Confirmed with Link: Jordan Schmaltz Traded for Andreas Borgman

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
That's a pretty huge downgrade. Not sure why Army did this other than to save the dollars from burying Schmaltz in the minors.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
I don't mind trading Schmaltz, I just prefered to get a pick instead of another depth lefthanded defender. O well...

Schmaltz was waived and didn't get claimed last year so how exactly were we going to get a pick?

I'm counting my chickens before they hatch but I wonder if the blues see Mikolla as close to ready for NHL duty on the left side and this replenishes the left side for the Rampage a bit. Like I said, getting way ahead of myself here, probably just the whole waivers thing, and nothing more...

Reactions: 67Blues

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I always liked Schmaltz, but the writing was on the wall when the Blues re-signed Bortuzzo for 3 years. Good luck in Toronto, though I'm not sure there is much of an NHL career that he will be able to carve out.

Reactions: stlwahoo

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
That's a pretty huge downgrade. Not sure why Army did this other than to save the dollars from burying Schmaltz in the minors.

I don’t think it’s a downgrade. Borgman is a good player, and fits our model of a dman a lot better than Schmaltz did. Offensive upside is limited, but he’s got it in him to contribute. Scouting report is that he’s a physical dman who can skate, win puck battles, and transition the puck. A bit smaller than we typically like, although with Dunn, Reinke, and Perunovich, that is changing a bit. His problem has been injuries that have kept him from seizing opportunities in TOR.

If anything, this is a lateral move, swapping a righty for a lefty, and considering how Reinke has passed Schmaltz on the depth chart, Schmaltz is waiver-eligible, and Schmaltz has basically zero opportunity for advancement here behind Petro, Parayko, and Bortz, it makes sense.

J-Bo and Gunnar are gone soon, Edmundson may be gone before the season starts, and our only other NHL-ready LHD options are Mikkola and Pouliot. Borgman was well-regarded by the Leafs, so it’s a decent risk to take. Something for nothing. Not really dropping the boom on the Richter scale, but it’s something.

LBlues24

May 3, 2017
Saves us some cap space if I’m understanding correctly. Borgman has some nice tools, seen him play up here a few times. Unfortunately hasn’t been able to stay healthy, we’ll see!

Reminds me a little of the Polak/Gunnar swap, in terms of acquiring more of a depth LHD defenceman for a RHD. And I like how that one turned out for us :)

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Ah yes, didn’t take long for a post like this.

I’ll never understand why anyone thinks Schmaltz is good or how anyone is a “huge downgrade” from an AHL player but hey, here we are. Schmaltz was a 1st round pick 7 years ago so that must cancel out his atrocious defensive play and advanced stats.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
His physicality intrigues me, although Leaf fans are saying that diminished after his injury. That injury and subsequent demotion to the minors seems to have really affected his confidence. (Again, according to Leaf fans). I am glad to see Schmaltz get a change of scenery. He was not going anywhere in St. Louis.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Schmaltz had no future here. Team never felt confident playing him (for good reason I think) and he seemed to not give a crap after last demotion. I would point out we now have 3 guys with some experience who could potentially be our 7D if we deal Eddy.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
giphy.gif

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
Ah yes, didn’t take long for a post like this.

I’ll never understand why anyone thinks Schmaltz is good or how anyone is a “huge downgrade” from an AHL player but hey, here we are. Schmaltz was a 1st round pick 7 years ago so that must cancel out his atrocious defensive play and advanced stats.

I didn't say Schmaltz is great, but he's better than Borgman, damn. If you're going to give up on Schmaltz (which isn't wrong), at least get a pick, rather than a dude who has basically no upside.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
I didn't say Schmaltz is great, but he's better than Borgman, damn. If you're going to give up on Schmaltz (which isn't wrong), at least get a pick, rather than a dude who has basically no upside.
Have you honestly ever heard of Borgman before this trade, or did you just go to elite prospects and look at his goals and assists?

Blues aren't exactly deep on the back end either, I got no problem with getting a body back instead of a 6th or 7th round pick.

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio

Because depth matters. Schmaltz's trade value was almost nothing (6th/7th rounder). This move allows them to have roster flexibility since Borgman doesn't require waivers and also saves about half million in salary cap.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Schmaltz had a few good showings, but he had his opportunities and could never string anything together.

Last season we were wasting $2.7m on Jeřábek, Thorburn & Soshnikov in the AHL. The eight new players to the organisation in the AHL will be on around $2m. We're right to look to lose the $700k salary if we simply don't see him as an NHL option, that money can be better used at that level.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes

If we could have gotten a pick, we likely would have. Schmaltz is bad. It's not a given that there were options in regards to moving him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad