Confirmed with Link: Jordan Schmaltz Traded for Andreas Borgman

Spear

Anonymous source FOR HIRE
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Why would you call him borgy when you can call him borger???

Or just, The BORG

giphy.gif

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I have mixed feelings about this trade. In the end, I honestly think we got the better player, so I can't really complain too loudly. :) However, we only had two RD prospects, and we trade one for a LD? We have Dunn, Bouwmeester, Gunnarsson, Edmundson, Pouliot and now Borgman on LD. We also have Mikkola, Perunovich and Walman in the system. Couldn't you find another RD prospect, Doug?:laugh:

Last edited:

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
I have mixed feelings about this trade. In the end, I honestly think we got the better player, so I can't really complain too loudly. :) However, we only had two RD prospects, and we trade one for a LD? We have Dunn, Bouwmeester, Gunnarsson, Edmundson, Pouliot and now Borgman on LD. We also have Mikkola, Perunovich and Walman in the system. Couldn't you find another RD prospect, Doug?:laugh:

Bouwmeester and Gunnar are ancient and have been injury prone the last couple years.
Eddy couldn't keep himself in the lineup last year.
Pouliot has been incredibly inconsistent throughout his NHL career.
Mikkola and Walman are completely untested.
Perunovich isn't even in the mix yet.

Dunn is the only LHD on the roster that can really be considered "reliable". We definitely need some viable depth there. Let's not forget; even with all the supposed depth we had lat year, we still had to have Butler play 14 games.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Doug found a RD, just not a prospect.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
Another good trade by DA. Also, if we wanna keep our 3 RD longterm, we will need serviceable LD on cheapish contracts, Borg could fit that mold.

Reactions: Blueston

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I've really liked what I've seen from Borgman so far in the preseason. If he can stay healthy, he can absolutely play on an NHL bottom pairing and perform well IMO.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Well, didn't take long for Jordan "Bust" Schmaltz to prove to people that pretty much nobody is a downgrade from him. He's awful.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Well, didn't take long for Jordan "Bust" Schmaltz to prove to people that pretty much nobody is a downgrade from him. He's awful.

I was about to say I thought he was serviceable in the "few NHL games" he's had, but the dude played TWENTY games for the Blues last season and I have no memory of that. Either he's one of the most forgettable players I've seen or I blocked it out because their record during that span was so bad.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I was about to say I thought he was serviceable in the "few NHL games" he's had, but the dude played TWENTY games for the Blues last season and I have no memory of that. Either he's one of the most forgettable players I've seen or I blocked it out because their record during that span was so bad.
He's really that forgettable. He's an 'offensive' defensemen that doesn't provide offense so he basically does nothing.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Schmaltz on waivers today. Borgman not only looking good but he is waivers exempt too. Minor trade but this definitely looking like a win for us.
He’ll clear waivers, so it’s not that bad for Toronto. Maybe they’ll end up calling him up as depth. In that sense they’re both still simply NHL depth players, just opposite sides.

But I’d rather have Borgman.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Schmaltz on waivers today. Borgman not only looking good but he is waivers exempt too. Minor trade but this definitely looking like a win for us.

Leafs sent him packing to give him an opportunity...as well they wanted a RD.

Even if the Leafs still had him, he wouldn't have made their Nhl roster. Borgman seemed to be an ok player for the leafs in the nhl... but for some reason Babcock didn't seem to like him, and in the AHL I'm pretty sure Keefe didnt even have him sniff his top pairing. For this reason I'm curious to see how Borgs pans out in the NHL this time around.(mind you he's been pretty injury prone)

If schmaltz is serviceable RH option for the Marlies in the Ahl... then it's a good trade for the Leafs too.

* EDIT thought this was the main board.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Leafs sent him packing to give him an opportunity...as well they wanted a RD.

Even if the Leafs still had him, he wouldn't have made their Nhl roster. Borgman seemed to be an ok player for the leafs in the nhl... but for some reason Babcock didn't seem to like him, and in the AHL I'm pretty sure Keefe didnt even have him sniff his top pairing. For this reason I'm curious to see how Borgs pans out in the NHL this time around.(mind you he's been pretty injury prone)

If schmaltz is serviceable RH option for the Marlies in the Ahl... then it's a good trade for the Leafs too.

* EDIT thought this was the main board.
That sounds about right. Schmaltz had run out of rope here. Maybe they both benefit from change of scenery and trade is a win for both. Neither side risked much by dealing guy they no longer had in plans.

Reactions: Antropovsky

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
You're a habs fan

LMAO

And this is a Blues board. Away with you.

Anyway, the trade looks good. I’ve no doubt Army had a feeling he was always going to move Edmundson and the Borg has had a promising camp. Might not pay dividends this season but a year from now at the latest, I think he’s a bottom 4 defender for the cost of one of the rare complete busts we’ve drafted early.

Crazy Monkey

Aug 9, 2009
And this is a Blues board. Away with you.

Anyway, the trade looks good. I’ve no doubt Army had a feeling he was always going to move Edmundson and the Borg has had a promising camp. Might not pay dividends this season but a year from now at the latest, I think he’s a bottom 4 defender for the cost of one of the rare complete busts we’ve drafted early.

Originally thought it was the main board. Not that it matters given the content of the thread. And especially since I like St Louis...

Not sure why you felt obliged to reply.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
There are still 7 defensive players ahead of Borgman and Mikkola on the depth chart. Neither starts in Edmundson’s spot.

How could I have forgotten about Boom Boom Gunnarsson? Borgman didn't make the team, but he impressed the coach, it seems from Berube's comments.

Gunnarsson is often injured, so I'm sure we'll get to see Borgman a lot this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad