Not open for further replies.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
NoPosNameGAPPIM123OTTS+/-123OTTOTSHFAVG
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
18FGREENWAY Jordan101204-10:00 15:27 23 0:40
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Decent stats if you look only by number and the facts they actually lost to Slovenia.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Greenway playing C for Team USA, after switching to C at Boston is sure interesting. Wonder what the odds the Wild will give that a whirl when he turns pro.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He seems like he is still a work in progress physically, but man, is he BIG. I think the Wild will have to be careful with him. He has to be able to take care of himself when he comes into the NHL, because he will get the attention of some rough customers. Imagine a line of him, Coyle, and Nino (not a bad duo to back him up).

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
I really like his game so far. He moves better than I thought we would and his fore-checking is very effective. Opposing defensemen need to skate an extra step or two to escape his wingspan. If he impresses versus OAR then I might think that the Wild need him sooner than later.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
NoPosNameGAPPIM123OTTS+/-123OTTOTSHFAVG
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

18FGREENWAY Jordan0002 40 16:31200:49
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Solid going. Managed to deliver four shots and played okay minutes!

Wabit

May 23, 2016
He more than held his own on the Olympic stage against the 2nd tier pro hockey players. It was on the big ice too, and his game is more suited towards NA smaller ice.

I feel bad for the kid, losing before the medal round. He'll have some people in his ear telling him to stay in school for the rest of the season at least, and others saying to go pro as soon as he gets back Stateside.

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
Everything I've seen says he will finish out the year at BU and then go pro, doesn't seem like the type of guy who will jump ship early like Okposo did to the Gophers all those years ago.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Someone posted that he is a good student? If so, then he might want to finish the year, then sign.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I hope he finishes his semester. BU is on the cusp, they should push for a tourney berth. Greenway has some nice tools but he's not going to be a help to the Wild anytime soon. He looked way behind the other prospects (Terry and Donato) in my opinion, in speed and in reads.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I agree with Peter. The kid looked like he wasn't out of his depth, but he was definitely behind the other NCAA players on that Olympic team. I mean, we all knew that was probably the case, right? He's a player that has a ton of potential, and could probably play on the 4th line today, but is still a project as a top six skater. I think he's probably the type of player that will drive a lot of fans crazy at first with mistakes and bad penalties, just like Dumba did, but like with Dumba, patience should pay off. He's still very raw, but watching him you can see the potential that made the scouts rate him highly. Some of his passes were eye popping, and he's just impossible to move from in front of the net or along the boards. I do like that he's playing center, now. If he ends up being a center and reaching his potential - or even getting close to it - he'll be a huge piece for the Wild, no pun intended.

But speaking of size, would he be the largest center in the NHL? The only guys I can think of that are comparable are Brian Boyle and Martin Hanzal. Am I missing anyone?

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
But speaking of size, would he be the largest center in the NHL? The only guys I can think of that are comparable are Brian Boyle and Martin Hanzal. Am I missing anyone?

Kevin Hayes I think is a good comp. I thought of Anisimov, but Greenway is much bigger. Logan Brown would be another if he makes it.

Reactions: BagHead

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I agree with Peter. The kid looked like he wasn't out of his depth, but he was definitely behind the other NCAA players on that Olympic team. I mean, we all knew that was probably the case, right? He's a player that has a ton of potential, and could probably play on the 4th line today, but is still a project as a top six skater. I think he's probably the type of player that will drive a lot of fans crazy at first with mistakes and bad penalties, just like Dumba did, but like with Dumba, patience should pay off. He's still very raw, but watching him you can see the potential that made the scouts rate him highly. Some of his passes were eye popping, and he's just impossible to move from in front of the net or along the boards. I do like that he's playing center, now. If he ends up being a center and reaching his potential - or even getting close to it - he'll be a huge piece for the Wild, no pun intended.

Depends on how tall he really is. HDB has Greenway listed at 6'5''. NHL.com has Boyle, Hanzal, Bjugstad and Logan Brown listed at 6'6''. Kevin Hayes, Adam Lowry,Tyler Graovac, Freddi Gauthier, and Tage Thompson at 6'5'' and then a whole bunch of guys at 6'4''

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Kid is NHL ready IMO. May still need to work on scoring touch, but he's a PF and he basically makes Coyle expendable to move.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Depends on how tall he really is. HDB has Greenway listed at 6'5''. NHL.com has Boyle, Hanzal, Bjugstad and Logan Brown listed at 6'6''. Kevin Hayes, Adam Lowry,Tyler Graovac, Freddi Gauthier, and Tage Thompson at 6'5'' and then a whole bunch of guys at 6'4''

6'5" is actually smaller than I thought he was. I thought I read on his draft profile that he was 6'6" or 6'7". In any case, he certainly looks huge. Yeah, actually I just looked him up and it looks like some places list him at 6'5" others at 6'6". Truth might be somewhere in the middle?

I also agree that Coyle is definitely not expendable, barring a major roster change. I understand people get annoyed with how streaky Coyle is, but he's a roughly 50 point power forward, putting him solidly in 2nd line production (actually, low-end 1st line). Greenway cannot replace Coyle at the moment, he's just not good enough.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
6'5" is actually smaller than I thought he was. I thought I read on his draft profile that he was 6'6" or 6'7". In any case, he certainly looks huge. Yeah, actually I just looked him up and it looks like some places list him at 6'5" others at 6'6". Truth might be somewhere in the middle?

I also agree that Coyle is definitely not expendable, barring a major roster change. I understand people get annoyed with how streaky Coyle is, but he's a roughly 50 point power forward, putting him solidly in 2nd line production (actually, low-end 1st line). Greenway cannot replace Coyle at the moment, he's just not good enough.
I completely agree with you about Coyle, but even for those that aren't fans. This team currently has 7 top 9 forwards, even if Greenway steps right into the NHL you still need more quality forwards.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

He just looks big, but the Olympics didn't have the 6'4" goalies on every team that we're used to seeing nightly in the NHL. So it kind of messes with the size perception.

If Coyle was a LHS he'd be expendable, his RHS makes him more valuable to this Wild team.

I think Greenway needs a season in the AHL to get some seasoning and big minutes playtime if he's going to be more than a bottom-6 grinder. If things go right he could be Coyle's replacement when his contract is up.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I hope he finishes his semester. BU is on the cusp, they should push for a tourney berth. Greenway has some nice tools but he's not going to be a help to the Wild anytime soon. He looked way behind the other prospects (Terry and Donato) in my opinion, in speed and in reads.

He didn't see one second of OT time, where the other two college kids were out every 3rd shift.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
He didn't see one second of OT time, where the other two college kids were out every 3rd shift.

OT isn't hockey for me: 3v3 in the prelims, and 4v4 in the knockout round. No reason for Greenway to be playing in that type of game especially on the big ice. US coach was smarter than that.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
He also played for a coach that really doesn't have a sniff of what he's doing.

You don't get to be a head coach in the NHL, much less take your team to the playoffs twice if that's the case. Maybe he has some limitations but that's an odd thing to say about Tony Granato.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
OT isn't hockey for me: 3v3 in the prelims, and 4v4 in the knockout round. No reason for Greenway to be playing in that type of game especially on the big ice. US coach was smarter than that.

It’s a bummer that his skating ability doesn’t allow for it.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

This reminds me of conversations last year on this board when it was assumed that Ek would replace Haula with no problem. Nothing is assured with prospects!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad