Recalled/Assigned: Jordan Schroeder sent down, Andrew Ebbett called up

Outside99*

I'm willing to give Ebbett the benefit of the doubt as he's only played 41 ES minutes this year, 30% with 4th liners. As I posted earlier, he has the ability to produce offensively, at least serviceably so, with decent linemates. I don't think the play will die on his stick.

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
Not necessarily true. Hodgson's AHL numbers were mediocre as well.

The talent is there, the production isn't. But the opportunity was very limited and he was misused on the PP and bounced around the lineup, finally settling in with Weise and Sestito.

Comparing to Hodgson then at AHL level:

Jordan Schroeder - 0.56 points per game
Cody Hodgson - 0.69 points per game

Cody Hodgson AHL season at 22 yrs old, point per game player.
Jordan Schroeder AHL season at 22 yrs old, 19 pts in 30 games.

Then you take into consideration the lack of size and Schroeder should be producing at a higher clip to show real NHL potential.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
I think playing in the AHL 20 minutes a night is better than less than 10 mins and playing with plugs over skilled players.......Jensen and Schroeder would be interesting to watch

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
What happened was Kesler came back and AV broke up the Ray-JS-Hansen line to better accommodate Kesler. As a result he fixed something that wasn't broken and ruined that 3rd line, didnt make Kesler anymore productive in ES minutes as a result, and disrupted the development of Schroeder who was adjusting nicely while Vancouver was winning games. What puzzled me most is that AV never went back to that 3rd line. After Kesler got hurt you'd think since that opened up another center spot that would potentially give Schroeder a promotion, instead the next game he gets a demotion and a natural winger gets thrown in his center spot? Talk about a mind-f@&#.

Pretty much this.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Given AV's comments before the Wild game, I had the impression that Schroeder would have been sent down Saturday had they not been playing in his home state Sunday. AV was hoping that playing there would spark him, but he continued to struggle. I wasn't surprised by this move at all.

He got 21 shots on net in 22 games. His shooting pct, 9.5%, was fine, he just needed to generate more shots. He was 44% in the faceoff dot, 100 wins, 127 losses. If he could get his faceoff pct above 50%, he would probably be getting that extra shot per game that he needs to get his offensive numbers up and to justify sticking around.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Comparing to Hodgson then at AHL level:

Jordan Schroeder - 0.56 points per game
Cody Hodgson - 0.69 points per game

Cody Hodgson AHL season at 22 yrs old, point per game player.
Jordan Schroeder AHL season at 22 yrs old, 19 pts in 30 games.

Then you take into consideration the lack of size and Schroeder should be producing at a higher clip to show real NHL potential.

Pretty sure your numbers are off, at 22, Cody had .57 ppg with the moose, (30 points in 52 games). It was not until this season playing for a team that is much higher in scoring, that his ppg increased. For comparable, Kassian was at a ppg playing for the same farm team, then produced at a much slower pace playing for the Wolves.

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
Pretty sure your numbers are off, at 22, Cody had .57 ppg with the moose, (30 points in 52 games). It was not until this season playing for a team that is much higher in scoring, that his ppg increased. For comparable, Kassian was at a ppg playing for the same farm team, then produced at a much slower pace playing for the Wolves.

Hodgson turned 22 February 2012, so part of last season, most of this season, where he posted 19pts in 19 games for Rochester.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I dont understand why AV wouldnt go back to the lineup that got them the winning record.. He's so stupid.

I keep seeing this idea bandied about...But what people aren't considering, is that you can't just revert to previous state and 'success mode', because the situation around the league has changed. When we were 'winning' with that lineup, it was fresh off the lockout and the rest of the league was also struggling to find chemistry, shake off the rust, learn systems, etc. The level of competition was closer to preseason hockey than real NHL regular season levels. Combine that with the way Schroeder's own intensity dropped off of late, and it's just not a realistic scenario.

So while it might not have hurt to try that lineup again...it's doubtful it would've worked like a lot of people are assuming.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Hodgson turned 22 February 2012, so part of last season, most of this season, where he posted 19pts in 19 games for Rochester.

Schroeder scored more goals this season (even accounting for the number of games). Considering how much higher scoring team Rochester is and considering they play run and gun, it shouldn't surprise anyone that there was a difference. It wasn't as big as some here are implying though.

MajorCanuck

Cup Please
Dec 30, 2011
Surrey, BC
I keep seeing this idea bandied about...But what people aren't considering, is that you can't just revert to previous state and 'success mode', because the situation around the league has changed. When we were 'winning' with that lineup, it was fresh off the lockout and the rest of the league was also struggling to find chemistry, shake off the rust, learn systems, etc. The level of competition was closer to preseason hockey than real NHL regular season levels. Combine that with the way Schroeder's own intensity dropped off of late, and it's just not a realistic scenario.

So while it might not have hurt to try that lineup again...it's doubtful it would've worked like a lot of people are assuming.

So basically all the teams are playing with playoff intensity now and the nucks are getting out worked? Sounds like our playoffs from last to series.:sarcasm:

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Schroeder scored more goals this season (even accounting for the number of games). Considering how much higher scoring team Rochester is and considering they play run and gun, it shouldn't surprise anyone that there was a difference. It wasn't as big as some here are implying though.

Might have been you but I seem to recall someone stating that Cody played on the 1st unit PP in Rochester; while Jordan was on the 2nd PP unit in Chicago. Course, maybe I'm just imagining things.:laugh:

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
There are plenty of undersized centers in the AHL who post point-per-game numbers and still cannot crack a NHL line-up.

The fact Schroeder's offensive numbers really haven't blossomed at the AHL level is concerning, he is in his third pro year now. Maybe he goes back to Chicago and has something to work towards now that he has had a taste.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
There are plenty of undersized centers in the AHL who post point-per-game numbers and still cannot crack a NHL line-up.

The fact Schroeder's offensive numbers really haven't blossomed at the AHL level is concerning, he is in his third pro year now. Maybe he goes back to Chicago and has something to work towards now that he has had a taste.

and someone talent to play with.....hopefully he has good rest of the year in the AHL and can be recalled again

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Given AV's comments before the Wild game, I had the impression that Schroeder would have been sent down Saturday had they not been playing in his home state Sunday. AV was hoping that playing there would spark him, but he continued to struggle. I wasn't surprised by this move at all.

He got 21 shots on net in 22 games. His shooting pct, 9.5%, was fine, he just needed to generate more shots. He was 44% in the faceoff dot, 100 wins, 127 losses. If he could get his faceoff pct above 50%, he would probably be getting that extra shot per game that he needs to get his offensive numbers up and to justify sticking around.

Burrows: 46%
Ebbett: 45%
Schroeder: 44%
Higgins: 36%
Raymond: 34%
Hansen: 8%

So we have no centers....and we are sending one down to call one up? Here's a brilliant idea - bring up Ebbett and make him center the 4th line. Put the burner line back together with Schroeder. We have 4 centers - like magic!

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Schroeder averaged 13:23 minutes per game, including almost 3 minutes of PP time as a 22 year-old rookie and failed to get .25 PPG. Those minutes compare favorably with what Sedins were given at 19. They got near .5 PPG, but, more importantly, from the outset they either generated legit scoring chances or spent a lot of time in the opposition zone.

I view generating scoring chances, apart from actually scoring, as the most important indicator of a future would be scorer's potential. Even now, despite his long slump, Kassian is generating a good chance or two per game but I can't say the same about Schroeder.

He's gotten his shot. It wasn't perfect. I, too, can't comprehend using him on the point since he either doesn't have a good slap shot or is unwilling to use it, and, of course, he could have had better line-mates and more time to gel with them. But he wasn't set up to fail either. Just wasn't creating any chances.

He's got a lot of work to do if he wants to stick around longer next time.

ruiner

Feb 20, 2013
I don't recall offhand who the Sedins were playing with at first but I can imagine that Daniel Henrik ______ was a far better line than Weise Schroeder Sestito.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Schroeder averaged 13:23 minutes per game, including almost 3 minutes of PP time as a 22 year-old rookie and failed to get .25 PPG. Those minutes compare favorably with what Sedins were given at 19. They got near .5 PPG, but, more importantly, from the outset they either generated legit scoring chances or spent a lot of time in the opposition zone.

I view generating scoring chances, apart from actually scoring, as the most important indicator of a future would be scorer's potential. Even now, despite his long slump, Kassian is generating a good chance or two per game but I can't say the same about Schroeder.

He's gotten his shot. It wasn't perfect. I, too, can't comprehend using him on the point since he either doesn't have a good slap shot or is unwilling to use it, and, of course, he could have had better line-mates and more time to gel with them. But he wasn't set up to fail either. Just wasn't creating any chances.

Switch where kassian and Schroeder are playing, and I bet you would be saying the opposit.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006

It's pointless to compare JS with the Sedins, who were stars at the WC in their draft year, and consensus franchise quality talents.

He hasn't gotten "his shot" at all. 20 games of getting bounced around the lineup and misused is pathetic coaching.

And FWIW, I'm not saying JS is going to be a bonafide #2C or even anything much at all at the NHL level. I just do not see the point of sending him down for Andrew ****ing Ebbett.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
Well I think its scary that he couldn't earn more ice time when both Kesler and malhotra were out. There is zero C depth on this team, it will never be this thin and he still worked his way down the line up, didn't produce, looked tiny out there, and didn't impress.

Can't give up on the kid but him being our number 1 C prospect is not cool.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Haven’t given up on the kid but obviously the likelihood of him becoming top 6 in the show has taken a hit.

Not a fan of AV overall, the constant line juggling in particular, but I think he does have good handle on who’s going and allocating ice time accordingly. Schroeder was trending in the wrong direction and it was only recently that he was on the 4th. More seasoning is warranted.

Ebbett brings (tiny) bit more production, plus had some success on the PP last year and kills penalties.

I concur, our centre depth sucks.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

They were drafted one year apart so you can't really compare their 2012-13 AHL seasons. But even then, he still scored more goals than him anyway. If you were looking to compare whole seasons, Schroeder outscored Hodgson at the same age - 0.579 PPG in 2011-12 vs. 0.577 PPG in 2010-11.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010

it might not hurt is damn right. if you losing games try changes something. yet AV never tried it so we will never know. I mean he just keep going with the same line up with only changes from lappy 2nd/3rd centre.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad