Player Discussion Jordan Greenway

Discussion in 'Minnesota Wild' started by TaLoN, Oct 17, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. TaLoN

TaLoN All Hail the FBJ!

I'm now convinced he would be better served working on his game in Iowa.

2. DeagleJenkins

DeagleJenkins Registered User

Shipping
    agreed. let him go down and tear it up down there.

3. Saga of the Elk

Saga of the Elk Registered User

I'm sure he would be good for Iowa. Especially now with Hendy and JEE out it's just not gonna happen. Maybe you think it's undeserved - he probably wouldn't have made the Olympics if the NHL sent players either!

A tanking team would definitely have Greenway down and, say, Kloos up, but that's not this team.

4. Bazeek

Bazeek Registered Lurker

No, he won't be cheaper if you take Ennis too
    I don't think getting sent down would hurt him, but I'm not convinced staying in Minnesota is going to hurt him (or the Wild) either. I thought things were clicking a bit more for him in the second half of last game. If they continue to click for the next few games they might as well keep him. If he goes back to treading water, send him down.

And yeah, the injuries make him getting sent down pretty unlikely regardless.

5. Goose312

Goose312 Registered User

He shouldn't have been gifted a spot just because he's big and Bruce loves big physical guys. He does some things really well like battling behind the net, but such a small subset of game in NHL ready he needs to get to Iowa and spend 20 minutes a night improving the things that need work.

6. nickschultzfan

nickschultzfan Registered User

Of course it would be good for him.

That' why we will never do it. Through multiple GMs, the Wild have always acted like Iowa is the last place a good prospect should be.

7. Saga of the Elk

If anyone can name one player better than Jordan Greenway on the Iowa roster, then sure. Maybe Kunin, who needs the rehab stint?

It's bad management when you have guys who deserve opportunities, who have shown they can play in the AHL, and you keep a kid who's over his head. You don't learn to be an NHLer by playing in a lesser league. It's just not how things are done. You can learn to be a better pro, grow in various ways, but when you're good enough to be in the NHL, there's no point to the assignment.

And I'd put the blame for this on Fletcher. Iowa has been quite bad. They haven't signed vets, they haven't drafted players, and it's going to take some time to build that depth back to where it should be.

8. Goose312

Goose312 Registered User

It's all going to be subjective to say anyone in Iowa is better than Greenway when with less than 2 months of pro experience he's been given more of a chance than guys who have put in multiple pro seasons. Read, Rau, Kloos all had good preseasons. Anas had a great AHL season last year and showed some flashes of ability in preseason.

But Greenway gets penciled into the slot and ends up even playing on lines with Zucker and Staal while the other guys aren't matched with NHL talent even in preseason and are sent down behind a guy who has managed 4 points in 17 NHL games while looking lost on defense. I think Greenway will be good, but I'm betting right now there are a few guys in Iowa who are better for the NHL roster if they are given the same chances he has been gifted.

9. a79krgm

a79krgm Registered User

A waste of time
    Home Page:
    I liked the way he pushed around Goligoski like a rag doll. Yes, I think he can stay up here just because he's big. His size on the forecheck should create opportunities to score for others for now. The rest of his game should come along as the year progresses.

10. Dr Jan Itor

Dr Jan Itor Registered User

It’s just a philosophical thing. Some people see the AHL as place to stash injury call-ups; others as a useful developmental tool. I’m still hoping to move toward the latter, but we didn’t with JEE and aren’t with Greenway.

11. nickschultzfan

nickschultzfan Registered User

In an organization that has been historically deprived of offensive ability, it's quite remarkable how it has never looked in the mirror and asked whether they are actually developing offensive ability for the talent they do have.

An offensive player must know that (1) he can make a particular shot, pass, or other play and (2) that he must make that play.

By putting a prospect in the NHL early, you attack the second part. You immediately create doubt in the player, and you shift the focus to not making mistakes.

And if the player remains in that state long enough, you then degrade the player's ability to do even the first part, because it's been a couple of up and down seasons, and instead of taking 10+ shots or great passes a game, the player has been performing on average 1 of those plays a game.

And after that, if the path continues, then that player becomes just a role playing vet.

The whole point of the AHL is to get the player to learn the professional side of the game while that player continues to have 10+ great offensive plays a game.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  12. Saga of the Elk

Good post, although the AHL is not purely a developmental league (nor is the ECHL for that matter).

Again, I'd say the biggest problem the Wild have in producing points is they simply don't draft guys like that. Sokolov and Shaw are two major exceptions. This team has willingly drafted guys with ZERO goals in their draft season - MORE THAN ONCE. It's crazy and that draft "philosophy" is a primary reason why there's not much offense at the NHL level to my mind, not keeping guys who can play in the NHL at a lesser level.