, while stockpiling extra NHL depth. He'll still be available as extra depth come playoffs, and we don't have to risk losing someone (even as underwhelming as Ebbett) on waivers.

With Derek Roy coming in, he fills the exact same niche as Schroeder...but is better at it right now. So with Kesler also coming back soon, there's just no room...but that's a good thing. We have Center depth that actually overflows into the AHL again.

So unless we were planning on stacking Schroeder on top of Roy to create a 'full-sized' Center or something...sending Schroeder down makes lots of sense. :laugh:

Wizeman*

Correct me if I am wrong , but once the deadline passes or the season ends etc........ there is no more salary cap and you can recall the entire Wolves roster can you not?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad