Value of: Jordan Oesterle to Toronto?

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I've found him to be a solid depth D-man.

We lack depth on D big time this year. He's a definitive upgrade over Marincin.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
You would think the Leafs had Montreal's record instead.
Your GM is only looking for a top pairing RHD period.
Your depth is the two rookies when everyone is back healthy.
As 7th and 8th Dmen you could do a lot worse.

Last edited:

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
What's the point? Oesterle's only marginally better than Marincin.

And acquiring a top4 defenceman (as Toronto is clearly trying to do) would still push Marincin down the depth chart anyway. This move is unnecessary now, and would be made totally redundant if Toronto lands a bigger fish.

And the Leafs have other borderline NHL defencemen in the minors right now, too. So it's not like Marincin is the last option in the system. Gravel, Harpur, and Schmaltz played a combined 107 NHL games last season between them. It's not like the world would end if any of them were pressed into an NHL shift this year

A bottom pair guy like Oesterle doesn't move the needle in any way.

Reactions: qqaz and Magic Man

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Since Toronto is not sending back an NHL contract in this scenario, I guess they’d send someone down to accommodate?

They don't have that option either. They are capped out right now. If the roster was fully healthy, they need to waive guys and there is no one who would pass through waivers.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
They don't have that option either. They are capped out right now. If the roster was fully healthy, they need to waive guys and there is no one who would pass through waivers.
Trade Machine - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I put Oesterle in and Schmaltz & Marincin out. It was approved. All of Marincin's 700k NHL salary can be buried in the AHL (up to 900k). So I would suspect if the Leafs traded Schmaltz for Oesterle, and assigned Marincin to the AHL, they would be cap compliant. That's what Capfriendly shows anyway. At least for today. I don't know about other factors later on with IR or whatever.

I don't know anything or care at all about Marincin or the Leaf's bottom-pair. I have no idea whether Oesterle is better than Marincin. And I really don't care about acquiring Schmaltz, who is purely an AHL player.

I'm simply responding to a thread created by a Leafs fan stating he wanted Oesterle and felt he was an upgrade on Marincin. Assuming those things are true, I doubt AZ would need more back than a minor-leaguer who's cheaper. You asserted the Leafs couldn't do that due to cap constraints. Capfriendly says they can. At least today.

As for whatever else they have going on with injuries to Rielly and Ceci and whatever else, I have no idea. I don't pay attention.

Reactions: qqaz

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Trade Machine - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I put Oesterle in and Schmaltz & Marincin out. It was approved. All of Marincin's 700k NHL salary can be buried in the AHL (up to 900k). So I would suspect if the Leafs traded Schmaltz for Oesterle, and assigned Marincin to the AHL, they would be cap compliant. That's what Capfriendly shows anyway. At least for today. I don't know about other factors later on with IR or whatever.

I don't know anything or care at all about Marincin or the Leaf's bottom-pair. I have no idea whether Oesterle is better than Marincin. And I really don't care about acquiring Schmaltz, who is purely an AHL player.

I'm simply responding to a thread created by a Leafs fan stating he wanted Oesterle and felt he was an upgrade on Marincin. Assuming those things are true, I doubt AZ would need more back than a minor-leaguer who's cheaper. You asserted the Leafs couldn't do that due to cap constraints. Capfriendly says they can. At least today.

As for whatever else they have going on with injuries to Rielly and Ceci and whatever else, I have no idea. I don't pay attention.

Right, that is what I am trying to tell you, is it goes through due to injuries, but when healthy, this trade doesn't work.

So why lose a decent depth player on waivers to add a guy who is comparable to Marincin? Just because a Leafs fan proposed it doesn't mean they have anyone who agree's with them.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Obviously. Could have gone without saying.

Don't know. Don't care. Ask the guy up top in the OP.

I literally said that deal doesn't work because the Leafs have no cap wiggle room to let another team "save on cap". You started all of this BS for no reason. Go be offended somewhere else.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I literally said that deal doesn't work because the Leafs have no cap wiggle room to let another team "save on cap". You started all of this BS for no reason. Go be offended somewhere else.

A Leafs fan brought this up, and a Yotes fan provided a well thought out response to "what would it take".

rt didn't start anything. There was no "BS" until your post here. No one was offended except you.

Easy, tiger.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
If Oesterle expired this season they might bite on a deal around Schmaltz. But, even if they can afford him this season, it's not worth it because it messes up the cap situation with a depth player that is probably not highly coveted by the team for next season.

Marincin is 700K for next season. He sucks, but he's cheap, Oesterle sucks but makes twice the cap.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I've found him to be a solid depth D-man.

We lack depth on D big time this year. He's a definitive upgrade over Marincin.

Half the teams in the league would have a better depth option available for not too much more than the 5th someone mentioned. Aim higher, he won't help

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->