Confirmed with Link: Jordan Schmaltz Traded for Andreas Borgman

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I didn't say Schmaltz is great, but he's better than Borgman, damn. If you're going to give up on Schmaltz (which isn't wrong), at least get a pick, rather than a dude who has basically no upside.
I don't know how you can say he is better than Borgman when Borgman was hurt for multiple parts of the season. Physical dman who can skate, move the puck, and has some decent offensive upside. I feel like Schmaltz was always passive in the NHL which probably hurt him a bit. Borgman was decent for the leafs when he first came up, but I think the transition to NA hockey hurt him a little on the defensive side. He's likely insurance for the Blues in the event that we have to trade Eddy and/or when Bouw/Gunnar are hurt. He's a nice project that if he works out, he's at least a top 6 guy, maybe a top 4 or 5 if he can improve on defense. He's always had an ability to move the puck, just never mesmerized anyone with points.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
That's a pretty huge downgrade. Not sure why Army did this other than to save the dollars from burying Schmaltz in the minors.

Disagree it’s a downgrade, certainly not a huge one. Actually think it could be a small upgrade. Schmaltz couldn’t beat out Bortuzzo for years and it’s now clear he had been passed over by Reinke as well.

We could use all the depth we can on the left side. After Dunn, we’re counting on two older guys both who have had major injury problems in the past 18 months and a guy in Edmundson who is coming off a really underwhelming season.

And to top it off, he’s waiver eligible for one more year where Schmaltz was not.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Are we that tight of cap so it does matter IF we have 700k more cap flexibility?

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Are we that tight of cap so it does matter IF we have 700k more cap flexibility?
We dont save any cap space.

Neither counts against cap if in minors as first million is deducted from players cap if they are in minirs.

Capfriendly and some websites thinks it saves cap space because since schmaltz isnt waiver exempt and on 1 way contract, those sites were counting him as if he was going to be on our opening day roster when he never was. Therefore he wouldnt actually count against our cap.

Waiver exempt of borgman is key though cuz we could have list schmaltz to waivers for nothing.

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
The day Jordan Schmaltz cleared waivers was one of my favorite Blues twitter days ever. There was a mass funeral for all the Schmaltz truthers that day.

I have nothing against him beyond being disappointed that a first round pick didn’t work out but yeah a small group of fans WAY overrated him and that was satisfying to see them realize just how low his value was that even for free, he wasn’t wanted on an NHL roster

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Leafs fan here, does Schmaltz have any experience at killing penalties (even in the minors)?

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Also, he won the SHL championship with HV71 in 2016-2017, and the AHL Calder Cup in 2018-2019.

Follows the pattern @RampageNate identified with our AHL signings at the opening of free agency. We’re bringing in champs

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Can someone give me a report on Schmaltz? What are leafs fans getting

The clock ran out on him here, and he’s been boxed out by Parayko and Pietrangelo and Bortuzzo on the right side. When he was called up, he never seized the opportunity, and wasn’t able to really play the bottom pairing role like we needed/wanted him to.

That said, he’s a puck-moving dman who has been a PP contributor at the AHL level. If I could use one word to describe his game, it would be “undistinguished.” There just isn’t anything he does really well, but he’s passable at everything. Not overly physical, but has thrown some hits. Good skater, but isn’t going to carry it end-to-end. Can move the puck, but his IQ isn’t super high. Has a good, accurate shot, but seems shy to use it. Can play defense, but you probably don’t want him matched up against top players. It’s just sort of hard to identify who he is as a player. With a bigger / more steady role, maybe he finally grows into himself, but right now, it’s hard to project what that looks like.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Saves actual $ but no cap impact between the 2 players if in SA
This. "Cap savings" from this trade only count during the offseason, and it's not like we were pressing the offseason cap with its 10% allowed overage by any stretch. Hell, we weren't even pressing the non-overage cap.

Capfriendly and some websites thinks it saves cap space because since schmaltz isnt waiver exempt and on 1 way contract, those sites were counting him as if he was going to be on our opening day roster when he never was. Therefore he wouldnt actually count against our cap.
Also this. I have always hated how most sites run the cap in the offseason, because it ends up being misleading to the point of being confusing and causing users to start with terrible assumptions and then draw even worse conclusions. When I ran my site, I made it a best-guess representation of who was likely to be on the regular season roster to start and outlined who wasn't counting and why not. It was much closer to being accurate and avoided crap like how will [team] get under the cap? knowing that a few million dollars wasn't going to count from Day 1 of the season forward.

Waiver exempt of borgman is key though cuz we could have list schmaltz to waivers for nothing.
Schmaltz has cleared every other time he's been put on waivers. There's zero reason to think he'd suddenly get claimed this year after getting however many games he got last year and showing he wasn't an NHL defenseman [unless we're putting all kinds of weight on the assist.]

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
This. "Cap savings" from this trade only count during the offseason, and it's not like we were pressing the offseason cap with its 10% allowed overage by any stretch. Hell, we weren't even pressing the non-overage cap.

Also this. I have always hated how most sites run the cap in the offseason, because it ends up being misleading to the point of being confusing and causing users to start with terrible assumptions and then draw even worse conclusions. When I ran my site, I made it a best-guess representation of who was likely to be on the regular season roster to start and outlined who wasn't counting and why not. It was much closer to being accurate and avoided crap like how will [team] get under the cap? knowing that a few million dollars wasn't going to count from Day 1 of the season forward.

Schmaltz has cleared every other time he's been put on waivers. There's zero reason to think he'd suddenly get claimed this year after getting however many games he got last year and showing he wasn't an NHL defenseman [unless we're putting all kinds of weight on the assist.]
He doesn’t necessarily count on offseason cap either just that web sites like capfriendly list him on our roster for cap purposes.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
The day Jordan Schmaltz cleared waivers was one of my favorite Blues twitter days ever. There was a mass funeral for all the Schmaltz truthers that day.

I have nothing against him beyond being disappointed that a first round pick didn’t work out but yeah a small group of fans WAY overrated him and that was satisfying to see them realize just how low his value was that even for free, he wasn’t wanted on an NHL roster
I was just hoping that if we wouldn't use him, we'd get a decent asset given he wasn't a known commodity (kinda). I was hoping to get like a 3rd or something, but Borgman is a fine return for a guy we'd never use.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Berube will love Borgman. Our LD situation is pretty deep and he's a pretty damn good player who needs to get some consistent playing time in the NHL. Just wondering how Schmaltz and what his strengths and weaknesses?

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I was just hoping that if we wouldn't use him, we'd get a decent asset given he wasn't a known commodity (kinda). I was hoping to get like a 3rd or something, but Borgman is a fine return for a guy we'd never use.

I think that ship sailed when he failed not once, not twice, but three times to establish himself over Robert Bortuzzo.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
He doesn’t necessarily count on offseason cap either just that web sites like capfriendly list him on our roster for cap purposes.
Because of how the cap is calculated in the offseason, he counts against the cap since he's on a 1-way contract. So if you want to know how much cap space everyone has on July 25, then you count him. For practical purposes - like say, where everyone stands when the season actually starts - you wouldn't count him. However, CapFriendly can't decide which way it wants to present information and doesn't provide the alternative [realistic] look, so it leaves everyone confused.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Theres a reason we called Borgman, cyborg or cyborgman. He skates well, hits hard, isnt huge but is strong as a ox. Injuries and depth chart(leafs lhd is very deep as opposed to there poopy rhd) have kept Borgman off the roster.

Hes a solid dman. Could carve out a career as a 4 or 5 if he can stay healthy and play at pre injury levels.

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
Schmaltz wasn't going to make the Blues after years of being in our system. We traded him for another defenseman that has potential, but may end up being stuck down on the Rampage. I don't see this as a bad trade, one way or the other. I hope both players advance their chances to play in the NHL.

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I almost feel guilty now. I have been a Schmaltz detractor since he was drafted. (I hated the decision to draft him, and said as much at the time. I really wanted Brady Skjei, who was still on the board.) In any case, I hope he does well in Toronto. He needed a change of scenery. On the main boards thread, a Leaf fan posted that Borgman has suffered three concussions. If this is true it is worrisome.

Last edited:

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Can someone give me a report on Schmaltz? What are leafs fans getting
Don’t let his draft pedigree cloud your expectations.

He’s a mediocre offensive defenseman who failed to make any headway in the organization after getting to the AHL. He cleared waivers last year, and would undoubtedly be on waivers before the end of training camp again.

Granted the Blues have Pietro and Parayko on the right side, so maybe the Blues were just a bad fit for him to get much of a role. But he couldn’t outplay Bortuzzo.

I’m pretty sure he requested a trade last year.

I wish him luck. Maybe he has more than he’s shown here, but I will be surprised if he makes the Leafs regular roster. I’m not terribly high on Borgman, but pleased to get a waiver exempt guy who is a fringe NHLer for organizational depth.

Reactions: Blueston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->